You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
therealcomm

event No 3

76 comments in this topic

[-BMV-]
Members
515 posts
18,784 battles

You talking about directive n°3? the earn 3 million with every nation?. It's a pain but doable. Still better than Prinz Eitel Friederich and its 4 million requirements, even though its only 1 millions less. Remember you only need to do 6 of them not all.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,630 posts
29 minutes ago, therealcomm said:

Bro's - Isn't this a little much?

It's happened before, it will surely happen again...

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Funny 1

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles

IIRC they did this in one of the PEF mission directives.  It's doable if you have all of the lines, but yet another grind-fest.  I'm not even bothering with this one.  A mediocre T5 DD?  No thanks. 

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
804 posts
13,523 battles

Most boring and unimaginative Drective they could come up with, tedious to the extreme.

• Cool 1

Members
126 posts
10,138 battles

Directive 3 is grinding bore; I will grant the OP that, but it's certainly doable.  

What I find annoying is there is just a tier 5 destroyer as a reward after completing all four directives, but that's another discussion.   

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,917 posts
26,905 battles

I clearly gives a bonus for players that

a) have premiums from the exotic techtrees

b) have stacks of camos and dragon flags

c) have a premium account

d) buy one of the new French premiums

Adding container as a reward for the exotics and French ships only makes it a terrible idea in my opinion.

And that comes from a player that had the a), b) and c) option.

For many new players or people that can only play F2P this hit the point where they may give up about completing the directives

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,082 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, Erebthoron said:

For many new players or people that can only play F2P this hit the point where they may give up about completing the directives

If I were a newbie, I would rather do the 2017 North Cape campaign again than attempt this. On the other hand, North Cape was the campaign which taught me that I needed more in my port than just British cruisers. 

Unless they've back-loaded the dice so we get an unusual splurge of early unlocks in Directive 4, I can't understand why they're protecting a T5 destroyer behind this sort of grind-wall. It's not like Rogue Wave, where they were trying to gate a T5 and a T9 DD behind the same campaign missions. Then again, having a couple of early unlocks plus the tokens from Siroco's 15K XP mission will enable me to grab a nice little swag of permacamo. I've calculated that if I win all the early unlocks I'll have just enough tokens to get all the camos for them. Otherwise I have to stop at T7.

[PVE]
Members
4,258 posts
18,597 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If I were a newbie, I would rather do the 2017 North Cape campaign again than attempt this. On the other hand, North Cape was the campaign which taught me that I needed more in my port than just British cruisers. 

Unless they've back-loaded the dice so we get an unusual splurge of early unlocks in Directive 4, I can't understand why they're protecting a T5 destroyer behind this sort of grind-wall. It's not like Rogue Wave, where they were trying to gate a T5 and a T9 DD behind the same campaign missions. Then again, having a couple of early unlocks plus the tokens from Siroco's 15K XP mission will enable me to grab a nice little swag of permacamo. I've calculated that if I win all the early unlocks I'll have just enough tokens to get all the camos for them. Otherwise I have to stop at T7.

A Buy wall not a Grind wall....   They whole idea is to frustrate you enough to spend to obtain "any free prize..."  People respond to this all of the time.  There are three phases in game that use buy walls: 

1) the Whales buy early, day or week one.   They buy "everything" all of the time.  There are some that buy 2 or 3 accounts of "stuff" every sale there is.  I know several that do this in three separate games, each with multiple accounts !

2) the Veterans wait a week and then realize they "want that carrot" and start to seriously work on the event........only to realize, that it is taking too much time and then they have a decision to make: grind or buy in.  Some do both; and, a great many of them buy their way out of the event.  The rest, grind it out only to frustrated doing so.  A few walk away because they realize the "carrot" was a prop they really don't need.

3) the New Players.  They have a choice: buy-in or try the grind.  Most attempt the grind only to find out they really lack the ships to accomplish the event.  Which is suppose to drive them to buy premium ships to play the event....  I remember being in that situation once a while back and only my clan kept me in the game.  Many just leave the game.  Some buy premium ships.  If you don't "spend" in a F2P, you really aren't what we are looking for.......is what "seems to be" the sales mantra.  If it isn't, why make it just about unobtainable for average part-time players?

