Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

Premium Commonwealth Battleship

Would you like earn a Commonwealth Battleship (6-7)?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like earn a Commonwealth Battleship (6-7)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you like to purchase a Commonwealth Battleship (7-8) from the Premium Store?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. If so, which one of the below unique traits would you pick?

• Hydro
    • Smoke
    • Defensive AA
    • Radar

17 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,024 battles

Well, every Commonwealth ship that WG created has been pure enjoyment for me.  Personally, I like to see a tier 6-7 battleship reward for completing a Campaign or event.  

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,091 posts
4,071 battles

What battleship are we talking about? The Commonwealth nations didn't have a need for BBs, as they had the RN. IIRC Britain built a pair of battle cruisers that were paid for by AU and NZ, but I think they were still RN. And they were WWI era too I think. Britain may have also loaned a BB or two to someone, but nothing permanent. And none of those nations ever built or even planned a full BB on their own. I don't think they even got any old ones because as I said, they were under the protection of either the RN or the USN. So I don't think there's anything to go off of for a commonwealth BB. I may be wrong, and there is some Australian plan for a BB laying around, but think WG would have to make something completely up or just copy and paste another line's BB.

It's not a bad idea, but I don't think there's anything to use.

• Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
1,270 posts
5,258 battles

That would be quite nice to get. In those tier it would be either a King George V class or a Queen Elizabeth, which would be nice. But at tier 6-7 putting radar on a BB is over the top, and smoke barely useful since heavy caliber guns reveal the position too far. In that regard, it could use the ''Smoke shell'' consumable that some CC talked sooner this year instead: you fire a salvo of ''smoke grenade'' to hide your allies (even if it can end up quite nasty for team play).

For the ship design: it could be the discarded KGV with 3x3 15'' to give him a different game play than the other.

[HELLS]
Members
2,660 posts
27,043 battles
17 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

What battleship are we talking about? The Commonwealth nations didn't have a need for BBs, as they had the RN. IIRC Britain built a pair of battle cruisers that were paid for by AU and NZ, but I think they were still RN. And they were WWI era too I think. Britain may have also loaned a BB or two to someone, but nothing permanent. And none of those nations ever built or even planned a full BB on their own. I don't think they even got any old ones because as I said, they were under the protection of either the RN or the USN. So I don't think there's anything to go off of for a commonwealth BB. I may be wrong, and there is some Australian plan for a BB laying around, but think WG would have to make something completely up or just copy and paste another line's BB.

It's not a bad idea, but I don't think there's anything to use.

The only possibilty is HMAS Australia, an Indefatigable class battlecruiser, which might (with a couple of tweaks) fit at T IV. HMS New Zealand (same class) was paid for by the Kiwis by public prescription, but New Zealand did not yet have a navy at that point. Australia was the RAN flagship before WW I.

EDIT: Our friends from down under may wish to have the name ship as a T VI or T VII County-class CA, which for me would be a decent compromise. On top of that the RNZN operated HMNZS Leander, which is already in the game under the same name. Give her the US refit and smoke and HE and as a T VI premium with Perth characteristics with a heal, I'll bite despite the fact that she is already in the game!

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,642 posts
34,839 battles

BBs? They did not have many to speak of.

I'd rather see South American BBs, where there were plenty to choose from and fil a few tiers.

Edited by alexf24

[MUDDX]
[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,406 battles

Perhaps HMS Repulse since it and PoW operated in the SW Pacific until they were sunk by IJN planes.

[O_O]
Members
6,426 posts
15,262 battles

Smoke would be all but worthless on a BB.

[-K_P-]
Members
409 posts
3,437 battles
37 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Smoke would be all but worthless on a BB.

Not necessarily, think how big and thick the smoke cloud would have to be to give a battleship the same cover as any other smoke ship.  20 second puff, so she can cruise at 1/4 speed...

While not a Battleship or a ship with smoke, the later HMAS Austrailia could be interesting, County Kent Class Heavy Cruiser, 8 battle honors during WWII, Commissioned 1928, Decommissioned 1954.  Top Speed: 31 knots, 1 Supermarine Walrus float plane (spotter)

Probably would aim at the 1940 configuration as she still had all 4 main turrets, torpedoes, torpedo bulges and 110mm belt armor.  Unfortunately she didn't receive her Oerlikons until '43 & double Oerlikons in '44 then Bofors in '45, and the torpedoes were removed in '42.

800px-HMAS_Australia_(D84)_at_sea_on_31_

Edited by Crij

[QNA]
Members
38 posts
18,995 battles

Interesting idea, thanks for asking for our input. Some ability to be able to swap Commenwealth CDRS with RN ships would be appreciated...

[-TNT-]
Members
16 posts
22,317 battles

It would be cool if it came from the new Soviet bb line,  and close to the "Pan-Asian" theme since the Huanghe has soviet roots.

[-TNT-]
Members
404 posts
15,434 battles

Would be nice , Love new BB as long as it's not a Georgia or Kii ...Both need work .... Or a sell back for doubloons .

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
On 8/6/2019 at 1:43 PM, Crij said:
  • In 1945:
  • 6 × 8-inch guns (3 twin turrets)
  • 8 × 4-inch guns (4 twin mounts)
  • 8 × 40 mm Bofors guns
  • 16 × .303-inch machine guns

Did they really keep the .303's? WHY?

[-K_P-]
Members
409 posts
3,437 battles
On 8/8/2019 at 2:54 PM, Sabot_100 said:

Did they really keep the .303's? WHY?

They worked, and didn't cost money to replace??

Who knows maybe there was no room to upgrade them where they were mounted so they left them and added more of the Oerlikons/Bofors. Always better to reinforce the wall of lead than to reduce it. 

Or the .303 was kept for anti-personnel usage when they were going after spys, smugglers and blockade runners.  :fish_viking:

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles
On 8/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

A Royal Mongolian Aircraft Carrier makes more sense than a Commonwealth Battleship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMAS_Australia_(1911)

HMAS Australia says hello. A Commonwealth battleship does in fact makes far more sense than a Mongolian aircraft carrier. Admittedly she's actually a battlecruiser and not a battleship, but WoWs lumps them together so it doesn't matter in the context of the game.

Unfortunately for the Commonwealth 'tech tree', that is literally the only option. HMAS Australia was the only big gun capital ship which served with a Commonwealth fleet, and wins any Commonwealth premium battleship race by default. At best she'd be tier 3, being from the same era as Dreadnought, having the same guns as Dreadnought, and also having no AA like Dreadnought. Whilst having less armour, and needing to be broadside to fire 8 guns unlike Dreadnought which can angle.

[LOIN]
Supertester
809 posts

This was mentioned above already. Well, there was the HMAS Australia which it was an Indefatigable class. That was built during the Great War. Other than that they didn't have any. It would just be cruisers and destroyers they would have.

Sign in to follow this