Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NippleSnipplez

I don't get this game

78 comments in this topic

Members
152 posts
720 battles

No matter what I do I die quickly by getting shot at by multiple ships, all I feel like I can do is hide behind an island and when I come out that exact thing happens. I'm stuck playing destroyers until I can get aircraft and because they have abso[edited]lutely zero health I die in one volley from any ship I get shot at by. I don't shoot unecessarily, I play around islands, I use smoke when I'm under pressure, but I feel [edited]useless and it's the same stuff every single game . I can't get more than 1000 damage before I die and then that is when I go to play either cruiser or battleship. I have a IV Clemson V Emerald and V New York . It's the same story on all of them, and I don't understand how I consistently land my shots with almost all of them being overpen or non-pen or ricochet or whatever, but when I get hit it's multiple thousand damage off of me and I'm quickly dead. There is almost no information online about proper positioning as well and I am almost always being shot at by multiple ships with no way to not die. I don't usually die 1v1. Someone help me because this game just isn't fun at this point and I do not want to play when there is nothing I feel I can do.

[WORX]
Members
10,629 posts
18,519 battles

I recommend

play the clubson, make sure you have the right cpt skills, and pray  you dont get sky cancer game often (I get them about 1/3 of the time).

Tier 4 is the "kindergarten" portion of WOWS (Devs stated it so, I disagree... its primary school). Keep in mind you are a gun DD. Your guns melt through DDs

Your AP (if you aim correctly) do hit cruisers hard.

If gun DDs are hard for you, torp DDs are higher in the difficulty scale. 

practice it takes a lot of games (about 1k) to get use to the lower tier mechanics... Higher tier its like Dutch language its cancer...

Any questions let me know.

Members
156 posts
3,293 battles

Watch some youtube videos to help you. Flambass, Notser, and some others on youtube have good general guides on the basics of this game. Most of it you will have to learn yourself though, as that is part of the fun. I have not played the British cruiser line, so I can't give you tips on them, but I can tell you about the US ships. USN Destroyers like the Clemson and up have very good guns. High rate of fire and damage potential - USE THEM. Contest caps, dodge incoming shells (WASD hax), and use your short range torpedoes to be aggressive and show the enemy you won't go down without a fight. If things get sketchy, use islands for cover. For the USN battleships, the guns are the pride and joy. They hit hard, and are relatively accurate at range. Armor is decent, it doesn't get good until the higher tiers. Speed is the main downside, 21 knots is the maximum until tier 8. As such, positioning is extremely important. Put yourself on a flank where you can dish out damage to the enemy and be a great support to your other ships. Use your tight turning circle to throw off the aim of enemy's. That's about all the tips I can give you. Good luck!

• Cool 1

[ARA-I]
Members
134 posts
2,434 battles

Try playing a CA/CL, short reload means more shoots and you will learn more about how to aim, also faster than BBs so you will learn where and where not to be, all of this with the correct ammount of HP. :P

You will not master this game until you hit like 3000 battles.

[KERMT]
Members
1,007 posts
6 hours ago, NippleSnipplez said:

No matter what I do I die quickly by getting shot at by multiple ships, all I feel like I can do is hide behind an island and when I come out that exact thing happens. I'm stuck playing destroyers until I can get aircraft and because they have abso[edited]lutely zero health I die in one volley from any ship I get shot at by. I don't shoot unecessarily, I play around islands, I use smoke when I'm under pressure, but I feel [edited]useless and it's the same stuff every single game . I can't get more than 1000 damage before I die and then that is when I go to play either cruiser or battleship. I have a IV Clemson V Emerald and V New York . It's the same story on all of them, and I don't understand how I consistently land my shots with almost all of them being overpen or non-pen or ricochet or whatever, but when I get hit it's multiple thousand damage off of me and I'm quickly dead. There is almost no information online about proper positioning as well and I am almost always being shot at by multiple ships with no way to not die. I don't usually die 1v1. Someone help me because this game just isn't fun at this point and I do not want to play when there is nothing I feel I can do.

Check this and see how im maneuvering, just get into the habit of maneuver maneuver maneuver

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,625 posts
33 minutes ago, NippleSnipplez said:

No matter what I do I die quickly by getting shot at by multiple ships

Keep track of where the enemy ships are and try to put islands between yourself and all but the one you are shooting at. Angle yourself to the ship that is firing at you. You may not be able to use your rear turrets but his AP rounds oftentimes will just bounce off. Of course, if he is using HE then he can do as much damage to you angled.

Pick your targets. If you see an angled ship then try to figure out if he is turning. If it looks like he will go broadside then wait until you have an optimal AP shot. If he doesn't look like he is turning then try to take out a gun mount by firing directly at it, or fire at the superstructure.

