You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BrunoSchezer

Rebuilding History: Rivadavia and other Warships.

16 comments in this topic

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles

First of all, if this topic does not correspond to this section, mods, feel free to move it to the one you think is convenient, thanks.

Well folks, it's official: I’m creating this topic to share my work, which I have been doing for a long time and I would like you to know a little about it. I have been working on what it would be, a recreation of ships belonging to the small navies, considering that now WG has its plans in the Pan-American and Pan-European branches, and for now I am focused on the battleships (and with time, it will be about other type of ships and from major nations). Taking into account the time it takes to create each model, I decided to show in this topic, how they evolve until its completion, and in this case, it will be about the battleships of the Rivadavia class, which, later and in its own section, we will talk about how to implement it in the game.

We know  what is essential to be able to recreate these kind of things, and they are the blueprints. WG needs all the necessary material, ranging from the blueprints to photographs and reports, but all that take time, and that time must be used to get the information, analyze it and then recreate it in a 3D model, which must then be submitted to quality controls, implemented in the game and be tested.

In the case of the Rivadavia battleships, I have done everything in my power to be able to recreate this class, using only a simple bleprint with the ship's baselines (since it is impossible for me to find full blueprints,  from a Argentine source or from the Fore River Shipyard, in USA).

Spoiler

qUG9bVh.jpg

That, and a varied amount of historical photographs of Rivadavia and Moreno, which show that both ships carry with them subtle differences, which, I will reproduce as best I can.

Of course, to recreate both ships will be a somewhat complicated task, for now, I hope to be able to correct certain flaws in the model (especially the hull, in the bow section) and hope this can also be used as “another reference source" for our developers and a future source of work for me (something that I hope may happen in the near future). But for now, I will be happy if this could end being something useful for WG and for the whole community.

That said, here the current state of Rivadavia (which is show with a mixed appearance of 1935 and the end of its years of service, in addition, the bridge is more similar to the one used on Moreno).

Spoiler

UQL3jmv.jpg

Spoiler

MleG8Fp.jpg

Each component modeled so far was made from cero and based on that general plan and several photographs that I used as a graphic reference.

Spoiler

W76DrLH.jpgsTBUTFG.jpg

There you can compare a photograph of the Rivadavia bridge with the modeling by me. You will notice a certain difference, since it was created using the bridge of Moreno.

Spoiler

dX1EytK.jpgr20ZGrr.jpg

Detail of the feathers for the boats. It is quite difficult to find a photograph that shows each aspect well in detail, but this is better than nothing at the moment.

For now, that's the overall progress, and here you'll see, what I'm working on right now:

Spoiler

cxyZ8IH.jpg

Vickers-Odero Terni Mod 1929 AA guns, from the Heavy Cruisers Veinticinco de Mayo and Almirante Brown, which were installed in Rivadavia and Moreno. The model created is based on a surviving piece, exhibited in a Naval Museum, in Buenos Aires.

Spoiler

ext18.JPG

Well, I hope you liked it and find it useful. Soon, I will update the progress in Rivadavia and also in other vessels in this topic. See you Captains!

• Cool 10

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles
9 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Great stuff!

What software are you using? Blender?

Many thanks!

For now, just SketchUpPro (I will need time to learn about Blender or Maya)

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles

Well guys, coming here again to update the progress on my work:

I was somewhat busy with real-life things, but I found time to continue working on a few things, especially, I wanted to fix certain flaws.

Spoiler

sS4Lmq4.jpg

Spoiler

YtEYWb0.jpg

Finally, the ship is Rivadavia itself, since after doing a complete search for photos of the superstructure control bridge, I managed to identify the differences between Rivadavia and Moreno in that section, and here are the corrections:

- Railings were applied on the 3rd and 4th floor.

-The inner tower was added inside the latice structure.

-The main rangefinder was modified to fit the figure of the real model.

-Tights and supports were added to the 1 and 2 platform where a 40mm Bofor cannon and two reflectors are located.

-Different details: stairs, doors, portholes.

-The fireplaces were detailed.

And what else had me with a headache, the bow:

Spoiler

vL4qxPT.jpg

Finally it looks better, only need add details in the hull such as, portholes, openings of underwater torpedo tubes, etc.

And finally, this is the current aspect of the AA Odero-Terni in which I was working diligently:

Spoiler

J0usGDO.jpg

This is almost done, so then I will have time to continue detailing things and once I finish it, I will continue with what I had armed before prioritizing this:

Spoiler

idHIXzf.jpg

The Almirante Latorre, on which I will dedicate once I finish with Rivadavia (or who knows, maybe I could work in parallel, as long as I have the time to do that). Anyway, I hope you like the update and soon there will be more.

See you!

[A-I-M]
Members
3,009 posts
22,027 battles

What a nice rendering, clearly a labor of love (and a lot of research). 

• Cool 2

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

This was such a strange class of BBs. I want to say they were outclassed by Minas Gerais boats simply because the latter wasn't such a hodgepodge of national characteristics.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

[FURIA]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,961 posts
6,096 battles
7 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I want to say they were outclassed by Minas Gerais boats simply because the latter wasn't such a hodgepodge of national characteristics.

