Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MatthewT89

8.7 PTS Critique (PLSE NO SALT)!!!

34 comments in this topic

[SUCIT]
Members
20 posts
15,341 battles

The following is based on my experiences with the public test.

Pros: The new AA mechanic is great. It's super easy to use and it actually works if used properly. When playing CV, I noticed more planes returning from an attack, so that buff was successful. 

Cons: While the immunity height change was good, the buff to CV's Aim stabilization, and the re-balance of AA strength (strong AA boats weaker, while weak AA boats stronger) was not even noticeable. I can't seem to get a bead on a maneuvering DD. Even though I tried to predict where it would be in the next 5 seconds, I can't maneuver or get my aim down quick enough for it to matter (and don't get me started on Midway's torpedo bombers). Research Bureau: I was exhausted grinding the lines even with the overly generous PTS grind (4000 XP for a T10). The live version is going to be a nightmare. 

Undecided: Haven't reground enough lines to get enough research points to play Italian cruisers. so I can't say if I like them or not. Maybe next time in PTS Round 2.

Thoughts and Ideas: Have another look at the numbers for AA boats of all tiers for a more noticeable difference. Maybe now that this new AA mechanic works maybe consider removing the DFAA consumable. As for the Research Bureau: I won't say it can never work or that it will never be a good idea, but I really hope if you actually go through with this idea it doesn't involve regrinding whole lines. Maybe something less taxing. or more importantly something a new player can dive into from the start without having a T10.

Just my thoughts and two cents. I may edit some of this later. I hope this critique is both productive and respectful.

Edited by MatthewT89
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 2

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles

I like the new carrier autopilot (autopilot for all ships?) plotting, at least how it looks on the minimap; but it seems a bit buggy. Ships sometimes ignore the course and hit an island, or some random mouse stroke and they do the usual ‘sail off towards the enemy.’

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts

The new AA mechanic is a nuisance, it keeps popping up "press O to waste your time" even if you've already done it once... really hoping that doesn't make it into live.

The new tech trees are fugly, and now require scrolling to see the entire tree.

Most of the missions  are PVP-only.

The Italian cruisers are evidently locked behind the NTC/RB nonsense.

Waste of time to even download it.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,662 posts
27,160 battles
26 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The new AA mechanic is a nuisance, it keeps popping up "press O to waste your time" even if you've already done it once... really hoping that doesn't make it into live.

:Smile_great: I just love a positive attitude.....

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
54 minutes ago, MatthewT89 said:

Pros: The new AA mechanic is great.

As a cruiser driver, I'm not sure I like it.  I think I have it figured out now, and it does shoot down planes.  So maybe it's okay.  More experience needed.

56 minutes ago, MatthewT89 said:

Cons:  [CVs]

I played a couple, but I'm so bad with them I wouldn't know sh# from shinola.  I defer.

57 minutes ago, MatthewT89 said:

Research Bureau:

Agree, more or less.  It's a matter of taste.  It's okay on the PT, but I likely won't do it any time soon after it goes live.  The mechanism seems solid, though. A couple of anomalies, like being unable to reset multiple lines.

I'm not sure that everyone grasps that you don't have to grind the re-grind.  You can progress up the tree either by earning XP, or by spending FXP.  Only one win per ship is required for the Research Points.

1 hour ago, MatthewT89 said:

Italian cruisers.

Yep.  Maybe in round 2.

1 hour ago, MatthewT89 said:

Research Bureau:  ... something a new player can dive into from the start without having a T10. 

I don't see that ever happening.

I appreciate your thoughts!

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts
4 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

:Smile_great: I just love a positive attitude.....

I'm being exactly as positive as the 0.8.7 PTS deserves.

When they give me something to be positive about, I'll be positive.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
34 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I like the new carrier autopilot (autopilot for all ships?) plotting,

For the first PT reward I play a Tier 1 Co-op.  I'll plot a course and concentrate on the pew-pewing, seeing if I can kill the entire red team.  In this PT, Auto-pilot surprised me by plotting a course *around* an island it thought I would have grounded on.  The all-ships thing does seem to be a thing.  Good.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts

Some of these changes will likely have DDs will come out losing.  The new priority sector with with a ramp up and them only a short 5 second full buff period will hurt DDs.  DDs have their AA turned off until they get spotted at ~2.5-3km.  You pop the new priority sector and by the time it ramps up to full power the planes have flown over your ship to the weak side and you got no use at of this new system.  Then you have the cooldown that means you just aren't going to be able to effective switch sides to fire at the planes as they overfly like you can now.  In the current system you can switch sides as you maneuver in 5 seconds.  In the new system you have the whole activation time and cooldown before you can switch.  This new system is a fail for DDs.