Don't be afraid to disengage but don't do it by turning broadside to a ship that can punish you with AP. Also, hold back and let more experienced players take the front. The front ship is usually the one everyone targets. The more allies you have around you the less the chance that everyone on the enemy team sees you and is targeting you.

While experienced players oftentimes don't use it, beginning players should probably take Priority Target, which tells you how many of the enemy are targeting you. If you see numbers over three then go silent and get out of there or put an island between you and them.

Edited by Snargfargle

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,761 battles

10 things

1: don't be so aggressive, being passive has its benifits

2: stick with other ships for protection

3: check your mini map often 

4: look at your ships stats and find their strength and then use them 

5: use Youtube/twich/ forum for visual learning aids and asking questions

6: don't be afraid to ask questions and ask as many as you can

7: use wiki for additional information about the ship's strengths and what equipment is best to mount

Wiki Link -> https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

8: make sure your in game hub circles are all on!(ctrl and the gear above the minimap to activate them) these ciricles save lives! 

9: if your'e having a bad streak take a break, game isn't going anywhere

10: Have fun! its a game remember!

I had the same issues when starting out. you can't go Rambo in this game, you'll get squished every-time!:fish_boom: you'll get better over time, just be patient and have fun!:fish_aqua:

• Cool 2

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,431 battles

@NippleSnipplez Regardless of battle mode what you describe is due to advancing toward the enemy to fast and to far. Because of this you are exposing yourself enemy fire from several ships and from several directions. This is always a losing move.

The remedy is to be patient, advance slowly with at least one team mate but preferably with a group of team mates. Staying within the range circle of BBs an CL/CAs as you advance since this allows them to fire on targets you have spotted. 

Should you see that you are moving into an untenable situation turn and run immediately.

Members
152 posts
720 battles
41 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I recommend

play the clubson, make sure you have the right cpt skills, and pray  you dont get sky cancer game often (I get them about 1/3 of the time).

Tier 4 is the "kindergarten" portion of WOWS (Devs stated it so, I disagree... its primary school). Keep in mind you are a gun DD. Your guns melt through DDs

Your AP (if you aim correctly) do hit cruisers hard.

If gun DDs are hard for you, torp DDs are higher in the difficulty scale. 

practice it takes a lot of games (about 1k) to get use to the lower tier mechanics... Higher tier its like Dutch language its cancer...

Any questions let me know.

This really is just the same stuff I keep hearing but no questions get answered, I don't know how not to get shot by so many people and lose every fight. I play around islands and am not overly aggressive I do not shoot unless it is absolutely necessary that way I mostly remain undetected I utilize my smoke and speed boost when I am in a pinch. I feel like if I don't sit behind an island the entire game I die. It doesn't help that when my 8k health gets destroyed in half a salvo I get to wait 20 minutes or play another ship until I am able to work towards aircraft carriers again.

• Confused 2

Members
152 posts
720 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@NippleSnipplez Regardless of battle mode what you describe is due to advancing toward the enemy to fast and to far. Because of this you are exposing yourself enemy fire from several ships and from several directions. This is always a losing move.

The remedy is to be patient, advance slowly with at least one team mate but preferably with a group of team mates. Staying within the range circle of BBs an CL/CAs as you advance since this allows them to fire on targets you have spotted. 

Should you see that you are moving into an untenable situation turn and run immediately.

So I should I not go to the point at maximum speed and wait around islands for an opportunity to attack? I do try and play slowly, I do not advance right out into the open. I feel like if I do not sit behind an island I WILL die, just peeking out from the island to get some shots off causes me usually to tank an entire salvo and die. Meanwhile my shots do considerably less (ricochet, non-pen, overpen) and I get hit by a lot more damage. Also my AP on all 3 of the ships I mentioned tend to overpen battleships which I do not understand at all, especially since they are supposed to have the best armor in the game.

• Cool 1

Members
152 posts
720 battles
45 minutes ago, Ghostar_1 said:

Try playing a CA/CL, short reload means more shoots and you will learn more about how to aim, also faster than BBs so you will learn where and where not to be, all of this with the correct ammount of HP. :P

You will not master this game until you hit like 3000 battles.

Don't know what either of those are.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,761 battles
3 minutes ago, NippleSnipplez said:

This really is just the same stuff I keep hearing but no questions get answered, I don't know how not to get shot by so many people and lose every fight. I play around islands and am not overly aggressive I do not shoot unless it is absolutely necessary that way I mostly remain undetected I utilize my smoke and speed boost when I am in a pinch. I feel like if I don't sit behind an island the entire game I die. It doesn't help that when my 8k health gets destroyed in half a salvo I get to wait 20 minutes or play another ship until I am able to work towards aircraft carriers again.

trust me stay away from carriers. they're not worth it at the moment.:Smile_hiding: you also will get yelled at/bullied by tons of angry people after matches reguardless of how you perform. 

