Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

Built-in Propulsion Modification 2 for diesel engine and turboelectric drive ships (Friedrich der Grosse, Z-52, Siegfried, Colorado, etc.)

4 comments in this topic

Members
1,296 posts
882 battles

A thought came to my mind regarding the few ships that use diesel engines rather than steam turbine propulsion. One of the advantages of diesel compared to steam turbines is that a diesel engine is much more responsive to throttle inputs than steam turbines. Germany is notable in they have several ships in-game with diesel engines, namely the H-39 Friedrich der Grosse, Z-52, Graf Spee, and Battlecruiser “O” Siegfried, and perhaps Grosser Kurfuerst (hybrid diesel and steam turbine propulsion). Incidentally, these ships are also some of the ones that are in need of some help, so I think it could be an interesting buff to give these diesel ships the built-in effect of Propulsion Modification 2 (50% faster transition to full power, better slow speed acceleration).

Similarly, I think turboelectric drive ships can also use this benefit, namely the Langley, Colorado, West Virginia, and Lexington. Note that New Mexico had her turboelectric drive replaced by geared steam turbines after her refit.

As a useful historical side note, Germany put quite a lot of investment into marine diesels for their warships due to superior thermal efficiency compared to steam propulsion. This would enable considerably longer endurance, which was especially important for Germany because they lacked the large number of overseas naval bases that the British had. As a result, range was a much bigger design driver in German warships. I believe the very high pressure boilers on the Admiral Hipper-class cruisers were also the result of that, though these boilers were notoriously unreliable. The downside of marine diesels at that time is that the power-to-space density is considerably worse than steam turbines, i.e. diesel propulsion takes up much more space than a steam turbine system of the same power output.

Edited by DeliciousFart
  • Cool 4

[TSF]
Beta Testers
401 posts
13,952 battles

The USN used turbine-electric drives to replace the poor reliability reciprocating engines after WW I, because the USN did not have the high power turbine direct drive gear boxes, like the Royal Navy used. The USN did not want to be dependent on the RN, and the RN was not willing to sell the USN the license to produce the gear boxes in the US. The USN started the transition as soon as the US designs were available, and even retrofitted some ships, like the USS New Mexico.

I was stationed at the Bremerton yard in the early 60s as the USS Columbus, CG12 was being completed. I had the opportunity to tour the Electrical shop there. Against one wall were several of the DC generators that were used being directly driven by steam turbines. The DC motors that were powered by those generators had their rotors fastened to the propeller drive shafts, which were about 8" in diameter and 40 to 60 feet long. The generators and motors were about 12 feet in diameter and were 20 feet long. I remember there were 6 or 8 sets of this hardware. This hardware made a real impression on an 18 year-old kid, and was one thing that contributed to my being a life-long naval history buff.

• Cool 1

[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
391 posts
11,775 battles

The problem with this idea is, the changes you proposed are fundamentally balance changes. Basing balance changes on historical data on certain ships without regard to ship line play style will introduce inconsistencies to the ship lines and make it hard for players to grasp what the ship line is supposed to play as. All the British CLs and DDs get the built-in acceleration mod, that is their characteristic, and that is fine even if historically none of these ships had that characteristics. This is a game after all. But if you are going to introduce this feature to selected ships in various ship lines like a few US and KM BBs but the tech tree line in general don't have the feature, it's not a good idea as it will break the consistency of the ship line. If you want to change the balance of these ships, change features that will keep the playstyle or characteristics of these ships to be consistent with their ship lines.

Members
4,313 posts
4,585 battles

Would be interesting if the module got an innate reduced cost, but then it would shoe horn people into only getting those because it's cheaper than the others.  

Sign in to follow this