Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Kitakaze, what am I doing wrong?

33 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
785 posts
2,779 battles

I do really like this Diet Coke light cruiser, it has a lot of good points but I just seem to be messed up in the luck dept. I can play it stealthily and avoid conflict while spotting for the team (yawn) and getting the odd torp hit but every time I run into a Gearing, Fetcher, or pretty much any other tier 8+ DD I get torn to shreds in seconds (cruisers even faster), yet my cannons only hit for 200-300 (AP and HE) with a very high zero pen or bounce factor. My last game I was 199 hits for 17k damage (with the better HE shell). While I get hit for heavy blows and engine/module crippling hits every second. I'm not playing aggressive either but on smaller maps you are always going to run into trouble especially if the enemy team is pushing. 

I hear people say this boat is OP and should be nerfed but I'm not sure why? It has OK stealth, good AA and fast firing, albeit, weak guns. It also has the turning circle of a Battleship and its torps take forever to load (yeah I know its a gunboat but everyone knows torps are the key weapon). The only time it excels is when its hidden and can engage enemy ships that are distracted. Even then it only has a 10-20% pen rate. I've had a few games where I've sunk 5+ ships and scored over 100++k damage but all to often I don't have much luck. Lately I'll just sit out the first 5-10m and just play a AA support ship with some scouting. Once the radar cruisers and enemy DD's are thinned out a bit I can go a bit more offensive but even then it so fragile that even salvo it receives wipes massive amounts of health off... 

[DTB]
Members
264 posts

Sounds like all of the IJN 'gunboat' DDs - weak in both guns and torps and thus useless except as a spotter.

• Confused 5

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
536 posts
8,906 battles

what do you mean by the better he shell?  also the only time you want to use ap on the kita is when a ship is broadside to you, the second that ship starts to angle you switch to HE. You should be able to pen any dd aside from the kab with your he shell without the need of the IFHE.  So the only thing i can think of is your aiming is a little off because you should be able to stred a gearing or fletcher apart with your guns 

[SYN]
Members
3,685 posts
22,465 battles

There are a few basic questions to be looked at first like; How have you set the ship up? What are your captain skills? Do you have IFHE? etc.

Once you have a solid build then look at some youtube vids to see how others are playing their ship. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CVV_QxU4CesZL5pvdJw4A/search?query=kitakaze

It is a very good ship but like all DDs if you expose yourself you are going to get whacked hard.

Edited by Camo68

[KWF]
Members
4,381 posts
6,405 battles

Do you use IFHE first of all? Secondly, is your Commander at least 14 Points? It's the minimum to be efficient in Kita. Do you have any replay to share? That could tell a little bit more on how exactly you play and what issues you may face. When it comes to dealing with DDs in general you got similar concealment as them. If you enter a cap to meet them, try doing so in reverse or have an escape route in mind to make a quick getaway. Kitakaze is one of the deadliest DD vs DD ships, be it firing HE or AP.

As for torps, while it's true they permit you to be a torpedo boat every time the Torpedo Reload Booster is available, the gunnery is very important. Your speed and stealth permit looking for isolated targets, smoking up or using terrain then spamming them with either HE or AP if they show broadside.

[KRAK]
Members
3,715 posts
21,733 battles
39 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I do really like this Diet Coke light cruiser, it has a lot of good points but I just seem to be messed up in the luck dept. I can play it stealthily and avoid conflict while spotting for the team (yawn) and getting the odd torp hit but every time I run into a Gearing, Fetcher, or pretty much any other tier 8+ DD I get torn to shreds in seconds (cruisers even faster), yet my cannons only hit for 200-300 (AP and HE) with a very high zero pen or bounce factor. My last game I was 199 hits for 17k damage (with the better HE shell). While I get hit for heavy blows and engine/module crippling hits every second. I'm not playing aggressive either but on smaller maps you are always going to run into trouble especially if the enemy team is pushing. 

I hear people say this boat is OP and should be nerfed but I'm not sure why? It has OK stealth, good AA and fast firing, albeit, weak guns. It also has the turning circle of a Battleship and its torps take forever to load (yeah I know its a gunboat but everyone knows torps are the key weapon). The only time it excels is when its hidden and can engage enemy ships that are distracted. Even then it only has a 10-20% pen rate. I've had a few games where I've sunk 5+ ships and scored over 100++k damage but all to often I don't have much luck. Lately I'll just sit out the first 5-10m and just play a AA support ship with some scouting. Once the radar cruisers and enemy DD's are thinned out a bit I can go a bit more offensive but even then it so fragile that even salvo it receives wipes massive amounts of health off... 

You need to have IFHE  and always fire from smoke or island cover.  You cannot gun out in the open in these IJN ships they maneuver like a lead brick.   In a 1v1 against another DD you should not ever be losing as there is nothing short of a Harugumo that can out DPS you. 

