Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CV_Jeebies

USN Gold ammo???

31 comments in this topic

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles

WG please shelf this as an April fools idea and don't delete the post.

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

@NoSoMo I had all 3 Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator games. All 3 allowed users to make mods for the games and most were quite good and interesting.

CFS 2 focused on the Pacific Campaign. One modder made a code for Nukes. I added it to my game and the first time I used it all of the surface targets were eliminated. After that one use I was surprised to find that every bomb in the game 500 pounds or greater became a nuke and there was no way to change it except uninstalling then reinstalling the game.

• Funny 2

[WOLFG]
Members
550 posts
12,652 battles

World of Tanks is that way if you want "gold ammo".  --->

(Actually, dunno if it's even still available.  Haven't played much WoT since I started playing World of Warships.)

[-A-8-]
Members
455 posts
19,315 battles

Sadly WoT does still allow easy mode ammo.... I mean gold rounds. Rarely play it now as everyoe spams it rather than learns the game mechanics.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
8 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

After that one use I was surprised to find that every bomb in the game 500 pounds or greater became a nuke

Cue B-52 D's in the Vietnam carpet-bombing campaigns. As the dozens of 750-pounders PER AIRPLANE leave the racks, the bomb-aimer says "Hey boss, what did you say we were carrying again?" :Smile_hiding:

The discussion of what a nuke would do in this game has been floated a couple of times just for theorycrafting. I proposed something like:

2km or less - automatic Devastating Strike on all ships of any type.

5km or less - Dev strike on destroyers. For the remainder: Immediate loss of 50% of HP. Everything catches fire in all four sectors (Fire Prevention is overloaded) and floods fore and aft. All ships take 50hp/sec continuous damage for the rest of the battle to reflect radiation effects on the crew. RDF, Radar and hydro are trashed for the rest of the battle. CV loses its entire deck park and airborne squadron, and must reconstitute the lot at 50% of standard rate.

10km or less - Immediate loss of 25% of HP. All four sectors roll RNG for fires as if for Conqueror 457's, hull rolls RNG for flooding fore and aft as for Sims sea-mines. All ships take 25 hp/sec continuous damage as above. Radar and RDF are trashed for the rest of the battle. CV loses its deck park and airborne squadron and must regenerate at 75% of standard rate. 

20km or less - Immediate loss of 10% of HP. All four sectors roll RNG for fires as if KGV main gun hit. No automatic flooding. All ships take 15hp/sec as above. CV loses 50% of its deck park and its airborne squadron. Radar and RDF are trashed for the rest of the battle. Continuous damage is 15hp/sec.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu One problem with nukes in this game is that none of the planes have the altitude to use one without suiciding. 

• Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
29,069 posts
8,322 battles
13 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

@Ensign_Cthulhu One problem with nukes in this game is that none of the planes have the altitude to use one without suiciding. 

I want to say that also, none of them were capable of carrying the cumbersome devices of that time.

[ARA-I]
Members
134 posts
2,434 battles
22 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

No problem, just standard procedure with CVs.

Please, make it so.

Edited by Ghostar_1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
13 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I want to say that also, none of them were capable of carrying the cumbersome devices of that time.

Tommy Thomason's "Strike from the Sea" makes a very interesting read, as it covers the evolution of the US Navy's nuclear strike capability, from the AJ Savage to carry the first-generation USN Bomb and the P-2 Neptune which carried it on B-25-like basis (carrier launch without retrieval) until the Savage was ready.  The AD-4B version of the Skyraider was also capable of taking a tactical nuke, and considering that some of the ships in this game entered service in the late 1950s it would be in reasonable consideration as a CV-launched nuclear bomber if you wanted to go down that route.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles

Ok, say this gets introduced. It won't, but say it does. What does every other nation get for equivalent superweapon? It is this a case of 'everything for the USN and screw any remote semblance of balance'?

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,792 posts
4,631 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Ok, say this gets introduced. It won't, but say it does. What does every other nation het for equivalent superweapon? It is this a case of 'everything for the USB and screw any remote semblance of balance'?

I won't speak to a (rather contentious) hypothetical, except to note that a Japanese nuclear program is already in the game.  Scenario Ultimate FU.

• Funny 1

[LOSC]
Members
579 posts

I had World of Tanks ( NA & Eu Accounts )and quit because of GOLD ammo.

It was Stupid to allow folks with money have an advantage over those that could not afford it.

Our group (Legion of Sparta) ran some very popular ArmA2 servers and someone made a hack that launched nukes on our server. The outcome was every single person on the server was killed.  Needless to say we figured out the script and had to lock our servers.

You would not want a weapon that kills more than one ship at a time! 

