You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Whatever happened to destructible maps?

17 comments in this topic

Members
2,439 posts
5,375 battles

I saw this idea floating around with WG and even saw video months ago of them testing shooting ice to open a new area. What happened to this? Havent heard a word in months.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,015 posts
22,576 battles

I had forgotten about that, it would be a bit of fun. Personally I enjoy shelling the little villages on the islands. It would be nice to be able to actually level them..... 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,131 posts
4,088 battles
7 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

I had forgotten about that, it would be a bit of fun. Personally I enjoy shelling the little villages on the islands. It would be nice to be able to actually level them..... 

That used to be a thing, it was called Bastion and it wasn't real popular.

I too would like to be able to flatten the villages. I suspect that that would take a lot of work and map load for something that doesn't add to the gameplay. Probably not worth it. Also, the biggest performance hits have historically come from map features, so making the villages something that can be interacted with may cause some performance and loading issues as well.

The iceberg thing would be cool, and did go into some kind of test, but haven't heard anything since. It may have died, not everything that gets announced makes it into the game. Missiles were tested, WG was considering putting them on an RU DD line, but the tests showed it wouldn't work, so they canned it. That said, I would like to know what happened with the icebergs.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,459 battles

We do have the Forts and Facilities on some of the Scenario maps. I suppose they could make the airfields and other facilities on random battle maps destructible and add to the victory conditions protecting those on your teams half of the map and destroying those on the opponents side of the map.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles

Problem would be some of of the uh clueless players would spend their time shelling islands instead of enemy ships on Random battles if Wargaming added the ability to damage islands in any manner other than what we do in Scenerio mode.

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,665 battles

April Fool's I hope :Smile_sceptic:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,015 posts
22,576 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

That is because they put Bastion into PvP where it did not belong. They should have made it for PvE..... Whomever thought it would be a good idea to include it into the competitive mode was a nitwit. 

[WOLF7]
Members
12,597 posts
1 hour ago, Taylor3006 said:

Ever played Killer Whale? Ever lost Killer Whale due to idiot team mates shooting shore installations, and ignoring the ships.....:cap_hmm:

This is why destructible structures in game is a bad idea. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,015 posts
22,576 battles
33 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Ever played Killer Whale? Ever lost Killer Whale due to idiot team mates shooting shore installations, and ignoring the ships.....:cap_hmm:

I have played all the OPs and completed them. Never had problems like that. 

• Cool 2

Members
63 posts
17,975 battles

Simple destructable terrain is fun but gets boring quickly.  How about some strategic terrain features...

• Give the villages shore batteries and when the village is shelled they get mad and start shooting at anything within range.
  • There are dormant volcanoes on some maps; make 'em so when shelled they become active and start throwing out lava bombs, destroying any ships hiding near the island.
  • Cool 1

Members
4,318 posts
4,594 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

I too would like to be able to flatten the villages. I suspect that that would take a lot of work and map load for something that doesn't add to the gameplay. Probably not worth it. Also, the biggest performance hits have historically come from map features, so making the villages something that can be interacted with may cause some performance and loading issues as well.

The iceberg thing would be cool, and did go into some kind of test, but haven't heard anything since. It may have died, not everything that gets announced makes it into the game. Missiles were tested, WG was considering putting them on an RU DD line, but the tests showed it wouldn't work, so they canned it. That said, I would like to know what happened with the icebergs.

[LOSC]
Members
579 posts

How about just have things like the airfields, with fuel depots, when shot smoke up an area for a couple minutes.

[SIC]
Members
95 posts
7,934 battles
4 hours ago, awiggin said:

Yes.

No.

I've seen the opposite, everybody ignoring the installations and losing secondary tasks.

[LEGIO]
Members
3,449 posts
7,714 battles

In the list of cool rejected ideas along with...

- Scenario fighting German forces and their flying saucers in Antarctica

- A model of a massive Project Habbakuk aircraft carrier planned to be used for... something? 

- Beaching ships

- Flooding working separately from damage

- Shallow waters were only DDs can go

- I can only assume they considered real manual control for secondaries at some point