On top of that we have the changes in DFAA.  Again, DDs have AA off until the planes spot them, which means the planes will be inside the flak area and you won't get any use from the buffed flak at all.  Even if you can pop your DFAA at full range the amount of flak you can output is so low its not a meaningful threat.  Add to that the DFAA dps buff being cut from 100-200% to 50% is going really hurt, especially the DDs that had the 200% buff.  The DDs that did have some reasonable AA will have taken a massive hit, Groz, Gearing, Kidd, Sims and so on.  As usual, sh*t rolls downhill and DDs are always at the bottom.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[SUCIT]
Members
20 posts
15,341 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Edited by MatthewT89

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts

Since some wanted a positive comment -- one thing I did not notice before, that might actually be a very positive change if it's what it looks like.

The range bands on the AA appear to no longer mysteriously end where the next band in begins... all the AA bands now show a minimum range of 0.1 km.

IF that's what it looks like, that's one of the major issues I've been calling out since the PTS, and I'd be very very happy about it, and I'd give WG full credit for finally addressing it.

• Cool 3

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
48 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Some of these changes will likely have DDs will come out losing.

I've been listening to you for a long time now.  A change in the weather; a cloud obscuring the sun; a rise in the price of corn; all these things "will likely have DDs will come out losing".

Please try singing another tune. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

I've been listening to you for a long time now.  A change in the weather; a cloud obscuring the sun; a rise in the price of corn; all these things "will likely have DDs will come out losing".

Did you even consider anything I said, or did you just dismiss it outright?  Why don't you explain where my thinking is flawed?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles

Are you familiar with the tale of the boy who cried wolf?  He cried so often that no one cared what he said.

You may have a point.  I don't know.  I don't care.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 4
  • Confused 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,910 battles

what the f... they are testing this terrible ntc idea alread?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts
15 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

what the f... they are testing this terrible ntc idea alread?

Yeah.

And to try to leverage people into doing it on PTS, it appears they walled the Italian cruisers behind it on the server.

[SBS]
Members
5,898 posts
50 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Are you familiar with the tale of the boy who cried wolf?  He cried so often that no one cared what he said.

You may have a point.  I don't know.  I don't care.

Funny, what you are referring to is that I said the rework would impact DDs and the most, and that is exactly what WG said happened. 

• Boring 1

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
14,910 battles
11 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Yeah.

And to try to leverage people into doing it on PTS, it appears they walled the Italian cruisers behind it on the server.

sad reactions only

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,206 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Some of these changes will likely have DDs will come out losing.  The new priority sector with with a ramp up and them only a short 5 second full buff period will hurt DDs.  DDs have their AA turned off until they get spotted at ~2.5-3km. 

Gosh, it's almost like your choices are remain undetected or engage aircraft.  Such is basic DD life.  Do you remain concealed or open fire....be it ship or aircraft?

[CAST]
Members
4,990 posts
3,513 battles

Is the autopilot actually working now on the PTS? The current and 'improved' autopilot on the live servers is trash. Ship doesn't turn when it's supposed to, nor stop when it's supposed to. I really enjoyed telling my carrier to go behind an island, but it decided instead to sail my ship straight at the enemy.

So far, what I've seen of the AA changes on PTS vids looks really promising. I especially like the fact that flak now has a minimum range and stops throwing up puffs when planes are close. Trying to land dive bombs on a maneuvering targets while ALSO dodging flak is a bit ... challenging.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,068 posts
14,307 battles
16 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I understand them wanting to test the mechanism, but they should have pulled the research price down much further. I couldn't get a win at T10 for love or money, even in co-op.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I understand them wanting to test the mechanism, but they should have pulled the research price down much further. I couldn't get a win at T10 for love or money, even in co-op.

If they wanted both Italian cruisers and the NTC/RB mechanism tested, they shouldn't have locked one behind the other.  IMO.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,727 posts
6,987 battles
15 hours ago, iDuckman said:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,068 posts
14,307 battles
11 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If they wanted both Italian cruisers and the NTC/RB mechanism tested, they shouldn't have locked one behind the other.  IMO.

Yeah, sort of. I can see WHY they did it for sure, but what else could you possibly have locked behind there to make it worthwhile to test the mechanism? Apart from Shinonome, which they did.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts
12 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, sort of. I can see WHY they did it for sure, but what else could you possibly have locked behind there to make it worthwhile to test the mechanism? Apart from Shinonome, which they did.

"Complete an NTC/RB run-through, and get a free day of premium on live server".

"Complete an NTC/RB run-through, and get X doubloons on the live server".

Something like that.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,068 posts
14,307 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

"Complete an NTC/RB run-through, and get a free day of premium on live server".

"Complete an NTC/RB run-through, and get X doubloons on the live server".

Something like that.

Not inclined to disagree.

Sign in to follow this