Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ghostar_1

Monaghan: teach me, oh masters!

10 comments in this topic

[ARA-I]
Members
134 posts
2,434 battles

Yes, i received this in a santa container.

The only thing i know is:

Hull A: Kinda gunboat mostly or hybrid.

Hull B Torpedoboat.

Teach me everything, captain skills, etc.

Thanks!!!

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
17 minutes ago, Ghostar_1 said:

Yes, i received this in a santa container.

The only thing i know is:

Hull A: Kinda gunboat mostly or hybrid.

Hull B Torpedoboat.

Thanks!!!

Hull B is not really a torpedo boat: your torp are slower than an Arizona in reverse.

Hull B is to do division with a CV in order to troll the enemy CV with your AA of doom.

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
13 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Hull B is not really a torpedo boat: your torp are slower than an Arizona in reverse.

Hull B is to do division with a CV in order to troll the enemy CV with your AA of doom.

Incorrect, and incorrect.

Hull B is very much a torp boat, that TRB allows you to completely dictate how the red team can function. That it also has boosted AA is simply a plus.

OP, I built mine like a full on torp boat, using my Gearing captain, with last stand, PT, TAE, SE, CE, RPF, and I believe AR.

[5IN]
Members
331 posts
24,965 battles
42 minutes ago, Ghostar_1 said:

Thanks!!!

I play the B Hull version exclusively if you wanna do the gunboat thing get in a Farragut.

My captain is kinda generic not really Moe-noggin specific since I use him in Gearing and most my premium US DD's however,  Priority Target, Adrenalin Rush and Last Stand, Torpedo armament Expertise and Basic Firing training, IFHE and Concealment. that's what my 19 points is spent on.

in the B Hull configuration you only have 2 guns they are fast ish firing 127mm as all US DD's get so don't think you can't use them to finish off or annoy targets.  Take the Torpedo reload booster consumable Over defensive fire (yes I know CV's blah blah, but the AA is good enough and the reload booster is where its at.

The Reload booster is unique in its not an instant reload but gives you a 30 second reload WHY IS THAT AWESOME? well before Flooding got nerfed you could strike a target and by the time your Second sets of slow Benson torps hit they would have repaired so BAM! flooding out BB's for days.  This is still quite good though because not only do you get more often than not full permaflooding but you lull them into a false sense of security,  "Hey I just dodged 2 sets of torpedoes I don't have to worry about anymore for a couple minutes (fast forward 45 seconds) Wait what are these?!?! Crap!"  

It is no secret of my Love for the Moe-noggin I think its a fantastic boat as a torpedo spammer it can get around the map it has low tier US smoke (1:30 vs 2min) the torps do their job hitting hard and you have a ton of them.  Slowpedoes really extend the range of the torps because they aren't super fast you can pre-torp a target 2-4+ kilometers out of your range and watch as they sail into them.  9.2km range torps at tier 6 is nothing to be taken lightly.

You have ok concealment at 6.3 ok speed really only weakness of the ship is if you get caught in a bad spot or pinched by a gunboat DD you only have the 2 pew-pews to defend yourself but pew-pew like mad you will hurt them.

Edited by MoeLykit

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
10 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Incorrect, and incorrect.

Hull B is very much a torp boat, that TRB allows you to completely dictate how the red team can function. That it also has boosted AA is simply a plus.

OP, I built mine like a full on torp boat, using my Gearing captain, with last stand, PT, TAE, SE, CE, RPF, and I believe AR.

The torp of hull B goes at 55knt only. In comparison, Fubuki’s goes at 59knt, ,800 m longer range, have better guns and better concealment. Sure you can play it as torpedo boat, but it will be a poor one and will not shine.

Better to make it focus on AA with Manual control of AA, CE, AFT, BFT, Last stand...

Edited by Y_Nagato

Members
9,159 posts
11,174 battles
15 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

The torp of hull B goes at 55knt only. In comparison, Fubuki’s goes at 59knt, ,800 m longer range, have better guns and better concealment. Sure you can play it as torpedo boat, but it will be a poor one and will not shine.

Better to make it focus on AA with Manual control of AA, CE, AFT, BFT, Last stand...

Again, 100% incorrect. If one has actually learned how to torpedo bote, they can wreck face with Monnie's torps. Understanding when and where to fire torps, what to fire them at, etc, makes her an absolute beast. Remember, Sims and Black have torps under 50 knots, and yet they destroy whole teams. Slower can be better in this game.

If you aren't landing torps with Monnie, that's on you. Remember, this is a T6 ship with T8 torpedoes. I landed quite a few with Mahan and Benson, and they don't even have a TRB. Also, Fubuki's torps have a higher detection than Monnie's do. You should be landing far, far more torps with Monnie. Also, .8km extra range is really nothing, and Monnie only has, iirc, .2 detection more on her hull with CE than Fubuki. I point out that your own stats in Monnie compared to Fubuki are much, MUCH better with the former than the latter. Monnie is a better ship overall, plain and simple.

More, if you're feeling the need to use MFCAA at T6, then something has gone very wrong, especially right now. I have exactly one AA build captain for all my DD's, and it's mostly for Kidd, though I'll use it in Scenarios when a CV one is running. AA builds for PvP on DDs is simply a total waste of the points. BFT is useful for gun reload, and AFT is useful on many IJN DDs because their main gun range is shorter than the ranges everyone else has, and the higher tier RU DDs benefit from AFT for gun range, because they're more small cruisers than they are DDs. MFCAA, yeah, no.

Sure, those things boost AA, but that's not what you're taking them for, or building the ship and captain out for. Build your DDs for surviving and for damage output.

[PISD]
Members
1,280 posts
5,274 battles
26 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Also, Fubuki's torps have a higher detection than Monnie's do. You should be landing far, far more torps with Monnie. 

The difference in speeds make the difference in detection quite smaller, if thee any in the end. And at those tier BB tend to lack the capacity to dodge on reflex, and quicker torp let them less time to change course  or speed in the time before they detect the torps. And the .8 coupled with the detection do give Fubuki a km advantage in its torp range/ detection ratio. Not something to sneeze at. Just like the 5k damage difference do count for a lot.

and in overall, do not forget that a Fubuki will outgun a Monaghan B hull, even in close range. So sure you can play her like a torp boat, but she will barely outshine the IJN line only thanks to TRB, while being even more situational. 

But in a CV match, god this ship wreck planes like no tomorrow, even against tier 8 cv. That is, if build accordingly.

[ARA-I]
Members
134 posts
2,434 battles

Thanks guys!

I have a little experience with DDs, do i will play a little with the Hull A and then try B later.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
12 posts
11,785 battles

I like to play the ship both ways.  it is a great torpedo boat and a solid gun boat.  I like the reload booster even in gunboat mode.  i sink a lot of ships with it.

Sign in to follow this