You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
QWERTYEel89

Sequential Vs. Salvo Fire Does it affect dispersion?

13 comments in this topic

Members
105 posts
3,384 battles

I was told in a game recently that the former helps to mitigate horizontal dispersion. Is there any truth to this? I played a game in my Turpitz and tried it. It felt like it did, though, that might have been anecdotal.

[CWM]
[CWM]
Members
609 posts
6,288 battles

I feel like it does but it’s probably just RNGesus giving you the middle finger.  I think double barrel vs triple barrel vs quad barrel has an effect too. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,485 posts

The game has been around for a long time now.  If that was a thing that was provable it would be "step 1" in every WoWs guide and guide video.  It isn't.

Also, everyone would do it.

[SLDR]
Members
250 posts
10,021 battles

I remember early on in my WOWS career, I was playing a battleship, and I noticed when I sequential-fired, the guns from the B turret always went up and to the left of the reticle.  And when I salvo-fired, 2 rounds (I guess from the same B turret) also always went up and to the left of the reticle.

Based on my memory of the experience, I'd say you do not get smaller dispersion by sequential fire.

Members
105 posts
3,384 battles

It feels a bit more comfortable in a BB, but thanks for the clarification. Perhaps sequential fire help by adjusting ever so slightly with the distance to target? Like how when we're locked on a ship it adjusts for how far it should fire to reach the target's overall distance. Since it changes in real time (such as when the target moves diagonally) maybe that's what "helps" with the dispersion.

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,422 battles

@QWERTYEel89 In salvo fire the dispersion calculation is applied to all turrets together producing the shotgun effect.

Single turret/ripple fire the calculation is made for each barrel/turret. 

I have noticed that I get hit more often by ships using ripple fire but not as many good quality hits and that ships firing well aimed salvos hit very hard more often.

I have tried both and noticed that if I aim well a salvo nets 1 to 5 hits and occasionally 1 to 3 citadel hits. Well aimed ripple fire shots from multi barrel turrets often score 1 to 3 hits per turret.

Salvo or Ripple firing from single barrel turrets seems to make no difference.

The bottom line is that with either method the quality of ones aim v a moving/evasive maneuvering target is the key.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,095 posts
18,944 battles
22 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The game has been around for a long time now.  If that was a thing that was provable it would be "step 1" in every WoWs guide and guide video.  It isn't.

Also, everyone would do it.

^

[KRAK]
Members
1,353 posts
15,233 battles

So in real life there could be an interaction between shells landing at the same time in an area of the ship, such that the damage is greater if the shells land together versus 10 seconds or so apart. But I doubt the model has that level of sophistication.

On the other hand, I have a WG BB where the rear turret is dead on with little dispersion, compared with the 1-2 turrets.

Members
105 posts
3,384 battles
10 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@QWERTYEel89 In salvo fire the dispersion calculation is applied to all turrets together producing the shotgun effect.

I have noticed that I get hit more often by ships using ripple fire but not as many good quality hits and that ships firing well aimed salvos hit very hard more often.

I have tried both and noticed that if I aim well a salvo nets 1 to 5 hits and occasionally 1 to 3 citadel hits. Well aimed ripple fire shots from multi barrel turrets often score 1 to 3 hits per turret.

The bottom line is that with either method the quality of ones aim v a moving/evasive maneuvering target is the key.

Then perhaps it was just a matter of me improving or landing some solid hits.

[BOMBS]
Members
106 posts
10,295 battles

IMO, single-shot protects you from your own poor aim, especially on a BB. One salvo every 30 seconds means that if you botch the shot, that's essentially 60 seconds of no damage output. At least with single-shots, I can correct and try again. I found my overall accuracy has improved greatly with this technique. And as a BB, who needs concealment? You should be taking damage for your team not hiding.

And, no, after 7k battles, I don't believe the dispersion is any different.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,983 posts
14,220 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Have to agree that firing all at once seems to get more citadel hits... than sequencial...for me anyways

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,744 battles

I do believe firing a full salvo is effected by a single RNG role where as each turret being fired independently gives it's own RNG per turret. I'm nearly positive this was stated somewhere by a CC or WG staff/WoWs Video. 

If this is true, which I believe it is, you could have a great RNG roll with a single salvo once a game and the rest could be horrible. The same could be true for each individual turret where as turret one shoots all over the place, turret two gets a super accurate roll, while 3 is in the middle, and 4 is again horrible.

Also when sequential firing, you may get more luck simply if you fire each turret with the enemy's corresponding moves. Basically you fire waterline and higher with each turret slightly if you believe the enemy will turn out or lower of you think they will turn in. A full salvo might completely miss with the exception of one round that goes high or low though.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,340 battles
2 hours ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

I was told in a game recently that the former helps to mitigate horizontal dispersion. Is there any truth to this?

No. The answer comes straight from RU devs.