You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

As Notser Says Here All Too Often Players Just Give Up Without Trying To Win

41 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

I've never played a match where I didn't try to win. Having said that, when my team loses the first 5 ships in a game, I tend to play a lot more recklessly to end things more swiftly.

• Cool 4

[AK]
Members
298 posts
10,755 battles

When the reds kill 5 of your teammates with 0 losses and seize all three caps within the first 6 minutes, you're not winning that game. [edited] who you are. It's happened to me three times today alone.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,083 posts
19 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

3 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I've never played a match where I didn't try to win. Having said that, when my team loses the first 5 ships in a game, I tend to play a lot more recklessly to end things more swiftly.

Talking about not even moving up to Contest/Try to take a cap I OTH  I admit to being too aggressive most of the time?  So which is worse being too aggressive or not even making an effort? My argument is for not making the effort :Smile_facepalm:

• Cool 2

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

I generally try to win. I will start making 'stupid' choices if no one else will respond to calls for aid and defeat by points is certain - trying to cap in a battleship, fighting cruisers in a Kagero, stop playing properly in CVs and focus on a target. Probably lose but with some skill and luck theres always a chance to turn it around. It has happened a few times and feels like I just kicked Ares' butt and took his throne.

If its a situation where 5 DDs die in the first four minutes or something like that, I just tend to focus on staying alive while constantly engaging one target (or sneaking up on it). This gives me good xp and is frankly the best I can do, aggression levels varying based on class.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

when it's that far gone really have two options, run right at someone to probably end it quickly or drag it out play cat and mouse. not whole lota in-between ...

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,099 posts
23,865 battles

A comeback win like this old one doesn't happen when too many people on the team just give up at the first sign of difficulty.

On a related note, just because it looks like your team will obviously win, doesn't mean it already is a win until you see the results screen proclaiming "VICTORY!"  Until you see that screen, the game can be thrown at any time.

Image result for game of throws

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,631 battles

Drag it out. Playing on the edge of defeat means learning to deal with low HP, multiple enemies, and concrete loss conditions. When you MUST stop the Yugumo from capping but there's a full-HP Des Moines between you and him, you're forced to come up with a play in ten seconds and execute.

I like the challenge personally. Being smart with consumables and vision has taught me a lot.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts

Why would this surprise anyone, when most players hardly play?

H75kkN0.png

When 78% of the players play less than 20 games a month...winning really isn't the issue, lack of engagement in the game is.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,083 posts
28 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A comeback win like this old one doesn't happen when too many people on the team just give up at the first sign of difficulty.

On a related note, just because it looks like your team will obviously win, doesn't mean it already is a win until you see the results screen proclaiming "VICTORY!"  Until you see that screen, the game can be thrown at any time.

Image result for game of throws

Yup unfortunately all too many won't even make the effort:Smile_sad: And when don't even try there's no reward

240 posts
135 battles

There is no such thing as "giving up" - only the allocation of resources based on the possibility of a positive outcome.

Low probability of winning = why even bother, might as well try your luck in a different battle

[-K-]
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I've never played a match where I didn't try to win.

Some matches become simply unwinnable at a certain point. When that is the case, I just start farming damage. 

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,083 posts
9 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Some matches become simply unwinnable at a certain point. When that is the case, I just start farming damage. 

Many people won't even do that,At the end of battle because they sat in the back occasionally sniping if they even do that much,Many time I've seen where from the start to finish they hadn't shot even once

Edited by shadowsrmine

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
18 minutes ago, awiggin said:

When 78% of the players play less than 20 games a month...winning really isn't the issue, lack of engagement in the game is.

Well it's also a server issue; the NA is worse by far in player behavior compared to the RU or even EU, and since it's also on the lower end of the spectrum of players/profits, why should wargaming cater to this market? NA is a nice to have, not a driver.

[CVA16]
Members
5,392 posts
16,221 battles

It does become demoralizing when a loss becomes (almost) certain early in a match. Personally I will try to bump my score (farm damage instead of playing/defending objectives) to try to come out on top of scoreboard. It is amazing and depressing at the same time to have a bad game (low damage, kills etc.) and still end up at the top of roster.

[SYJ]
Members
131 posts
13,034 battles

I always want / try to win but I do start to give up when my team is failing miserably.  I'll usually get to aggressive to try to make up for others then the RNG bat comes out and you can't hit anything to save you life, even a broadside Pensacola.  Or worse realize the rest of your team is still behind an island reading Pat the Bunny and not aware of you plight. 

Members
70 posts
12 battles
38 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Why would this surprise anyone, when most players hardly play?

H75kkN0.png

More interesting are the 45 players on AS server who played over 3k games last month.  Oh boy, wonder how they did that. Even bots need to eat & sleep sometime.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
4 minutes ago, Doctor_RigaKOTS said:

More interesting are the 45 players on AS server who played over 3k games last month.  Oh boy, wonder how they did that.

Rounding a few things to keep the maths simple, 3000 battles in 30 days is 100 battles a day, a little over than four battles per hour and certainly less than five.

Given that a co-op battle can be over in SIX MINUTES, and allowing some padding in between to select the next ship, etc., it's not impossible for human players working in relay to get around the sleep issue to play six battles an hour.  But that's in co-op, in relay, so anyone exceeding that on their own has to be wondered about.

[KRAK]
Members
3,715 posts
21,733 battles
1 hour ago, CTMAADawson said:

When the reds kill 5 of your teammates with 0 losses and seize all three caps within the first 6 minutes, you're not winning that game. IDGAF who you are. It's happened to me three times today alone.

I was on 3 teams just yesterday where we were losing big by the 5-minute mark, down by 5 or more ships and a buttload of points but still came back to win.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
224 posts
1,675 battles

I give up when my team gives up...this is usually discernable in the first two minutes...when DDs sit in spawn...top tier BBs turn away from a cap the moment shooting starts...or cruisers rush full on in to get spotted and then begin their turn of death.

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles
52 minutes ago, Doctor_RigaKOTS said:

More interesting are the 45 players on AS server who played over 3k games last month.  Oh boy, wonder how they did that. Even bots need to eat & sleep sometime.

People are crazy sometimes. I remember a story of a person passing away in a net cafe for gaming in there for 3 days straight. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,083 posts
1 minute ago, Yoshiblue said:

People are crazy sometimes. I remember a story of a person passing away in a net cafe for gaming in there for 3 days straight. 

In So.Korea playing Diablo III:Smile_sad::Smile_facepalm:Yeah saw the story

[NGAGE]
Members
186 posts
12,596 battles

Any one playing 3k games in one month should be banned on principle.  Even if they are not a bot (which is stupid that we are even saying they are not) giving them a three day ban may save their life.

[--K--]
Members
33 posts
7,518 battles
2 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Why are you here?

[KSD]
Members
254 posts
11,493 battles
26 minutes ago, LordOFace said:

Any one playing 3k games in one month should be banned on principle.  Even if they are not a bot (which is stupid that we are even saying they are not) giving them a three day ban may save their life.

Isn’t that what an intervention is for. Need to call up their family and friends.