You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dusty25

What 1st Destroyer

26 comments in this topic

Members
30 posts
440 battles

With only approx. 170 games i'm going to try a destroyer.  What one should I  purchase first.  I don't have many choices but I though i'd give it a try.  Torpedo's are a pain but I've got to learn the game.

Dusty25

Members
15 posts
2 minutes ago, dusty25 said:

With only approx. 170 games i'm going to try a destroyer.  What one should I  purchase first.  I don't have many choices but I though i'd give it a try.  Torpedo's are a pain but I've got to learn the game.

Dusty25

The US and German lines are, to me, the easiest all-around DD's to get used to destroyer play before specializing in gunboats or torpedo boats.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,404 posts
15,850 battles
Just now, I_Potato_Ther4_I_Yam said:

Japan or US. 

Agreed. 

I would lean toward IJN since you have a split line and can do both of them for different play styles. 

[KRAK]
Members
3,714 posts
21,728 battles
14 minutes ago, dusty25 said:

Dusty25

I would start out with USN as IJN are a bit trickier since they are slow and not as maneuverable.

[LSNB]
Members
1,585 posts
4,409 battles

Try US or British, although UK DDs are somewhat harder to learn and in some ways similar to Japanese DDs.

[-K-]
Members
8,349 posts
14,149 battles
23 minutes ago, paradat said:

Agreed. 

I would lean toward IJN since you have a split line and can do both of them for different play styles. 

Except, to be honest, the line doesn't truly split until Tier 8.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,404 posts
15,850 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Except, to be honest, the line doesn't truly split until Tier 8.

Yeah go all the way to Shima first then try the gunboats. Great first experience.

Beta Testers
3,112 posts
25,930 battles
35 minutes ago, dusty25 said:

Dusty25

I've sent you a couple of gifts to help you out . Check your E-mail ……………..chow

• Cool 4

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

I found I clicked with IJN first. The torpedo boats are a lot of fun for me and they are great for starting if you like their gameplay - basically you are largely going to be a scout and your guns won't be worth much until tier 6 or 7, don't quite remember. The torp lead help and you'll have time to play conservatively, stay stealthed and learn how best to approach situations in a DD.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,921 battles

uns is easy to learn because its a "middle" dd, can work with torps and with guns, ijn is more torpboats (with exception of harugumo/kita/akizuki with is a great gunboats).

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

mainly cruiser's but trying the T2 IJN line atm, looking at stats/damage/win % seems they're all over the place nation wise with no clear winner

Members
367 posts
10,515 battles

I've played all the DD lines (except France - though I have an Aigle) up to Tier 8-10. Each line has a point where the ship isn't optimal for it's tier (usually around Tier 5-6), so you just have to power through those. If you want to learn torps in a way where you won't be seen while doing so, then I would recommend IJN since their torps usually have a longer range than their detection. One of the things you will want to do, regardless of nation, is train up a 10-point captain, which allows you to take the Concealment Expert skill. That makes a big difference for torping. If you would rather eschew torps, go with Russian DDs as they have the best velocity and range for long range combat, and the UK DDs have some of the highest RPM on the guns but are for short range brawling. If you want to contest caps where you need to use gun and torps together, then I would recommend the USN or German lines - *especially* the Germans, as they have access to Hydroacoustic Search from tier 6 onwards, so you can see torps in the water from long range.

[HAI]
Members
74 posts
4,519 battles

I main DDs.  Started on USN line.  I have USN line up to Gearing, UK line up to Jutland, French up to Mogador, and both IJN lines to tier 6. 

They all play remarkably differently, though the more I play, the more I appreciate having started at the USN line.  It's the most versatile.  Starting at tier 5 you get the classic 5x1 127mm guns you'll have all the way up until gearing, which gets 3x2.  The rate of fire will improve along the way up though.  Your torps will be short (relative to your concealment) until Mahan (tier 7), but it'll make you better at using them, in the long run.  Torps launched closer to a target are much easier to hit with. 

