Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

What in the WORLD does it take to get spotting damage in this game???

18 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,473 posts

An act of freaking Congress?   All weekend I've done everything possible to get this %$#^ing mission done, and nothing.   T7 and up ships.  Moving up, so I can spot things; making sure others are nearby so they can shoot at the things I spot.  etc.   Yet time and again, the match ends and no spotting damage given.

Ridiculous...  I ground out all 3 surface ship missions, the mission for the T5 frenchie DD; gotten all 3 containers every day, etc.   STILL stuck on this one mission in order to progress to the next directive.

[INTEL]
Members
1,774 posts
15,696 battles

Stop trying. Every time I try to do a spotting mission it's like trying to get a date with a supermodel. When I stop trying it just happens. Chung Mu has my record with over 200k in a match. No idea when it happened.

Still haven't gotten a date with a supermodel though...

• Funny 1

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles

Simple. You pick a relatively fast DD with good smoke; USN ones are good at this. You go ahead of your team, then the moment you have spotted a sufficient number of ships you lay a smoke "curtain" in front of most of the ships on that flank. With a bit of luck you should have "blinded" most of your team with you being the only source of spotting damage. Staying ahead of your smoke will continue to give you spotting damage, whereas they will have to rely on you.

Basically help your team by blinding it.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 5

Members
5,263 posts
9,960 battles

I have played a few games today and pulled up a random Bismark game I played and I have 31K damage upon my spotting...  My guess you are not getting close enough to the battle or you are out of place   Like others - I don't try and actively spot as it always seem to go to hell.   I just play the game and I think it is rare I have no damage on my spotting - even driving BBs.

[SALVO]
Members
24,805 posts
25,886 battles
1 hour ago, Fletcher7_1944 said:

An act of freaking Congress?   All weekend I've done everything possible to get this %$#^ing mission done, and nothing.   T7 and up ships.  Moving up, so I can spot things; making sure others are nearby so they can shoot at the things I spot.  etc.   Yet time and again, the match ends and no spotting damage given.

Ridiculous...  I ground out all 3 surface ship missions, the mission for the T5 frenchie DD; gotten all 3 containers every day, etc.   STILL stuck on this one mission in order to progress to the next directive.

The reality is that all you can do is be in a position to keep the enemy's ships spotted for your team and HOPE that your team mates are hitting them for damage.  You can't make it happen.  You can only hope that it will.

For what it's worth, getting spotting damage seems easier in a CV than a DD because in a CV you can be spotting stuff that's well out of any teammate's spotting range or spot stuff that couldn't be spotted except by a plane or a friendly ship in the enemy's backfield.  But in the end you're still hoping for your team to hit what you spot.

[CK5]
Members
1,373 posts
14,328 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Simple. You pick a relatively fast DD with good smoke; USN ones are good at this. You go ahead of your team, then the moment you have spotted a sufficient number of ships you lay a smoke "curtain" in front of most of the ships on that flank. With a bit of luck you should have "blinded" most of your team with you being the only source of spotting damage. Staying ahead of your smoke will continue to give you spotting damage, whereas they will have to rely on you.

I have thought about that, but just can't bring myself to handicap the rest of my team for some directive goals.  I do agree that getting spotting damage can be incredibly difficult sometimes because the window is really pretty small:  spot enemy ships while the rest of your team is blind.  

• Confused 1

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles
4 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I have thought about that, but just can't bring myself to handicap the rest of my team for some directive goals.  I do agree that getting spotting damage can be incredibly difficult sometimes because the window is really pretty small:  spot enemy ships while the rest of your team is blind.  

You aren't handicapping your team really. You provide them with some smoke cover to get into position and you get the spotting damage out of it. Provided you do this tactic correctly you can help quite a bit.

Besides afterwards as teams spread it's not as effective so you can play normally.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,782 posts
4,631 battles
  • Spotting - detecting a ship that is then damaged by your allies (that could not otherwise see the target) gives the following:
    • BB receives approximately 10% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
    • CV receives approximately 20% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
    • CR receives approximately 30% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
    • DD receives approximately 40% of the reward for full HP damage to the spotted ship.
  • The spotter must be detecting the target at the moment the shells hit.
  • The reward is divided by the number of spotters.
  • Damage-over-time (fire, flood) is not rewarded.

[KRAK]
Members
3,714 posts
21,728 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

If your teammates shoot at what you spotted. That right there is a big if.

[EQRN]
Members
2,030 posts
17,470 battles

I’ve gotten spotting ribbons with no spotting damage and spotting damage with no spotting ribbons.  The system should be straightforward, but intuitive mechanics are apparently verboten :fish_haloween:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,735 posts

Perth -- if a tier VI can complete the mission you have in mind. 

Get in range of where your spotter can see the enemy ships, smoke up, and let your spotter (and maybe sonar depending) spot the enemy ships for your entire team while you remain hidden in smoke.

[GWG]
Members
6,958 posts
13,501 battles

Use a DD...   Get in close - but outside detection range...  Disable your LMB fire button on your mouse in ship controls.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
3 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

^^ Big point here by warheart.

USN smoke does a lot more good for your teammates than for yourself.  If you pop smoke in a USN DD, lay a nice long layer but stay out of it so that you can continue spotting for your team.  <<This is very important.

One of the biggest mistakes routinely made by USN DD players in particular is that they pop smoke then just blindly sit still in it.  This while waiting for something to come past (usually an unwelcome spread of red torpedoes or half the opposing team bearing down on them) while the rest of their teammates behind them can't see squat.  Incredibly annoying and stupid.

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles
16 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Got that 200K spotting damage mission for Tier 7 and up.

Only T7 I have is the Yorck. 

You're not likely to get spotting damage on a T7 cruiser since you'll have DDs on your team that are pushing ahead of you. At least I hope, lol.

Best you can do is try and flank so you get eyes on enemy ships camping behind islands that only you can see.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,599 posts
8,582 battles
1 minute ago, KaptainKaybe said:

You're not likely to get spotting damage on a T7 cruiser since you'll have DDs on your team that are pushing ahead of you. At least I hope, lol.

Best you can do is try and flank so you get eyes on enemy ships camping behind islands that only you can see.

I may have to go full yolo.

It ranges from 0-15K per game.

I'll get there.

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles
18 hours ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I’ve gotten spotting ribbons with no spotting damage and spotting damage with no spotting ribbons.  The system should be straightforward, but intuitive mechanics are apparently verboten :fish_haloween:

Spotting ribbons and spotting damage are unrelated.

Spotting ribbons are awarded for being the first to spot an enemy ship.  You also get one if you re-spot a ship that hasn't been detected for a considerable time - not sure how long exactly.  It doesn't matter if anyone shoots at it or not.

Spotting damage is done by your teammates to ships you are spotting for them.  One of the keys is that you have to be able to see them and they cannot.  That's what causes problems most of the time.

Picture the following: you are in a destroyer, leading your battleship teammate.  You come within 12 km of a cruiser and detect it.  Your battleship friend is still 15 km from the cruiser so he can't see it himself.  He fires and does damage.  You are rewarded spotting damage.

But now, the enemy cruiser player says "I am spotted by a DD, I might as well be shooting."  He now starts shooting at your battleship.  The resulting gun bloom means that now your battleship could see the cruiser even without your help.  You are no longer rewarded spotting damage.

Hence the reason it is suggested to "blind" your teammates if you need spotting damage. 

Sign in to follow this