You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MalignantNarcissist

I'm tempted to Quit This Game

89 comments in this topic

[CHSS]
Members
24 posts
836 battles

I love this game really, but I am getting sick and tired of getting blown up. I have looked everywhere for good advice but nothing I've seen and tried has worked except sporadically.

I did fairly well in Savage Battle mode and have a good battle here and there but basically I stink up the joint most of the time. In Co-op mode I have a 94% win rate and in Random I have a 46% win rate. I rarely survive a battle in Random. I don't use voice chat but I do try to follow commands in the text box.

The problem is mainly this: I can't find any really useful advice as when I follow the advice I have found I get pummeled by three or four ships at once and get little or no support from my teammates.

The Youtube videos are great but in them the "teacher" is not getting the snot hammered out of them.

It infuriates me to no end to have some guy not missing a shot on me but at the same time I can't hit him for crap even though my shots seem to be going right through his ship.

I know I sound whiny and I don't want to have to quit this game to keep from going postal on my computer. I need really useful advice, mainly how to start off my game and what to watch for. I sail dd's most of the time but have a few cruisers and a couple of bb's.

Any advice would be appreciated. Snark will be ignored.

Thank you

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,970 battles

Best advice I can give is don't play the game because you are financially attached. Play it because you want to. You wont always be playing this game, and so staying only because of your investment will hurt much much more later on down the road. 

As for advice, you are in the right place. Everyone makes mistakes, and with 500 games you aren't exactly a well seasoned veteran. If you find yourself getting bullied around, there is no shame in dropping down to a comfortable tier. 

You are still a 'new player' in many respects... You just have to be diligent and always trying to improve:Smile_medal:

• Cool 2

Members
273 posts
7,532 battles
8 minutes ago, MalignantNarcissist said:

I love this game really, but I am getting sick and tired of getting blown up. I have looked everywhere for good advice but nothing I've seen and tried has worked except sporadically.

I did fairly well in Savage Battle mode and have a good battle here and there but basically I stink up the joint most of the time. In Co-op mode I have a 94% win rate and in Random I have a 46% win rate. I rarely survive a battle in Random. I don't use voice chat but I do try to follow commands in the text box.

The problem is mainly this: I can't find any really useful advice as when I follow the advice I have found I get pummeled by three or four ships at once and get little or no support from my teammates.

The Youtube videos are great but in them the "teacher" is not getting the snot hammered out of them.

It infuriates me to no end to have some guy not missing a shot on me but at the same time I can't hit him for crap even though my shots seem to be going right through his ship.

I know I sound whiny and I don't want to have to quit this game to keep from going postal on my computer. I need really useful advice, mainly how to start off my game and what to watch for. I sail dd's most of the time but have a few cruisers and a couple of bb's.

Thank you

First you only have 550 battles. You're very new to this game. I'd stick to random to improve aim and play. Co OP is just to easy to improve. Also, if you think you'll survive every match think again. My survival rate is well below 40%  

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,411 posts
14,163 battles

It sounds like you are rushing forward which works great against the idiocy of the bots but is a death sentence against real people. So quit rushing forward, watch what the DD's and if they are in the match what the CV's find and react to that.

Put that Graf Spee away and stay in tier 3 & 4 and work on staying alive a little longer while still doing damage.

3 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Best advice I can give is don't play the game because you are financially attached. Play it because you want to. You wont always be playing this game, and so staying only because of your investment will hurt much much more later on down the road. 

As for advice, you are in the right place. Everyone makes mistakes, and with 500 games you aren't exactly a well seasoned veteran. If you find yourself getting bullied around, there is no shame in dropping down to a comfortable tier. 

You are still a 'new player' in many respects... You just have to be diligent and always trying to improve:Smile_medal:

He is pretty much already in the more comfortable tiers.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[-AGW-]
Members
977 posts
13,439 battles

Learn the game. Take your lumps. Don't expect to be a unicum right out of the gate. Spend the time to learn. Don't count on anyone to help you out in a match if you are doing something stupid. They will not help you just to get themselves killed.

It will take a long time. Longer than you think. Don't think more money is going to speed things up.

• Cool 1

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles

You're primarily playing cruisers.  They're unforgiving at low tiers.  It gets better.

If you're being focused by 3 or 4 ships at once, you're likely rushing in too fast and/or not using cover.  Don't fire at the first thing you see.   Make sure you have a plan to retreat to cover before you shoot at something. 

• Cool 4

Members
1,293 posts
7,142 battles

You have only 124 random battles. That is basically nothing. It will take time to improve. By 1,000 battles you probably still won't be very good but you will be better. 

