You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPTMUDDXX

Planes crashing into ships?

17 comments in this topic

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

Yesterday when attacking an enemy ship my planes were shot down before getting a shot off. One of those planes crashed into the target ship's port side at the intersection of deck and bridge. The plane exploded into a large fireball but did no damage. This should have caused significant damage since the crashing plane would still be laden with Avgas and rockets, bombs or torpedoes.

@Kami I realize kamikaze suicide attacks aren't allowed but once the plane is dead the player has no control of it. In which case if that plane crashes into any ship enemy or ally or any destructible ground target that ship or target should be damaged. That damage should be commensurate with the planes fuel and weapons load. Fuel should cause a fire. Bombs and torpedoes penetration and blast damage. The this is a game not a combat simulator argument carries no weight here since near misses can damage/sink a DD and rounds fired before the ship or plane is destroyed still hit or miss the target or travel on until hitting an island or reach maximum range.    

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,136 posts
5,017 battles

Not only would that be entering the gray area for socially unacceptable (like realistic axis flags), but it also would be a major inconvenience. Its totally random, but would have a serious effect on your gameplay. 

In terms of realism, there are plenty of other non-damaging things that occur in a battle such as ramming allies and beaching.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[REVY]
Members
2,287 posts
12,285 battles
33 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Yesterday when attacking an enemy ship my planes were shot down before getting a shot off. One of those planes crashed into the target ship's port side at the intersection of deck and bridge. The plane exploded into a large fireball but did no damage. This should have caused significant damage since the crashing plane would still be laden with Avgas and rockets, bombs or torpedoes.

tumblr_lpist3gu7t1qbn4o5o1_500.gif?w=604

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,035 posts
11,620 battles

The problem is that it would then have to detect collision for starters - meaning that they would have to rework planes that impact for them is the same as a shell - also meaning they have to make adjustments that it has some sort of damage and fire chance - and also having to rework all the stuff with their flight and launching because there are cases these planes launch or fly through things and in all likelihood if they continued doing so would instead 'detonate' when hitting terrain, just like a shell. Which basically turning the plane into a shell, because that's more or less how it'd likely have to work, gets in to a moral grey area Wargaming doesn't typically want to mess with.

And even IF there was some change that Wargaming decided 'okay, lets do all that work' - doubtful because as it is getting them to make even the simplest changes to CV's like changing the plane appearance and model name that took modders 2 weeks to be the right historical plane and name was like pulling teeth in the dark while tied up hanging from the ceiling - your talking about doing this for a scenario that even when this very same idea, numerous times, was brought up in RTS, is still a low probability thing that likely happens 1 in 1000 battles if were being generous. So it'd likely be low as hell on the priority scale, especially with all the crap that needs fixing and adjusting just with CV's, let alone the rest of the game.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,081 posts
8,929 battles

Several months ago I had a bot plane that had been shot down crash onto the forecastle of my Missouri. It was a spectacular crash, but did no damage. I had previously wondered if this was possible and then was able to personally see it happen....

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,655 posts

Most other war-type games have suicide units. Ultima had a crystal sword, which could kill anything in the game but only could be used once. Age of Empires has petards, which go and blow themselves up in order to take out a wall. A fantasy mod of another game I used to play, which I can't recall the name of now, had a monster dog that would do a lot of damage to the enemy before it died. It would sure make the game more realistic to have Kamakazes but I can see why WG wants to shy away from this for PC reasons. 

[MEIST]
Members
1,505 posts
5,746 battles
15 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Most other war-type games have suicide units. Ultima had a crystal sword, which could kill anything in the game but only could be used once. Age of Empires has petards, which go and blow themselves up in order to take out a wall. A fantasy mod of another game I used to play, which I can't recall the name of now, had a monster dog that would do a lot of damage to the enemy before it died. It would sure make the game more realistic to have Kamakazes but I can see why WG wants to shy away from this for PC reasons. 

You can crash a ship into another and sink it. I don't see the difference between a ship or a plane crashing into a ship and doing damage. I can see them not wanting to have to do whatever the programing it would take for the planes, though.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Kami I realize kamikaze suicide attacks aren't allowed but once the plane is dead the player has no control of it. In which case if that plane crashes into any ship enemy or ally or any destructible ground target that ship or target should be damaged. That damage should be commensurate with the planes fuel and weapons load. Fuel should cause a fire. Bombs and torpedoes penetration and blast damage. The this is a game not a combat simulator argument carries no weight here since near misses can damage/sink a DD and rounds fired before the ship or plane is destroyed still hit or miss the target or travel on until hitting an island or reach maximum range.    