You would be wrong.  Minas Gerais simply lack the armour to withstand the Rivadavias. Rivadavia may be the Frankenstein monster, yet they were very tough monsters. Just look at Brasialian reaction. They ordered the Rio de Janeiro (HMS Agincourt) and then sold it. Agincourt/Rio de Janeiro  was not enough to counter the Rivadavias. They contracted to build the Riachuelo, which is basically a more armored Queen Elizabeth. The Riachuelo would have been the strongest ship in the Southern Hemisphere. At least till Chile and Argentina reacted with some other monsters.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles

I would definitely like to see the South American dreadnoughts that actually made it into South American service be given precedence before any war-surplus ships, and certainly before Rio de Janeiro. I accept there are some Brazilians who want her, but the fact that the Brazilian Government sold her on should disqualify her from that IMHO. There are plenty of others that actually served South American navies; let them be given their day in the sun.

The debate over whether Agincourt should also be a pan-European ship as the Sultan Osman I, with the Turkish Ensign on her masthead, is another matter - but that's an argument for elsewhere, and frankly I would rather see the Goeben get first call on that score (and for the same reason; she actually wore the Turkish flag in battle).

By all means, South American Dreadnoughts. Bring them on, even if they are not the best vehicles into which to put a WW2-era light cruiser captain.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles
14 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

What a nice rendering, clearly a labor of love (and a lot of research). 

Many thanks for your words! That make me happy about the work I am doing with this, thanks.:cap_like:

Is kinda dificult to gatter the necesary historical material, and more if is about those kinda of ships. It was a surprise there was at least one book centered on the dreadnought naval race in southamerica, but still the lack of complete blueprints of the ships involved make the work not too much easy. Still, there is plenty of photos to solve the problem at some point (at least in the case of Rivadavia and Moreno, I need to research for photos of Minas Gerais and Latorre).

13 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Great work. She'd be, what... T4?

Many thanks dude. Indeed, she is T4 material, a good (maybe kinda strong) T4. Of course, this is following her strenght and the historical progression only (Minas Gerais T3, Rivadavia T4 and Latorre T5). But she can be pushed to T5 (and even more, if WG try to add a variation of her proposed reconstructed scheme to be made in germany with 350mm main guns).

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I would definitely like to see the South American dreadnoughts that actually made it into South American service be given precedence before any war-surplus ships, and certainly before Rio de Janeiro. I accept there are some Brazilians who want her, but the fact that the Brazilian Government sold her on should disqualify her from that IMHO. There are plenty of others that actually served South American navies; let them be given their day in the sun.

The debate over whether Agincourt should also be a pan-European ship as the Sultan Osman I, with the Turkish Ensign on her masthead, is another matter - but that's an argument for elsewhere, and frankly I would rather see the Goeben get first call on that score (and for the same reason; she actually wore the Turkish flag in battle).

By all means, South American Dreadnoughts. Bring them on, even if they are not the best vehicles into which to put a WW2-era light cruiser captain.

Thanks for the interest in those ships. I am with you in the manner of having the real and the ones who saw service on each navy, but keep in mind WG could do something in a way to make "happy" both sides (the guys who want Rio and the guys who want Agincourt and other similar cases, like Canada/Latorre, De Zeven Provincien/Almirante Grau, etc) and handle the ships in the way the released Nueve/Boise. That is a fair movement to solve the problem, just in case WG want make happy both sides and earn more money of course.

• Cool 1

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles

Well folks, it's official: it's been a long time, but here we come back to update the progress in the construction of the Rivadavia battleship in 3D. Let's see what the ship looks like right now:

Spoiler

GzbSyS1.jpg

I would say that it is already 90-95% complete. Due to real life, jobs, etc., I didn't have time to give it more work, but I managed to detail certain things, such as:

Spoiler

8qy2fzA.jpgJNm39Ku.jpg

Details on the aft tripod. There are still a few ends to "tie", but it is getting quite close to what the photo on the left reflects. Further:

Spoiler

wDmRKmj.jpg

Stairs, portholes and doors for the aft deck. Notice the strange armament on Turret No. 5, they are a pair of 40mm AA guns modeled as placeholders until I could find photographs or details about those 40mm Bofors Mk1-2 guns, supposedly taken from the army and adapted to be installed on turrets N ° 2, N ° 5 and on the platform in the center of the forward control bridge. From the army or not, naval or not, I will do what I can to model them, just as I did with the Vickers-Terni. And finally:

Spoiler

n5J7Yi6.jpg

I can say that it will not be necessary to continue modeling the towers for boats. Although structurally it is finished, there are very small elements that, although they would be easy to create (such as ropes for example), the limited number of photos, the lack of good angles, do not allow me to see where everything connects, so it will be a bit empty. However, elements such as vents and others can be added, like is reflected in the image.

That is all for now. I will continue polishing and giving more detail until I finish everything that can be added to the model, I just hope to finish before the end of the year. Until the next update, see you Captains!

• Cool 1

[FURIA]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,961 posts
6,096 battles

Impresionante bruno, Impresionante

• Cool 1

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles
On 12/5/2019 at 5:04 AM, Talleyrand said:

Impresionante bruno, Impresionante

On 12/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, JackBauerArg said:

excelente laburo estimado!

Many thanks guys! (Gracias, estimados!)

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,245 posts
19,517 battles

Excellent job!!! Espectacular Bruno, se ven fantasticos!

Hope WG start releasing SA ships, there is a lot of work done by many players to provide info for a South American navy

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,042 posts
8,631 battles
On 12/6/2019 at 11:04 PM, barbaroja_Ar said:

Excellent job!!! Espectacular Bruno, se ven fantasticos!

Hope WG start releasing SA ships, there is a lot of work done by many players to provide info for a South American navy

Many thanks, estimado @barbaroja_Ar!

Indeed, there is a lot of ships to add and a lot of people to provide the info.

I just hope WG start adding more SA ships into the game, and at the same time, hope my own work could be useful to they.