Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KilljoyCutter

Which Ship Next? Expanding the Fleet

83 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,703 posts

So... I could add any one (or two) of the following ships to my fleet:

• Montana
  • Benson
  • Amagi
  • Zao
  • Moskva
  • Z-23
  • Lightning

Any thoughts? 

[PTRGT]
Members
393 posts
45,903 battles

Montana is almost the King of BB's  Benson is ok but Fletcher is better Those are the one 2 on the list I have / had

As far for the other The Amagi is a bit annoying to kill and the Zao is extra annoying for its ability to fire torps at you that suddenly appear even if you change your direction 2 or 3 times

[POP]
Members
1,573 posts
22,537 battles

All are good. Benson Amagi and Ligtining were the three I think I personally enjoyed the most out of those in a PvP setting.

Edited by Alabamastan

[KWF]
Members
4,362 posts
6,405 battles

Unless you are looking for a second tier X for the Research Bureau bonus, Lightning is the answer. 

Tier 8.5 this one, not 8.

[PVE]
Members
11,783 posts
24,411 battles
53 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

• Montana
  • Benson
  • Amagi
  • Zao
  • Moskva
  • Z-23
  • Lightning

Any thoughts? 

Montana for sure. Probably best T10 BB and one of best in game.

The rest is a crap shoot. Depends on what you like?

• Moskva is good but NOTHING like the rest of the RU Cruiser line. More BB/Super Cruiser like. It retains the RU CL very weak sides but it can bow tank like a champ. The guns are awesome, it's fast, and it has really good AA. Horrible detection though.
  • Benson is a decent DD but not great IMO (slow torp reload for one). However, it leads to Fletcher and Gearing which are some of the best DD's in game. 
  • Lightning - see Benson but insert Jutland and Daring. It's good but not great (IMO).
  • Zao for me was overrated and over hyped on the forums. I don't get the love for it? 
  • Z-23 is meh
  • Amagi, like Zao, is vastly overrated and over hyped on these forums IMO. I found it mediocre at best. Very unreliable guns but at least it is tough.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

• Montana
  • Benson
  • Amagi
  • Zao
  • Moskva
  • Z-23
  • Lightning

Any thoughts? 

BBs & DDs are the better, safer bets in PVE.

Montana's fantastic in BB Land.  If you get her Legendary, she can tank Fire / Flood effects even better.

Amagi however does lead to Yamato eventually, but she is still solid in her own right.  IMO, Amagi is "THE" IJN Battleship with a very well rounded set of qualities.  Speed, maneuverability, gunnery, volume of fire, protection all hit a just right note where previous and later IJN BBs start detracting from various qualities.  Speaking of Legendaries, Yamato's Legendary goes in Slot 6 and one of the funny effects is that it buffs Main Battery Dispersion.  For PVE, you can go Secondary Build Yamato with SBM1 in Slot 3, but your Legendary in Slot 6 still lets you buff your Main Battery Dispersion.  Just like a Tier IX-X USN BB.  Personally, there is no need for ASM1+Legendary Yamato in PVE because you're not sniping most of the time.  Not to mention the Secondary skills also have the side effect of buffing her AA.

Benson & Lighting are solid Tier VIII DDs and both lead to worthwhile DDs later in the tiers.  Can't go wrong with them.

However, I've been pretty disappointed with German DDs in PVE.  Currently in Z-46 in Tier IX and I can get myself to barely play her and try to finish getting Z-52.  The torps have very low alpha damage and the smoke really sucks.  RN DD smoke is very short in active time but they're available again so soon that it still works out for them.  Once the shooting starts, US DDs can almost stay in smoke the rest of the game on their first smoke use :Smile_trollface:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
2 hours ago, DeathsStalker said:

Montana is almost the King of BB's  Benson is ok but Fletcher is better Those are the one 2 on the list I have / had

As far for the other The Amagi is a bit annoying to kill and the Zao is extra annoying for its ability to fire torps at you that suddenly appear even if you change your direction 2 or 3 times

I always hear people saying this, yet Montana has been a bottom feeder for a long time now. Power creep has left it sadly lacking.

image.thumb.png.c246d5c9acd082bb5240a9239046950e.png

• Boring 1

[USCC]
Members
3,000 posts
13,776 battles

Out of the ones you've listed, I'd go with lightning, RN smoke as stated above is very short, but also reloads quick, and in PVE, that's perfect. 

You know the routine, you pop smoke take out the other dd in cap, then finish the cap and hit the go button and rinse and repeat.
And it'll take you to Daring, and that little boat is glorious!

Benson is also very strong, and honestly a better choice over Lightning ship vs ship, but at the end of that line isn't Daring.
And IMO Daring > Gearing. YMMV

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles
1 hour ago, SpudZero said:

Out of the ones you've listed, I'd go with lightning, RN smoke as stated above is very short, but also reloads quick, and in PVE, that's perfect. 