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,715 posts
21,733 battles
27 minutes ago, DracoTB said:

Sounds like all of the IJN 'gunboat' DDs - weak in both guns and torps and thus useless except as a spotter.

You must be confused.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles

ahh the Way of the IJN 10cm gun.

Yes..

Have all 4 of the 10mm gun boats.  HSF HArekaze, Akizuki, Kitakaze, Harugumo.   I do not run IFHE on any of them.  This is a conscious choice on my part to allow me to run RPF on all of them.

There are some skills you need to develop with these wonderfully accurate guns.  

Shot placement with shell type.  AP is used on the hulls of DD's and smaller cruiser at ranged UNDER 7 to 8 Km.  beyond that most rounds will shatter and fail.  Vs large cruisers and BB's aim your AP at the superstructure.  You will pen most superstructure for max shell damage.  Always switch to AP after your fires get set as they WILL cause more damage then the HE vs large ships even with the 1/3 of the shells that shatter on impact.   HE is good as any angle but there are a tiny handful of DD's (*cough* Khab) that have sufficiently thick hull plating that your HE and AP aren't going to do a doggone thing.  Just aim high on those ships and put it into the upper works. 

(Also note that AP on the big ships.. when the heal they can only heal 10% of that AP damage at best!  Game mechanics man.. wicked strange stuff at times)

FIring from cover (terrain or smoke).. but someones gotta be spotting for you.

Aiming: if ya don't hit it you got zero chance of causing damage.  There are folks that are "naturals" at this...  I'm not one of them. Most players aren't.  It takes time to learn how to consistently hit targets at any aspect out to your maximum gun range.  It's critically important to hit opposing DD's with your opening shots.  It's all about the psychology of combat.  If you hit them first the vast majority of player will first react by violently defensive maneuvering instead of calmly training the guns on you and shooting back!  The good ones can do both at the same time.. Most can't.  It's a learned skill and it is a skill!

Hope this helps.  Always remember a ship can be by it's self strong or weak in some area's.  It's the driver that makes it OP.   A ship is just a real fancy hammer.  YOU are the hand that holds it.

Warlord sends

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,636 battles

IFHE is not nessisary on the Kitakaze. Forget what the island camping HE spammers tell you. 59% winrate and 55k average damage in mine, never ran IFHE. Do so if you want, but don't think it's nessisary.

Given your complaints about the guns, this might be a marksmanship issue. The AP absolutely wrecks DDs when applied at the right time. Know when to change and don't be afraid to do so.

We need to know what skills and mods you are running.

Some will disagree with me, but Kitakaze really benefits from RPF due to its poor manuverability. Never head straight at the indicator if you think contact us possible. Always head towards it at an angle, looping around if you need to. You're trying to do 2 things. 1. Have your guns pre-aimed in the general direction the threat will come from. If two of your turrets have to do a 270 degree turn at the start of a fight, you are at a huge disadvantage. 2. By not making contact head-on, you are able to turn around and disengage much faster. The only exception is when you know you have the advantage and want the fight.

Be careful with this though. If you are getting pinged by RPF yourself, expect the possibility of blind torps. I do that all the time in my Z-46, 52, Benham, Black, Fletcher, etc.

Hope this helps.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,715 posts
21,733 battles
11 hours ago, HazardDrake said:

IFHE is not nessisary on the Kitakaze. Forget what the island camping HE spammers tell you. 59% winrate and 55k average damage in mine, never ran IFHE. Do so if you want, but don't think it's nessisary.

Maybe if you ran IFHE you could have  74k average damage like me?

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
14 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I hear people say this boat is OP and should be nerfed but I'm not sure why? It has OK stealth, good AA and fast firing, albeit, weak guns. It also has the turning circle of a Battleship and its torps take forever to load (yeah I know its a gunboat but everyone knows torps are the key weapon). 

It's one of the strongest DDs in the entire game, period. Some would argue that it's the most broken DD we currently have.

Guns are uber strong, calling then weak is mind-boggling. Do you have IFHE on your captain?

You can always spec for torps with reload skill and module. It can be a viable build, IMO. And you also get a spread of 12 torps every time your TRB is up, that's only 3 less than Shima.

Turning radius is the only thing holding Kitakaze back, but honestly not by much.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,277 battles
13 hours ago, DracoTB said:

Hey DracoTB,

You are a little off the mark with this IMO. The Kitakaze is a great ship with very few weaknesses. 

Can you explain what you think are weak about the guns and torps? Yes, you are limited to one rack of torps but you get the reload booster.

The guns are great and you can rack up damage quite fast. 

The only weakness that I can remember off the top of my head is the turning radius. 

Feel free to check out Dolphin's guide!