[ARA-I]
Members
134 posts
2,434 battles
1 minute ago, NippleSnipplez said:

CA Cruiser

CL Light Cruiser

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,761 battles
Just now, NippleSnipplez said:

DD= destroyer

CL= light cruiser

CA=heavy cruiser

BC/CB= battle cruiser

BB=battleship

Cv= Carrier

SS=submarine

AK=transport

PT=patrol boat

Members
152 posts
720 battles
34 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Keep track of where the enemy ships are and try to put islands between yourself and all but the one you are shooting at. Angle yourself to the ship that is firing at you. You may not be able to use your rear turrets but his AP rounds oftentimes will just bounce off. Of course, if he is using HE then he can do as much damage to you angled.

Pick your targets. If you see an angled ship then try to figure out if he is turning. If it looks like he will go broadside then wait until you have an optimal AP shot. If he doesn't look like he is turning then try to take out a gun mount by firing directly at it, or fire at the superstructure.

Don't be afraid to disengage but don't do it by turning broadside to a ship that can punish you with AP. Also, hold back and let more experienced players take the front. The front ship is usually the one everyone targets. The more allies you have around you the less the chance that everyone on the enemy team sees you and is targeting you.

While experienced players oftentimes don't use it, beginning players should probably take Priority Target, which tells you how many of the enemy are targeting you. If you see numbers over three then go silent and get out of there or put an island between you and them.

I do use priority target, I do play around islands, my issue really is that my shots primarily bounce off and if I go out farther than an island I end up tanking a lot of shots.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,761 battles

I do use priority target, I do play around islands, my issue really is that my shots primarily bounce off and if I go out farther than an island I end up tanking a lot of shots.

Members
152 posts
720 battles
40 minutes ago, Salvo_Creative said:

Check this and see how im maneuvering, just get into the habit of maneuver maneuver maneuver

So just constant turns, also whats up with ur guns constantly firing at that guy when you actually arent clicking?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

team up someone experienced with voice for a awhile and play some games. probably easiest way for pointers

Members
152 posts
720 battles
21 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

10 things

1: don't be so aggressive, being passive has its benifits

2: stick with other ships for protection

3: check your mini map often 

4: look at your ships stats and find their strength and then use them 

5: use Youtube/twich/ forum for visual learning aids and asking questions

6: don't be afraid to ask questions and ask as many as you can

7: use wiki for additional information about the ship's strengths and what equipment is best to mount

Wiki Link -> https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

8: make sure your in game hub circles are all on!(ctrl and the gear above the minimap to activate them) these ciricles save lives! 

9: if your'e having a bad streak take a break, game isn't going anywhere

10: Have fun! its a game remember!

I had the same issues when starting out. you can't go Rambo in this game, you'll get squished every-time!:fish_boom: you'll get batter over time, just be patient and have fun!:fish_aqua:

I don't go rambo every game, actually at the beginning I analyze the map and see how I can play around the islands slowly, I try and stick with my team but if I peek out from an island at all I die.

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,859 posts
15,761 battles

The Emerald is a cruiser.

cruisers are divided into 2 classes light "CL" and heavy "CA"

Light cruisers usually have a maximum gun caliber of 6 inches where as heavy cruisers have 8-9 inch guns.

Also emerald isn't a freindly ship for new players, UK cruisers all have the worst armor values in the game might I suggest the american, IJN or Russians instead?:fish_book:

Members
152 posts
720 battles
11 minutes ago, BladedPheonix said:

trust me stay away from carriers. they're not worth it at the moment.:Smile_hiding: you also will get yelled at/bullied by tons of angry people after matches reguardless of how you perform. 

I want to try them out they look fun.

[KERMT]
Members
1,007 posts
2 minutes ago, NippleSnipplez said:

So just constant turns, also whats up with ur guns constantly firing at that guy when you actually arent clicking?

Oh those are my secondary batteries, I have 10 little guns that will fire at a target within 11.3km 

But yes, turn left, turn right turn left turn right. 

Saves me all the time 

Members
152 posts
720 battles
1 minute ago, BladedPheonix said:

cruisers are divided into 2 classes light "CL" and heavy "CA"

Light cruisers usually have a maximum gun caliber of 6 inches where as heavy cruisers have 8-9 inch guns.

Also emerald isn't a freindly ship for new players, UK cruisers all have the worst armor values in the game might I suggest the american, IJN or Russians instead?:fish_book:

Tis a bit too late for that I'm already 5 tiers deep.

Members
152 posts
720 battles
Just now, Salvo_Creative said:

Oh those are my secondary batteries, I have 10 little guns that will fire at a target within 11.3km 

But yes, turn left, turn right turn left turn right. 

Saves me all the time 

Any tips on not having my shots do something other than penetrating? My AP rounds on all the ships I play tend to overpen battleships which I don't really understand.

Sign in to follow this