You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ShakaSenketsu

Suggestion: Ice fields game mode

6 comments in this topic

[LHSU]
Members
191 posts
3,512 battles

Ok here is an idea for a new “game mode” or a new mechanic, as we know devs are working on destructible objects like icebergs check here, so this idea may be interesting

What are ice fields?

An extensive area of ice on the surface of the ocean consisting of multiple ice floes and covering an area that is greater than 10 kilometers (6 miles) across

An area covered with “thin” ice enough to be broken by ships (the famous icebreakers) or several “little” peaces of ice concentrated in the area, now I know military ships ([edited], CCs DDs) are not icebreakers and only some of them could deal with ice specially WW2 warships, so here is when I’m taking advatage of the fact that is an arcade game to this mode

seaice1.jpg (1600Ã1200)

The whole purpose of this mode is create a cap only for “icebreakers” or directly battleships/battlecruisers, I know is kinda dumb I mean the concept of “they can break the ice because they are big” or “they could survive because they had armour”  but this would be a really nice way to make battleships more active and something more interesting and new like taking caps, also I’m suggesting ice fields like you’ll seen in the examples I will put down here, the idea is not ramming icebergs or anything too massive just a cape of ice

I know and understand why battleships or battlecruisers can not be icebreakers, and why those special ships can, I don’t wanna enter into too much technical things so I end this here, but if someone wanna talk more about the toppic go ahead, also other reason was I coudn’t find anything too good to put it here I only read that some of them have capabilities for ice in some forums but nothing too consistent to use it here but would be nice to see it if in fact was possible

The design is of course diferent for ice purpose, is for normal sea

main-qimg-eebb57ef64f4f041effba1b701d78cad

And here the nose of an ice breaker wich is special for that

GUSOX565PFGPHHEEMJP5EHEKEY.jpg

I took some videos of a TV serie “whale wars” as an example, I know this guys are a little bit controversial so please focus only in the ships and the ice, also this guys have the best material for the topic

Here is a ship with no protection for ice charging into it, the captain explains that is possible to go through by going slow and pushing the ice, I took this guys material because is basicaly showing a situation hard to find in video,  ship with not ice clasification into a massive ice field

This may be a good example of could happend if a ligh cruiser or a DD tries to enter the ice, not impossible but not easy

Please watch  the minute 37:05  (sorry for the quality I coudn’t find anything better)

And in this other you can see something very similar of what could it be for battleships and battlecruisers, here is a ship with ice reinforcement charging into the ice, something like this would be nice in game, the point of this is to create an idea of what I’m talking when I say enter into the ice fields

To give it a little bit of realism and balance here some proposal caracteristics:

In the ice

Only battleships or battlecruisers can break the ice efficiently

The speed of battleships and battlecruisers entering in the area would be reduced to 17 or 20 knods

Once a battleships has created a path is possile to destroyers and normal or light cruisers to enter in that area, if they try to enter will crash and get stuck, I was thinkiing of taking damage too but this could be too complicated or bad my be just slow them instead

Since the speed is reduced and the maneobrability is compromissed the concealment could be also reduced, this will make possible to the BB to cap that area in the ice and not get focus by the enemy fleet and being reset over and over again, something similar of what happen in the normal storms we have in game

Torpedos can not be used in the ice field because basicaly they could hit the ice in the surface, maybe deep wáter torps could make it but this could cause BBs to not entering into the area and the main propouse is make them enter and fight that cap. Also if there is an open area the normal torps can work

About CVs… these guys are always hard to balance, in the begining I was thinking that they can not enter too, but they have the size for doing it and some can deal with the ice in reality, the problem is to not create a safe zone for them but if you think about that, the zone is for battleships CVs will not think into invade that zone, also is a cap zone so will be in the same place as the rest, they would be in danger getting that close of being spotted at 12-15 km and not move freely. But they can strike ships in the icefield only with bombs and rockets maybe for this the air concealment could be reduced too, after all spot something in an ice field by air is really dificiult because ships can look like an iceberg and vice versa but once the target is spotted they can strike

Radar works normaly, in fact in this mode might have a good use for the radar they wanted to use in the Russian BBs

Hydro works normaly

In the ice field coud be islands or big icebergs to take cover, but not many in case a cruiser enters with the BB or if is spotted by radar

To make all the mecanis of spotting works the area covered of ice needs to be big, that’s why I thought to make these ice fields only for maps of T7-T10 or play with the detection range, something like in the storms we have already

The ice will move so not only a zone will be into the ice always

The objetive is cap zones with ice but an entire map covered on ice also could be awesome.

In open areas

Like i said in open areas everything is normal spot, torps, hydro etc.

This will appear or create randomly

This open areas could be in the middle of the ice field to make the things more spicy or to create a situation where a DD needs the help of the BB to enter, that way if they find enemy BB with his ally DD will be a 2 vs 2 battle.

To prevent stealth attacks like a BB not spotted at 12km of a cruiser they can't see each other until they are both in the same area, open or in the ice.

This is only the concept, would be awesome if you guys can contribute with more things and data about ships, like I said I couldn't find anything better. Finally i'm not an English speaker so if you find any big mistake feel free to correct me.

Thank you for reading. 

Edited by ShakaSenketsu
  • Cool 1

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,879 posts
4,881 battles

Add a  few floating iceberg that move within the ice field. If it hit a island, then it break apart or get beached on the island. It get boring to see a iceberg on the island of ice map that remain still all game. But in reality, they do move. I want to see a destroyer get stuck in there and then get hit by a moving iceberg. Then sink lol

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,776 battles

This a great idea. It could use some fleshing out simply with the idea of incorporating damage or how much it would slow a ship for balancing but that would be on the developers. Great idea though, I really like it. I'm imagining an ice flow moving across the map like the storms we have now and completely changing the tactical situation.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,851 posts
25,947 battles

Meh, just bring back the original version of the Islands of Ice map and call it good.

[LHSU]
Members
191 posts
3,512 battles
2 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

This a great idea. It could use some fleshing out simply with the idea of incorporating damage or how much it would slow a ship for balancing but that would be on the developers. Great idea though, I really like it. I'm imagining an ice flow moving across the map like the storms we have now and completely changing the tactical situation.

Yeah that's something that would make gameplay a little bit more fresh and entertaining and changing the strategies  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,441 posts
14,165 battles

All ships can operate in ice fields depending on how dense they are. Speeds would be reduced to five to ten knots for most ships. Bringing the original Islands of Ice back would be better.

Ice breaker USCGC Mackinaw followed by the ice breaking tugs USCGC Morro Bay and USCGC Katmai Bay.

• Cool 1