3 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I am the #1 Kitakaze on NA, I wrote a guide on it that you can find here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9arlmp/uniscum_kitakaze_full_dakka_build/

Members
837 posts
5,808 battles

Got to target the super structure of large ships to get any pens. Stacking fires with your high rate of fire adds to it. The gun boat line is one of my favorite lines. Against BBs I don’t even bother with smoke or cover because I’ll be engaging past 10km which gives time to dodge even with poor maneuverability. Under 10km I’ll drop torps and then extend to 10km. Against cruisers is when I use smoke or cover. Their rate of fire allows them to dial you in. DDs? You should be pooping on anything not called Mogador. Even then you can hurt. The aiming is key with these ships otherwise your shells break. The torps are weapons of opportunity. There’s enough where you can sneak attack a camping BB. Good luck!

Edited by KnifeInUrNeck

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
10 minutes ago, Kami said:

You are a little off the mark with this IMO. The Kitakaze is a great ship with very few weaknesses.

I wasn't referring to the Kitakaze.

Members
6,860 posts
15,357 battles
4 minutes ago, DracoTB said:

I wasn't referring to the Kitakaze.

Considering all but the shiratsuyu use the same gun and play very similar, what in the world were you talking about? 

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Considering all but the shiratsuyu use the same gun and play very similar, what in the world were you talking about? 

I was responding to what the OP said about the Kitekaze and referring it back to my own experience in IJN DDs. I'm still thinking that trading up from the Minekaze was a bad idea - and it took me two goes to like the Minekaze.

Members
6,860 posts
15,357 battles
1 minute ago, DracoTB said:

I was responding to what the OP said about the Kitekaze and referring it back to my own experience in IJN DDs. I'm still thinking that trading up from the Minekaze was a bad idea - and it took me two goes to like the Minekaze.

So you've never played the akizukis, Kitakaze or harugumo or harekaze with the 100mm guns? 

They cannot be compared to any other of the Japanese dds. They are a gunboat unlike any other. 

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
3 minutes ago, DracoTB said:

The playstyle dramatically changes when you hit the alternative line and go with Akizuki.

Members
1,724 posts
11,215 battles

As said above, the kit is one of the strongest DDs in the entire game.   one of if not the easiest grinds i ever had.  It only has one major weakness and that is it's handling.

If you are being out DPM by other DDs, then you need to look at your aim, your positioning, and your general map awareness. 

14 hours ago, DracoTB said:

no.  Just no.  Aki and up play differently than the other IJN DDs. 

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
Just now, enderland07 said:

The playstyle dramatically changes when you hit the alternative line and go with Akizuki.

I've got both lines up to T7. Compared to my other gunboat DDs they're weak but with better stealth.

Perhaps I just haven't found my groove with them yet.

• Confused 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, DracoTB said:

I've got both lines up to T7. Compared to my other gunboat DDs they're weak but with better stealth.

The Akizuki is a T8, so you haven't found your groove with this part of the line because you haven't actually hit that part of the line yet....

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
536 posts
8,906 battles
Just now, DracoTB said:

i suggest you go to tier 8 thats where akizuki is at. Akizuki and her cousin play diffrent from the rest of the ijn dd line. the shiratsuyu is still plays like the rest of the ijn dds with slow firing moving guns.

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,257 battles
3 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I am the #1 Kitakaze on NA, I wrote a guide on it that you can find here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9arlmp/uniscum_kitakaze_full_dakka_build/

Sigh...

So many ships others find so easy to use...

To me Kitakaze is an unmanuverable pig with a rage inducingly long torpedo load exceeded only by Harugumo’s.

I’d rather play my Akizuki.

• Confused 1

[--K--]
Members
1,344 posts
10,219 battles
11 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Sigh...

So many ships others find so easy to use...

To me Kitakaze is an unmanuverable pig with a rage inducingly long torpedo load exceeded only by Harugumo’s.

I’d rather play my Akizuki.

That’s your problem, it’s not really a DD.  It’s rudder shift and turning circle make it better suited to cruiser work... meaning it’s a gun boat and should be treated as such.  The benefit would be low detection and smoke.  You can ambush DD’s, Cruisers and melt BB’s.  Pushing into a cap without support will get you focused and killed quick.  I learned this the hard way.  IFHE helps greatly in the pen department.

I play most of these ships similarly, Kit, Hargu, Mino... torps are a bonus, but not the main armament.

Edited by BarneyStyle

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,257 battles
27 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

That’s your problem, it’s not really a DD.  It’s rudder shift and turning circle make it better suited to cruiser work... meaning it’s a gun boat and should be treated as such.  The benefit would be low detection and smoke.  You can ambush DD’s, Cruisers and melt BB’s.  Pushing into a cap without support will get you focused and killed quick.  I learned this the hard way.  IFHE helps greatly in the pen department.

I play most of these ships similarly, Kit, Hargu, Mino... torps are a bonus, but not the main armament.

The thing is, I get more kills with the torpedos than the guns. (In all four of the 100mm destroyers.) I trust what my concealment and torpedoes can do; I don’t trust the guns.

Sign in to follow this