The odds of winning are set so low that everyone is "forced" to make a decision.....  Buy loot boxes to speed the horrendous grind up......sort of.  3 million credits in a tier 7 DD without smoke where everyone is playing the same ships?   That comes close to 80 matches with average winnings in COOP.   80+ matches.  Why?  I just can't see the logic of a punishing sales directive?  This only makes me not want to grind......let alone spend.....or recruit........or recommend........or, a whole host of other activities many of us are involved in within the gaming community (e-Sports clubs, etc...)  I just don't see why ?

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Members
20,082 posts
14,317 battles
12 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Which is suppose to drive them to buy premium ships to play the event...

Your logic falls down here.

I failed North Cape because I didn't have enough ships. I realised through looking at the missions carefully and critically that all I needed was one tech-tree battleship of T5 or better and it would have been possible for me. I didn't buy premiums; I expanded my tech-tree fleet.*

3 million credits in a tier 7 DD without smoke where everyone is playing the same ships?   That comes close to 80 matches with average winnings in COOP.  

So go to Randoms. I realise some people don't or won't, but the most prominent "I will never, ever play randoms again" player I know of is also a Whale.

I just can't see the logic of a punishing sales directive?

I'll be having my fair share to say about that in a week or so, but first I want the Siroco in hand with no money down on the table. For now, with two thirds of Directive 3 done and full accomplishment near-guaranteed before D4 even goes live, I will say this much:

1) Was it right or fair to put a cash-grind directive in? In my opinion, yes.

2) Was it structured appropriately and put in the right place in the directive sequence? In my opinion, no to both.

* = I did eventually buy premium ships, yes. But it wasn't with the aim of completing a particular event that I was already engaged in. The only time I bought a specific ship for a specific event was the Texas, some months after the Aigle Marathon, because she was on sale and because I deduced that the next event like it would also have an airplane-kills mission. I was right, but the Indianapolis Marathon that followed was locked to T6 ships and higher, and she never got used for her specific intended purpose. I was gifted an Atlanta out of the blue during the Indy Marathon and that helped enormously, but it wasn't a purchase I would myself have made during the event.

At the end of the day, most of the Premium ships that have been extremely useful for a specific event were not actually bought with such an event in mind; they just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLFC]
Members
1,655 posts
9,465 battles
6 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

IIRC they did this in one of the PEF mission directives.  It's doable if you have all of the lines, but yet another grind-fest.  I'm not even bothering with this one.  A mediocre T5 DD?  No thanks. 

IIRC, the directive you’re describing was the final step of the PEF grind. At least this time, being the pentultimate directive, you have some additional time to slog through it.

The 10,000 base XP grinds of the fourth directive should be a cakewalk in comparison.

[AAYC]
Beta Testers
788 posts
11,943 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

It's happened before, it will surely happen again...

This is how I feel doing the directives in a French DD (Since you brought up LEXX ) ;)  .  Its the easiest way to do it if you have any of the free French DDs, knock out 5 at one time

[ARGSY]
Members
20,082 posts
14,317 battles
1 minute ago, Nevermore135 said:

The 10,000 base XP grinds of the fourth directive should be a cakewalk in comparison.

It also pays to go into co-op and knock over as many of the combat related tasks as you possibly can (spot torps, get citadels, etc.) and reduce the number of those grinds you have to do, preferring the types in which you are strongest and most motivated. I have carriers and I like them, but I am only a mediocre CV player at best and I can tell you RIGHT NOW that a 10K base XP grind under any sort of time pressure will be something in which I reach for EVERY OTHER class of ship first.

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

I remember I couldn't realistically do the PEF grind because you really need higher tiet ships or a massive amount of time. Now that I have many t8s and about a half dozen t9s and the Montana, I'm finding it easier. US and Japan were my first lines I focused on, and were easy enough with focus on Montana and Kagero with an event permcamo. Germany will be quite quick too. After that it gets a bit grindier - Kronstadt and Gnevny will be my choices for Russia which will be a but grindy, Jean Bart and Algeria for France but I couls play JB all day anyway. The slowest will probably be my Brit line. I only have the Iron Duke because I always play the Warspite and Nelson almost always draw my attention over it. I should quickly earn my Jervis and use that though - I likely won't do more than one or two per day for the Emerald.