You also have over 300 Co-Op battles. If you're having fun in those that's great but you will never become a good PvP player by playing Co-Op and it sounds like you want to be one. Keep looking at those youtube videos and watch streamers. Listen to their advice. There's a reason they don't get the snot hammered out of them and it's not because they're famous (quite the opposite). Positioning is king. Concealment is king. Learn the concealment mechanics. You don't want to overextend in a ship and you don't want to play so far back you're barely effective. Like I said finding the balance will take time and you will screw up many times. Don't be in a rush to get to high tiers. You will just get hammered harder. Your skill is much more important than the ship you're in. 

Edited by Rocketpacman
  • Cool 1

[CHSS]
Members
24 posts
836 battles

Luckily I play only the free version. I did get a super container today with 1000 doubloons but I always do the "try you luck" thing. You guys already make me feel better telling me I'm still a noob in many respects. 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,479 posts

I get blown up all the time.  Most people get blown up all the time.  That's just part of the game.

• Cool 2

[CHSS]
Members
24 posts
836 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

I get blown up all the time.  Most people get blown up all the time.  That's just part of the game.

Actually, I think I got you in savage battle once, lol

Members
1,293 posts
7,142 battles

Another thing that is not immediately obvious is the importance of the minimap. The more attention you pay to the minimap the better you will do. The default minimap is very small. You can and should make it much bigger so you can clearly read it. I don't know if the vanilla settings are still the same but also be sure to turn on last known ship position if it's not already on. This will put the last known position of enemies on the minimap. 

Edited by Rocketpacman
  • Cool 2

[A-D-F]
7,479 posts
5 minutes ago, MalignantNarcissist said:

Actually, I think I got you in savage battle once, lol

I am sure you did :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
574 posts
12,862 battles

Play one class until you are tired of playing it. Nothing makes sense until you get it. Best way to learn is to not judge yourself for your mistakes. Watch other people play after you die to get a sense on how you want to play moving forward. The time you invest in yourself will always be worth it. Watching videos only makes you wish to be something your not because each player is their own player. 

My advice is to play the same class but use different nations to find what fits you. Play the class till the same tier for several nations and then make a choice or several choices of what you like. The ship may define a play style which will lead you to define how you play. But in the end you will end up defining the ships you play. Then it will be only a matter of playing different nations to teach yourself other play styles that you have yet to learn. Mastering all of them will not only teach you new lessons in playing but will come in to defining who you will become through all of those lessons. Good luck. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,232 posts
9,849 battles
1 hour ago, MalignantNarcissist said:

I love this game really, but I am getting sick and tired of getting blown up.

Weeee haw, she blowed up good! Blowed up real good!

Seriously, embrace your inner masochist and enjoy getting blowed up good. Blowed up real good!

• Funny 1

Members
245 posts
6,371 battles

I'm no great player myself but if I might suggest the Iron Duke at tier 5 in the British BB tree is an excellent ship to learn in good enough armor, and great He makes the guns easy to use. It's a good ship to learn to gauge the flow of battle in. The slower pace of a bb would let you pay more attention to the overall postioning an fight.

Edited by Cirdane
  • Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
17,722 battles

I love this game really, but I am getting sick and tired of getting blown up. I have looked everywhere for good advice but nothing I've seen and tried has worked except sporadically...

Any advice would be appreciated...

This is a very complex game covered in a veneer of arcade game simplicity. You are still a VERY new player. And there is a LOT to learn.

You are watching Youtube videos, which is a big help. But internalizing what you see on a video and making use of it in game is very challenging. One thing that helps is knowing something about game mechanics. Every ship you have has different capabilities. Different weapons, different firing arcs, different armor schemes... the list is long. So all of them should be played slightly differently, though some lines will have strong similarities in some areas. Learning all you can about your ship will help.

Did you know there are videos built into the game to help you learn some of those things? From your port screen, hit the ESC key and look at the screen. You will see a button for tutorials. That is a great place to start. And if you looked at them when you started, looking at them now, after playing a bit, will let you take more away from them.

After that, I recommend making use of the WoWS Wiki. Use this link, scroll down, and find the "Basics," "Game Mechanics," "Options," and "Information" sections. Read those. Then read them again after you hit the 1000 game mark. In my opinion, part of what new players run into is not knowing what they don't know. The more you play, the more the information will mean to you. It becomes more real with time, and easier to implement. In the WoWS Wiki you can also find a lot of helpful information about specific ships you have in your port.