Edited by Halli_SPARTA

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The discussion of what a nuke would do in this game has been floated a couple of times just for theorycrafting.

Read up on Operation Crossroads:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crossroads#Ships

We used a 23 kiloton air dropped bomb in the first test and another 23 kt underwater blast for the second.  The target fleet was a large collection of ships, many of which are represented in WOWS.  Basically to have good odds of sinking or seriously damaging the target ship you had to be within a kilometer.

Poor Prinz Eugen took both nukes like a champ but ended up radioactive and leaking (I guess all ships are leaking to some degree so if you're not powering the pumps you're slowly sinking) and ended up face down in Kwajalein atoll - you can still see it if you fly in.

The picture in OP's screenshot is the Upshot-Knothole Grable test (what a name!) which was a 15 kt warhead, so somewhat less destructive than the Operation Crossroads tests.

Edited by Brhinosaurus

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
5 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Poor Prinz Eugen took both nukes like a champ

This reminds me of the account of the Japanese gentleman who had the misfortune to be evacuated after the Hiroshima bombing to Nagasaki, and survived that as well. I think he is either unique or in a very small minority of people to survive two nuclear attacks.

Thanks for correcting my impressions on what a nuke in WOWS should do. That being said... the question is always "How big a nuke are we testing?"

Members
165 posts
6,310 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Ok, say this gets introduced. It won't, but say it does. What does every other nation het for equivalent superweapon? It is this a case of 'everything for the USB and screw any remote semblance of balance'?

Germany: Die Glocke
Everyone else: Binoculars and chairs

Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Cue B-52 D's in the Vietnam carpet-bombing campaigns. As the dozens of 750-pounders PER AIRPLANE leave the racks, the bomb-aimer says "Hey boss, what did you say we were carrying again?" :Smile_hiding:

The discussion of what a nuke would do in this game has been floated a couple of times just for theorycrafting. I proposed something like:

2km or less - automatic Devastating Strike on all ships of any type.

5km or less - Dev strike on destroyers. For the remainder: Immediate loss of 50% of HP. Everything catches fire in all four sectors (Fire Prevention is overloaded) and floods fore and aft. All ships take 50hp/sec continuous damage for the rest of the battle to reflect radiation effects on the crew. RDF, Radar and hydro are trashed for the rest of the battle. CV loses its entire deck park and airborne squadron, and must reconstitute the lot at 50% of standard rate.

10km or less - Immediate loss of 25% of HP. All four sectors roll RNG for fires as if for Conqueror 457's, hull rolls RNG for flooding fore and aft as for Sims sea-mines. All ships take 25 hp/sec continuous damage as above. Radar and RDF are trashed for the rest of the battle. CV loses its deck park and airborne squadron and must regenerate at 75% of standard rate. 

20km or less - Immediate loss of 10% of HP. All four sectors roll RNG for fires as if KGV main gun hit. No automatic flooding. All ships take 15hp/sec as above. CV loses 50% of its deck park and its airborne squadron. Radar and RDF are trashed for the rest of the battle. Continuous damage is 15hp/sec.

I don't know about you guys, but I'd definitely use this for team damage.

[-KAK-]
Members
585 posts
10,929 battles
27 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

I don't know about you guys, but I'd definitely use this for team damage.

Start the game, wait 30s for your guns to load, target the largest clump of ships (Since we're 30s in game, they're still clumped up in spawn) and fire. 

Boys, I think we've found the next Kitikami.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles
2 minutes ago, TheOmegaDuck said:

Start the game, wait 30s for your guns to load, target the largest clump of ships (Since we're 30s in game, they're still clumped up in spawn) and fire. 

Boys, I think we've found the next Kitikami.

If you could kill 11 teammates in one shot, would you pass pink and go directly to orange?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

I say let's add it ... but give it a 30,000m dispersion. Meaning that if it gets launched, it will randomly drop anywhere on the map.

That should make it more exciting ;)

Members
1,739 posts
10,757 battles
37 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If you could kill 11 teammates in one shot, would you pass pink and go directly to orange?

They might just send us to plaid.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,616 posts
8,595 battles
Just now, Pytheas said:

They might just send us to plaid.

With the rumors of Kitakami coming back, this is an important piece of information to have available.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,654 posts
7 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

Just a thought -- this is 11", 16 would be nice.
image.png.fca49431c233fe9d69415d1d6eec45ec.png

You might not realize this but the US used to have quite an inventory of tactical nuclear shells that could be fired from standard field artillery and ships' guns. I was in a nuclear-capable artillery unit myself. This was done away with under an arms limitation treaty but for several decades the option was there.

Sign in to follow this