[PVE]
Members
4,258 posts
18,597 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Your logic falls down here.

I failed North Cape because I didn't have enough ships. I realised through looking at the missions carefully and critically that all I needed was one tech-tree battleship of T5 or better and it would have been possible for me. I didn't buy premiums; I expanded my tech-tree fleet.*

So go to Randoms. I realise some people don't or won't, but the most prominent "I will never, ever play randoms again" player I know of is also a Whale.

I'll be having my fair share to say about that in a week or so, but first I want the Siroco in hand with no money down on the table. For now, with two thirds of Directive 3 done and full accomplishment near-guaranteed before D4 even goes live, I will say this much:

1) Was it right or fair to put a cash-grind directive in? In my opinion, yes.

2) Was it structured appropriately and put in the right place in the directive sequence? In my opinion, no to both.

* = I did eventually buy premium ships, yes. But it wasn't with the aim of completing a particular event that I was already engaged in. The only time I bought a specific ship for a specific event was the Texas, some months after the Aigle Marathon, because she was on sale and because I deduced that the next event like it would also have an airplane-kills mission. I was right, but the Indianapolis Marathon that followed was locked to T6 ships and higher, and she never got used for her specific intended purpose. I was gifted an Atlanta out of the blue during the Indy Marathon and that helped enormously, but it wasn't a purchase I would myself have made during the event.

At the end of the day, most of the Premium ships that have been extremely useful for a specific event were not actually bought with such an event in mind; they just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Actually, it doesn't....  Please, this isn't as Graduate theory discussion.......just a disucssion with someone I like to have discussions with.... 

I'm not talking about North cape (wherever that one was???  Before me: Jan 2018?)  Buying high level premium ships makes the cash grind so much faster..... 

Many of us don't play randoms because, at our skill level, the rewards of 18 minutes of random play isn't as effective as 8 minutes of COOP play.  I can win in COOP and Randoms are just that: random players with more losing than winning....   The math supports what I have said.....  I can make a lot more "value" with more, easier matches.....

Grinding cash is like grinding anything else:  except if you don't have the French DD's or the other nations ships.....  That's 5 segments of phase three where you must own a Event French DD or ships of those nations.....  I have five nations worth of ships and two French Event DD's (T5 and 7).  The IJN and German are done.  The France National is half way.   I have all sorts of Premium Russian ships from crates or events....  I have three American ships: the Kidd (xmas crate), the Atlanta I acquired with Doubloons and the Flint I bought with steel.....  The only British ships I have are two from the British DD event a little while ago.  So, I'm faced with several million credits to grind with mostly DD's.....  OK, it can be done......but, is it value added???? 

I am assuming our host has the population ship ownership data mapped out and they know exactly what they can or can not make us do;.......and, make a lot of money for now.....  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
47 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Actually, it doesn't....  Please, this isn't as Graduate theory discussion.......just a disucssion with someone I like to have discussions with.... 

I'm not talking about North cape (wherever that one was???  Before me: Jan 2018?)  Buying high level premium ships makes the cash grind so much faster..... 

Many of us don't play randoms because, at our skill level, the rewards of 18 minutes of random play isn't as effective as 8 minutes of COOP play.  I can win in COOP and Randoms are just that: random players with more losing than winning....   The math supports what I have said.....  I can make a lot more "value" with more, easier matches.....

Grinding cash is like grinding anything else:  except if you don't have the French DD's or the other nations ships.....  That's 5 segments of phase three where you must own a Event French DD or ships of those nations.....  I have five nations worth of ships and two French Event DD's (T5 and 7).  The IJN and German are done.  The France National is half way.   I have all sorts of Premium Russian ships from crates or events....  I have three American ships: the Kidd (xmas crate), the Atlanta I acquired with Doubloons and the Flint I bought with steel.....  The only British ships I have are two from the British DD event a little while ago.  So, I'm faced with several million credits to grind with mostly DD's.....  OK, it can be done......but, is it value added???? 

I am assuming our host has the population ship ownership data mapped out and they know exactly what they can or can not make us do;.......and, make a lot of money for now.....  