You know the routine, you pop smoke take out the other dd in cap, then finish the cap and hit the go button and rinse and repeat.
And it'll take you to Daring, and that little boat is glorious!

Benson is also very strong, and honestly a better choice over Lightning ship vs ship, but at the end of that line isn't Daring.
And IMO Daring > Gearing. YMMV

The Tier IX-X US DDs have one ace that the RN DDs lack in these tiers.

Superior Torpedoes, namely Fletcher Torps are better for PVE than RN DD torpedoes.  Gearing has the option of using Fletcher torps, or you can just keep on playing Fletcher herself and retain Tier IX DD agility that the X DDs lack :Smile_trollface:

Fletcher Torps 2x5

19k damage

106 seconds reload

Speed 66kts

10.5km range, but long torpedo range is mostly irrelevant in Co-op since we drop these things in short range.

Daring Torps 2x5

16.7k damage

120 seconds reload

Speed 62kts

9.9km range

Fletcher's torpedoes are IMO, some of the best, if not the best, all around torpedoes in the game.  For the purpose of Co-op, the reload speed and high torpedo damage of Fletcher torps are an awesome combination.  It gets sillier if you go TAE trait + TTM3 upgrade.  And in Co-op, torpedoes are the bread and butter for almost all the DDs.  You'll also have the fantastic USN DD smoke that just lasts forever.

• Cool 1

[USCC]
Members
3,000 posts
13,776 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

And in Co-op, torpedoes are the bread and butter for almost all the DDs.  You'll also have the fantastic USN DD smoke that just lasts forever.

You're right, the USN smokes last a long time, and it's a long time till the next one, and PVE is fast paced hit and run dd attacks and keep moving.
More often than I care to recall, I really needed that next smoke NOW, and in a Gearing or a Fletcher, you'll find yourself out of luck, and heading to the bottom.

19K or 16,7K not a ship in game can survive a full spread from either ship.

I like Daring guns more than Gearing too, higher fire chance and faster reload.

Side note.

I prefer Fletcher over Gearing, I just get more out of Fletcher than a do with Gearing.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,703 posts

I went ahead and got the Montana... can still afford one of the DDs if I feel like it tomorrow. 

First battle:

shot-19_08.04_23_21.49-0157.thumb.jpg.e5b06cadd7bb4add0e3d277cbbe4eeeb.jpg

Spoiler

shot-19_08.04_23_21.52-0959.thumb.jpg.6d40e14a71007aad4d381b450b697b27.jpg

shot-19_08.04_23_21.56-0842.thumb.jpg.c3d3007c91ffbd7594ff7ba2f6030c7a.jpg

shot-19_08.04_23_22.00-0428.thumb.jpg.656d204e302db8b6dcbd7735dc2d902a.jpg

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The Tier IX-X US DDs have one ace that the RN DDs lack in these tiers.

Superior Torpedoes, namely Fletcher Torps are better for PVE than RN DD torpedoes.  Gearing has the option of using Fletcher torps, or you can just keep on playing Fletcher herself and retain Tier IX DD agility that the X DDs lack :Smile_trollface:

Fletcher Torps 2x5

19k damage

106 seconds reload

Speed 66kts

10.5km range, but long torpedo range is mostly irrelevant in Co-op since we drop these things in short range.

Daring Torps 2x5

16.7k damage

120 seconds reload

Speed 62kts

9.9km range

Fletcher's torpedoes are IMO, some of the best, if not the best, all around torpedoes in the game.  For the purpose of Co-op, the reload speed and high torpedo damage of Fletcher torps are an awesome combination.  It gets sillier if you go TAE trait + TTM3 upgrade.  And in Co-op, torpedoes are the bread and butter for almost all the DDs.  You'll also have the fantastic USN DD smoke that just lasts forever.

Daring does have greater flexibility in using single launching torps in co op.

Often times I find launching all 5 torps from one of the Fletcher's torp launchers overkill for certain targets and even more so when using the 2nd set right after to finish off a 10k health BB that was able to live through your 1st set and then see that you have another BB coming in 10km away. I do prefer the RN DD's single launching torps if I only need a certain amount of torps to kill a ship and then be able to use the rest on nearby ships which happens fairly often in co op games when you're sitting in smoke and see all the bots converge towards you.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
16 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Any thoughts? 

For PvE, I would be tempted to go with the destroyers first - I like the Lightning in co-op more than I do the Benson, but that's a matter of taste more than anything else.

Remember that T10 silver economy in co-op is horrific, and you might want to consider a T8 ship before a T10 for that reason (unless permacamo is part of the equation).

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,703 posts
58 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

For PvE, I would be tempted to go with the destroyers first - I like the Lightning in co-op more than I do the Benson, but that's a matter of taste more than anything else.

Remember that T10 silver economy in co-op is horrific, and you might want to consider a T8 ship before a T10 for that reason (unless permacamo is part of the equation).