Also, I strongly urge you to make use of the WoWS-approved Modstation. In addition to improving visuals, there are some approved mods that provide in-game information that is extremely helpful. You can check out two short videos I put together that will show you a little about Modstation and where to find it here in the forums.

I am no unicum player, but I have improved quite a bit over time by following the advice I am giving you here.

Many players come to the forums and in their frustration complain about how awful the game is. I applaud your willingness to accept that there is room for personal improvement. For what it's worth, I decided pretty early on that I would make learning more about the game a part of the fun. And that has helped a lot.

Best of luck and I hope you stick around and enjoy this game we all love for a long time.

Respects,

Am

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

YouTube video content creators tend to cherry-pick better performances to upload.  Even they get the snot hammered out of them sometimes.  Everyone does.

You are very new and have a lot to learn, much of it will have to be done the hard way.  As long as you're objective and self-analytical, you'll get better.  It'll come, but it takes time.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 3

[WOLF3]
Members
26,992 posts
23,790 battles

At 500 games OP, if you are just now getting into Randoms you're likely getting crushed.  I got to around 1200 games before I got tired of it and started wondering WHY I was getting spanked hard all the time.  Simply hitting "BATTLE!" button isn't going to change anything.  You have to do things different.  An old post of mine to help someone that was having problems.

Game mechanics like concealment, HE Pens, etc. are nice and you need to learn them eventually, but it's how you sail your ship and preventing stupid mistakes that put you on a silver platter are what get you started on improving as a player.

Learn from a mistake you did, and also watch what other players do and learn from their successes and mistakes.  This is a lot more time consuming, but watching what other players do after you sink will hopefully teach you something about playing your ship better.  I stress again, simply spamming "BATTLE!" button will not help you if you keep on making the same mistakes and not know why you keep getting hammered.

Personally, when I was a new player, I didn't ask for help, I didn't dive into YouTube videos, not even to learn game mechanics.  What I did was look a lot of what I was doing, catching mistakes and giving harsh self assessments.  I also read the forums a lot to learn about mechanics.  It was a very slow, long process to go from 1200 Random Battles with a 43-45% WR, to 50%+.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[W-P-A]
[W-P-A]
Members
242 posts
13,205 battles

Like all the others had said, it is very good advice. I am an average or maybe a little below average player. I try to get better. If you play destroyers, try to hug islands. Don't be too much in the open. Cruisers and Battleships are support vessels, don't rush into a battle. Me, I kind of sit back and let everyone else move first. To see where most of the ships are lining up. Never go it alone, it is certain death. Also, less chance that someone will run into your ship if all is moving out at once. If in a cruiser or battleship, I try to stick with the other cruisers and bb's. They always say "safety in numbers".

And by all means, it is just a game. Destroying computer equipment over a game is not worth it. I should know in the past, I have a very bad temper. I've gone through 1 mouse and 1 keyboard. Not because of a game, but when either of those items doesn't want to work like they are supposed to. Especially keyboards and their sticky keys.

[CHSS]
Members
24 posts
836 battles
9 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Are you hitting what you shoot at?  Are you using dynamic reticle?

Yes I am using dynamic reticle. Most of the time I hit what I'm aiming at once I get the range, but lately my shots either fall a hair short or a hair long. I think "there's no way I'm missing" but I am.

Members
3,378 posts
6,787 battles

Thank you

The main problem of getting blown up too fast is when you are not paying attention to your position relative to the proximity of your enemy. When you start to venture closer to the enemy and get spotted - ALL EYES are on you and your lucky to be severely damaged and survive but most of the time - your done.   When you start out you have to get some game plan to position yourself so that your not the one who is further than the rest...watch your friendly ship positions and where they are headed. I try to be at the back of the pack or in the center. If you see a high concentration of enemy ships and your friendly ships lack the numbers...head back and retreat.  The rest of your team will in all probaility be wiped out unless the enemy team are pure potatos.   When the battle starts..don't rush in even if your a DD.  DD's are almost always the first ones to die because they spotted for the team..but spotted and got killed while the rest of the team benefited with your spotting.  Don't let idiots who message you say its your job either.  In fact they are only thinking of themselves.  Once you start by being careful and planning where you want to be to play it safe..you will find you last a lot longer than you did before.   Some people play it really safe by going into areas where the enemy is not even around which usually ends up they become the last players to die.   When in Co-OP and Ramdom its everyone for themselves and rarely you get any teamplay. Sure sometimes you get a buddy which work out together and thats immensely enjoyable but a rare event.  But change your game play is the only way to get results. Study the map and the enemy and friendly concentration of ships.    If you need practice try the training room as it is no cost to you.   

• Cool 1