The problem is that the "planes" in this game aren't modeled as such.  They don't have flight models.  They have no mass.  They don't have 3D hit boxes.  The planes you see in the game are merely a visual presentation with no collision detection.  They're just animated scripts with an assigned health pool, that a player moves around the map and delivers damage to a selected point, and loses HP at a pre-determined calculated rate dependent on the amount of AAA it "flies" into.

Same for the crashing planes, just more animated scripts that are called once a certain amount of HP is lost.

It all looks nice, but it's just fluff.

To make it so that the planes actually have modelling might require yet another rework, and I'm not sure anyone is willing to put up with anymore of that.

...or, at the least, assign a damage dealing intercept point for planes that are shot down, as is done for shells, bombs, etc.  But more rewriting...

Edited by Kuckoo

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,655 posts
Just now, jager_geist said:

You can crash a ship into another and sink it. I don't see the difference between a ship or a plane crashing into a ship and doing damage. I can see them not wanting to have to do whatever the programing it would take for the planes, though.

This is true. However, when I ram an enemy I, as the conscientious captain that I am, I unload all of my sailors and then jump ship myself just before impact. I think you've hit the nail on the head with the "programming" though. It's one thing to program in visuals but another to keep track of individual falling planes. The processing time for the game would increase considerably.  

• Cool 1

[DBRIS]
Members
630 posts
11,161 battles

I had a plane crash on deck last night. It SHOULD have at least started a fire. I think you should be able to kamikaze the whole plane/ordnance load into a ship instead of fooling around on an attack run. You lose the planes either way, so why not.

• Confused 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

To all respondents. They can and should do the necessary programming to allow this. Yes the incidences of this happening would be rare but when it occurs the ship or ground facility should be damaged. Also ramming/scraping an ally does cause damage to both ships.

@Kami Please pass this up the line.

• Boring 1

[A_C_F]
Members
59 posts
1,771 battles

the problem with this right now... with the state of AA and the way CV's work only partial drops and almost every run being a single shot run.  I, as a CV player would just ram my planes into your ships. I'd probably get more damage that way and I might as well as every attack run is a one way trip any way.

• Cool 1

Members
310 posts
6,862 battles
4 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

CaptMuddXX, I think one day Kamikazes will enter game one day (Right at the same time when fellow ships can turn on the fire hoses and help your ship put out the fires, from Kamikazes etc.), because otherwise being sunk or heavily damage right out of the gate, will disturb game play and bring enjoyment levels to zero. A Kamikaze would surely start two (2) fires at a minimum on impact.... Imagine two -  three Kamikazes hitting your ship at once or in rapid succession, that's four (4) fires ! Let alone bomb damage. Captain, you would be screaming at the Kamikazes (out your bridge window) "GET AWAY FROM MY SHIP !... GET YOUR FILTHY PLANE AWAY FROM MY SHIP !!!!"   ,  because you would beyond and absolutely irate. I am all for historic game play, but Kamikazes do a massive amount of damage. The Fear would be real.

At 1:24:49 in this film, there is a historically accurate Kamikaze attack scene of 9 min or so.... Imagine if your ship was alone and fighter cover was refused or unavailable.

Edited by Ben_CA68

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

@Ben_CA68 My post has nothing to do with Kamikaze Suicide attacks WG has already rejected that many times. It would mess up their ages rating just the same as if they included people on the ships.

I only ask why that when a shot down plane crashes into a ship it doesn't cause damage. The player has no control of a shot down plane so there is no Kamikaze aspect to it. I seriously doubt that a player or AI controlled plane would impact anything since they automatically fly over tall terrain. I am rather certain that they would also climb over a ship while the player was controlling them. I suppose though if the player flew a plane fast enough and got close enough it might crash into the ship.

I don't think RNG is involved since a shot down plane just falls in an arc to the surface impacting the sea, land or a ship.

Members
310 posts
6,862 battles
10 hours ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Ben_CA68 My post has nothing to do with Kamikaze Suicide attacks WG has already rejected that many times. It would mess up their ages rating just the same as if they included people on the ships.

I only ask why that when a shot down plane crashes into a ship it doesn't cause damage. The player has no control of a shot down plane so there is no Kamikaze aspect to it. I seriously doubt that a player or AI controlled plane would impact anything since they automatically fly over tall terrain. I am rather certain that they would also climb over a ship while the player was controlling them. I suppose though if the player flew a plane fast enough and got close enough it might crash into the ship.

I don't think RNG is involved since a shot down plane just falls in an arc to the surface impacting the sea, land or a ship.

I would agree with you then, in that their should be some damage or at least chipping the paint....