Starting with a torpedo boat can lead to play that's too passive and launching torps from too far that are unlikely to hit anything.  Playing the gunboat DDs can let you contest caps and bully other DDs, which at low tiers can do a lot to swing the outcome of a game, especially before radar.  Watch out for Atlanta's at tier 7 tho!  Also, the Mahan is just a beast in general.  This is when the USN line really starts to shine even though it's concealment is kinda terrible relative to the rest of the line. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,782 posts
4,631 battles
2 hours ago, dusty25 said:

Dusty25

I wouldn't purchase any of them.  Not until you get well up a tech tree line or two.   (Exceptions: the 99¢ T2s Smith and Tachibana Lima in the premium ship are just super fun.)

If you mean what lines to pursue?   I agree with the above - USN and KM (German).  Some people love IJN DDs; I don't.  Save those for later.  VMF (Russian) DDs are powerful but I'd consider that and the RN DDs to be advanced lines; I wouldn't start there.

Oh, and WELCOME to the game and the forum.  It's nice to have you here.

Edited by iDuckman

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,366 posts
20,047 battles
3 hours ago, dusty25 said:

Dusty25

Out of all of them I think the US destroyer line is most friendly to new players when I 1st started playing a wise old player told me to play 500 games in a Clemson and after that experience I had been fairly decent playing destroyers ever since 

Edit one more thing to add having a 10 point captain Is extremely powerful allowing you to have concealment expert and you can buy those are not very expensive well worth having

Edited by silverdahc

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,782 posts
4,631 battles
1 minute ago, silverdahc said:

Out of all of them I think the US destroyer line is most friendly to new players when I 1st started playing a wise old player told me to play 500 games in a Clemson and after that experience I had been fairly decent playing destroyers ever since

A good driver in T4 Clemson can rule the seas. 

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,366 posts
20,047 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

A good driver in T4 Clemson can rule the seas. 

Oh absolutely in fact once you get that 10 point captain and you're experienced it is borderline OP  In fact back in the day I could almost pull a kraken on demand

But it does teach you a lot of basic skills and can't rely on stealth torping you actually have to make good attack runs to get torps off and survive

Edited by silverdahc

[OO7]
Members
545 posts
6,770 battles

Clemson teaches you nothing on how to be a good dd player.  But USN or IJN dd are great to start out with... its fairly easy to use torp boat as a gun boat (to pad the torpedo output), but its extremely sub optimal to use gunboat as torp boats.

Edited by mixmkz

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

While USN are basically gunboats in the low to mid tiers, they become true hybrids in the high tiers and are very adaptable to most situations. For this reason, I always recommend the USN DDs as the first DD line.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,366 posts
20,047 battles
2 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Clemson teaches you nothing on how to be a good dd player.  But USN or IJN dd are great to start out with... its fairly easy to use torp boat as a gun boat (to pad the torpedo output), but its extremely sub optimal to use gunboat as torp boats.

I disagree wholeheartedly There's a lot of things it teaches you in a fairly safe environment after I played a bunch of games in it and learned how to survive until the end of games the rest of it all came together

Members
30 posts
440 battles

A player here has given me a gift.  I don't know how to collect it.  Can someone give me some directions on how to go an collect my gift.  As a dumm newbie here I don't know a lot of things, but a gift sounds nice.   Any help will be very much appreciated.

dusty

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,366 posts
20,047 battles
On 8/6/2019 at 11:30 AM, KURT_WOLFF said:

I've sent you a couple of gifts to help you out . Check your E-mail ……………..chow

11 minutes ago, dusty25 said:

A player here has given me a gift.  I don't know how to collect it.  Can someone give me some directions on how to go an collect my gift.  As a dumm newbie here I don't know a lot of things, but a gift sounds nice.   Any help will be very much appreciated.

dusty