I'm not in an inherent rush to advance any lines, but there's this thing with tokens going on right now, and I figure I might as well get a couple ships to round out to an even multiple of 100 so I can get more of the bundles. 

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles
15 hours ago, SpudZero said:

You're right, the USN smokes last a long time, and it's a long time till the next one, and PVE is fast paced hit and run dd attacks and keep moving.
More often than I care to recall, I really needed that next smoke NOW, and in a Gearing or a Fletcher, you'll find yourself out of luck, and heading to the bottom.

19K or 16,7K not a ship in game can survive a full spread from either ship.

I like Daring guns more than Gearing too, higher fire chance and faster reload.

Side note.

I prefer Fletcher over Gearing, I just get more out of Fletcher than a do with Gearing.

The games are typically over with 1 maybe 2 torpedo runs max.  Any more than that, it's an abnormally long game and highly unusual.

Gearing & Fletcher aren't heading to the bottom because the high torpedo alpha means those torpedo runs are successful and the target, even a Tier X BB, is going down.  I lost count how many times I watched DDs with weaker torpedoes put their ENTIRE DROP with 100% hits, and the BB is ***STILL*** there, deleting the DD afterwards.

Meanwhile, DDs with more powerful torpedoes put those higher TDS ships under the waves.

You aren't eating gunfire when your torpedoes have sunk the targets!

Image result for smart black man meme

Guns are nice, but largely irrelevant, because torpedoes are what do the vast majority of your Destroyer's damage in Co-op.  Khab, Grozovoi, Mogodor, Fletcher, Daring, Gearing.  Whatever.  Take your favorite DD Guns... It's irrelevant.  Unless you're Harugumo, torpedoes will do far, far more damage.  It's at a point for me that Shimakaze's guns are just as good as any other DD's guns.  Because it all doesn't matter when the torpedoes start slamming in.  Really, all I need the guns for are at the very start of the match to kill the opposing DD(s) so that it hopefully clears the way for the torpedo run I want.  Even in such cases, the 127mm IJN DD guns that so many around here like to bad mouth, are just as good in that job as the other DD guns.

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,703 posts

I think it varies between players  a bit... I've had HUGE damage games in DDs without managing to get a torpedo to land (thank you, magical AI torp beats), and some games where I've killed all 3 or 4 enemy DDs without ever firing a torp at them. 

[WOLFH]
Members
335 posts
19,145 battles

WG's birthday is about a week away and in the past they have given out 1 Super Container for each Tier 10 ship you have in port.

So, if you want a SC, get a T10 ship :)

*disclaimer*

you will get 100 ramming flags from a SC :Smile-_tongue:

[CO-OP]
Members
1,467 posts
24,638 battles

If you're in COOP then take the DDs, especially Benson.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,703 posts
16 hours ago, Grantwhy said:

WG's birthday is about a week away and in the past they have given out 1 Super Container for each Tier 10 ship you have in port.

So, if you want a SC, get a T10 ship :)

*disclaimer*

you will get 100 ramming flags from a SC :Smile-_tongue:

Good point...

And yeah, I've actually received that container before.  Literally.

I sold all the ramming flags for credits.

Beta Testers
1,280 posts
2,433 battles
On 8/4/2019 at 12:46 PM, KilljoyCutter said:

• Montana
  • Benson
  • Amagi
  • Zao
  • Moskva
  • Z-23
  • Lightning

Any thoughts? 

avoid Zao at all costs. Three minutes to load torps, thirty seconds to rotate the guns 90* and one of the slowest reload times of any ship in the game. And it can be one shotted by yamato, musashi and georgia from full health. Go for Montana..

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
On 8/6/2019 at 8:09 AM, Grantwhy said:

you will get 100 ramming flags from a SC

I got 50 Halloween camos in one last night. Not the most overwhelmingly fantastic supercontainer to get, but I was almost out of them and 100% bonus ship XP isn't exactly useless.

Still no ship from a supercontainer, ever. I'm not complaining - I've picked up enough bonus ships as free unlocks, gifts, event prizes and stream wins that I'd be selfish to actually be whiny about it - just laughing at RNGesus and what he does to me with these things. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLFH]
Members
335 posts
19,145 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Still no ship from a supercontainer, ever. I'm not complaining

Once upon a time I used to play on EU, ASIA & NA and between the 3 accounts it took me over 100 Super Containers to get a premium ship.

No, it wasn't the Krasny Krym ... that turned up about 15 Super Containers later :Smile-_tongue:

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
1 minute ago, Grantwhy said:

No, it wasn't the Krasny Krym ... that turned up about 15 Super Containers later

I bought her in the recent sale. I wanted to see what the fuss was all about, and half-price seemed a decent enough reduction to risk the cash. In addition I've locked her out of supercontainer and Santa Crate contention forever, so that's good.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I got 50 Halloween camos in one last night

got 50 Valentine camo's in one while back

Sign in to follow this