Coop is nice for getting some missions done or just playing relaxed.  I do it often.

Random is equally nice for grinding some missions fast.  You can't get decent at it ( you don't have to be great ) if you never practice.

These missions are done the fastest in randoms.  I don't have any of the "special" ships other than the Perth.  The rest I just get the credits for. I have 4/6 done and am about to have 5/6.  That will leave me with 4 days left to get 3M credits.  I will likely finish tonight or tomorrow. 

It isn't that bad and the only way that these events will ever get easier, is if you grind out more ships.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,444 posts
6,499 battles

Biggest problem here is lack of premium ships in some of the more exotic tiers IMO.    3 million with premium ships w/  flags & camo's isn't that hard to earn in randoms or OPs. God help the Co-op players however.    I just don't have that much inventory in a couple of those trees.  Really with another worse directive coming is a T5 premium really worth it?  I farmed the crates through 2 because it was easy and fun.... Directive 3?  That looks like me playing some ships I really don't care to,  a whole bunch of games...    I'll pass.   

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
15 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Biggest problem here is lack of premium ships in some of the more exotic tiers IMO.    3 million with premium ships w/  flags & camo's isn't that hard to earn in randoms or OPs. God help the Co-op players however.    I just don't have that much inventory in a couple of those trees.  Really with another worse directive coming is a T5 premium really worth it?  I farmed the crates through 2 because it was easy and fun.... Directive 3?  That looks like me playing some ships I really don't care to,  a whole bunch of games...    I'll pass.   

Every ship you get is coal, steel, or tokens in the "snowflake" events, just like this one.

There were lots of threads complaining about that and how people were not able to get all the rewards they wanted.  I got got a whole bunch of them by obtaining every free ship that I can.

It also stops them from popping out of containers. Every tool you add to your toolbox in this game, makes it eaiser to get more.  It's a snowball effect. 

Do I really want the T5?  Not really, I will likely never play it.  Am I going to get it?  Absolutely.

If you just go after the things you really really want, that sometimes makes getting those things much more difficult.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,596 posts
11 hours ago, Sidelock said:

You talking about directive n°3? the earn 3 million with every nation?. It's a pain but doable. Still better than Prinz Eitel Friederich and its 4 million requirements, even though its only 1 millions less. Remember you only need to do 6 of them not all.

For players with 1600 battles, it's almost impossible....:Smile_sceptic:

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
5 minutes ago, awiggin said:

For players with 1600 battles, it's almost impossible....:Smile_sceptic:

It will always be that way if they don't progress.  This is a grinding event, which is great to get double reward.  Get the rewards and grind some ships along the way, so the future events are easier.

I am working on the German directive right now.  I have several German premiums I could use to make the credit grind faster but I am doing it in my T9 BB line ship.  I have to grind it anyway to get another T10, so I might as well do both at once.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,082 posts
14,317 battles
4 hours ago, Tanuvein said:

I only have the Iron Duke because I always play the Warspite and Nelson

Who cares about the tech tree? If you have Warspite and Nelson, flog the hell out of them. It's what I did, with a side order of Fiji in Narai (Hoperations group for divving).

[ARGSY]
Members
20,082 posts
14,317 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It will always be that way if they don't progress.  This is a grinding event, which is great to get double reward.  Get the rewards and grind some ships along the way, so the future events are easier.

Yes. This. Don't complain; adapt and grow.

(Oh, by all means complain; but don't ONLY complain.)

[WOLF7]
Members
12,596 posts
Just now, Burnsy said:

You really need to take off those rose colored glasses, and understand who the player base is.

78% of the player base plays less than 1 game per day.

92% of the player base averages less than 3.3 games per day.

H75kkN0.png

Having events that target a tiny percentage of the player population seems counter productive. It's like they've decided that they can't bother to try and engage the vast majority of players.

[A-D-F]
7,520 posts
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

You really need to take off those rose colored glasses, and understand who the player base is.

78% of the player base plays less than 1 game per day.

92% of the player base averages less than 3.3 games per day.

This game isn't designed around people who only play 5-10 minutes a day.  That's basically the mobile game market crowd, this isn't one of those games.

Can they play this game?  Sure.  The progress isn't designed around that little game play though.  It never has been.