You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RumpledSteelskins

Am I the only one who likes the Research Bureau idea?

65 comments in this topic

Members
563 posts
15,981 battles

Seems the Research Bureau (NTC 2.0) is pretty unpopular and I guess I can see why, but I’m a bit different in my thinking.  I also seem to be one of the slim minority when it comes to getting early access to new ship lines, in that I HATE getting them.  I always prefer to play a new line from the beginning and work through it.  

Being in a position of having all lines researched to tier 10 except Russian BBs which is almost done (i’m on Sovetsky Soyuz with about 150k xp), I look at RB as something to DO.  Grinding though the various ship lines is fun for me.  Doing them over again doesn’t faze me one bit.  I’m actually looking forward to it.

I don’t even have a crapload or free xp and credits lying around....after buying Alaska I am just barely back to 100k free xp.  And I recently re-bought a bunch of tech tree ships that I have free perma camos for, so my credits are less than 50 million.  And STILL, I’m looking forward to this.   Is anyone else thinking like me?  Or am I a nut job just waiting for the white lab coats to put me in a padded room?

• Cool 3
  • Confused 4
  • Boring 3

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,776 battles

I dont mind it either. I have all the tier 10s and there just doesnt feel like there is much to do otherwise other than long grinds for small rewards like Benham. Plus, I've ground them all out before and that was without all the legendary flags and crazy bonus camos. It really doesnt seem like a big deal to me.

[RLGN]
Members
14,313 posts
25,256 battles
7 minutes ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

Is anyone else thinking like me?  Or am I a nut job just waiting for the white lab coats to put me in a padded room?

I can see the logic cited in those that support it it OP, but there’s just nothing in it for me personally. (Despite the amount of credits and xp I have available.)

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,266 posts
18,658 battles

To answer the Post's Question:  YES.......oh GoD, YES.....   !!

Why, for the love of the Schwartz, would we want anything that makes us "re-do" all that we have accomplished just to "juice" what we already have earned???   What would stop our host from doing this very thing: over and over and over again???

Oy Vey.............

• Cool 5

Members
671 posts
2,685 battles

If I had a bunch of t10s I wouldn't mind doing it, but I will probably never use reset just for how many lines I still want to grind out.

[BNKR]
Members
1,624 posts
2,516 battles
1 minute ago, Asym_KS said:

To answer the Post's Question:  YES.......oh GoD, YES.....   !!

Why, for the love of the Schwartz, would we want anything that makes us "re-do" all that we have accomplished just to "juice" what we already have earned???   What would stop our host from doing this very thing: over and over and over again???

Oy Vey.............

You know you don't have to do it, right? It's not compulsory. Just keep what you have, exactly like it is.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

The catch is, you guys are the intended audience.  The system makes sense to you because of that.  You have nothing else to do so why not.

The people who the system is not designed for, people with a couple lines done or who hate grinding lines, or people who dont want things like Colbert and Ohio locked behind something that takes a lot of grinding...will hate it.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
4,266 posts
18,658 battles
2 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

You know you don't have to do it, right? It's not compulsory. Just keep what you have, exactly like it is.

Uh Huh, and everyone else in your class in now OP and you are left 20 percent less effective......  or worse.  Another B2P gimmick.....in this case, you are compelled to spend your time to have what you were suppose to have once you mastered the ship...... 

Ignore this: I'm behind an email or two on the RB... Apologies.

Edited by Asym_KS
  • Confused 4

Members
563 posts
15,981 battles
11 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Oy Vey.............

As I said, I can see why a lot of people aren’t interested.  For me, though, I enjoy grinding ship lines.  I’d do it even without the rewards.  Call me crazy.....

[BNKR]
Members
1,624 posts
2,516 battles
7 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Uh Huh, and everyone else in your class in now OP and you are left 20 percent less effective......  or worse.  Another B2P gimmick.....in this case, you are compelled to spend your time to have what you were suppose to have once you mastered the ship...... 

What?

Members
563 posts
15,981 battles
13 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

You do realize it’s not the same as when first announced right?  They’re not doing the ship upgrades.  Regrinding a line won’t change the ships at all when you reach them.  Its just for “research points” that can be used to purchase special premium ships and whatnot....no upgrades for ships to make them more powerful.  I wasn’t in favor of that setup at all for the very reason you bring up....it would basically force everyone to regrind.  The way this is set up, regrinding is totally optional

Edited by RumpledSteelskins

[SALVO]
Members
24,830 posts
25,917 battles

I think that it absolutely stinks.

I have ALL of the tier 10 tech tree ships, and while I don't mind grinding new tech tree lines, I absolutely HATE this idea!!!

• Cool 3

0 posts
43 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

The catch is, you guys are the intended audience.  The system makes sense to you because of that.  You have nothing else to do so why not.

nothing else to do? 

Brand new French dd line, Italian cruisers in a couple of months, WG never stops releasing tech trees. For those that like the tech tree grind, there is and will be, no shortage, for the forseeable future.

But the reset/regrind is not for those who have unlocked all tier 10s by playing each and every tech tree ship, anyway. it is for those who are impatient enough to splash out on doublons, and free xp conversion. It is a cash grab (hence the regrind phases being limited to 3 months at a time, to "persuade" players to open their wallets to help their grind along)

• Cool 1

[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,878 posts
4,881 battles

You not the only one. If give people the option to regrind tech trees if they choose too, more power to the player. I can see myself using it in the future if I'm that bored enough

Members
563 posts
15,981 battles
15 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

nothing else to do? 

Brand new French dd line, Italian cruisers in a couple of months, WG never stops releasing tech trees. For those that like the tech tree grind, there is and will be, no shortage, for the forseeable future.

I can grind more than 1 line at a time though.  I’m almost finished with Russian BBs (started from tier 3) when we’re on the verge of French DDs.  I have no reason to assume I wont be almost done grinding those when the Italian cruisers release (finally!!!).   And almost done with those when whatever is next comes along (hopefully not submarines!!).   Again....I’m not everybody....some people don’t do things the way I do.  For example,  I find it hard to play a ship after its first win bonus is done.  I will play something else that hasn’t won a game yet that day instead of the same ship game after game.  

Edited by RumpledSteelskins

Members
1,295 posts
7,142 battles

So long as the ships aren't grossly OP there's really nothing wrong with the concept. This is hardly the first time WG has locked premium ships behind a grind wall that can be bypassed or sped up by spending money (or in this case not even money if you already have enough FXP saved up.)

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,776 battles
34 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

nothing else to do? 

But the reset/regrind is not for those who have unlocked all tier 10s by playing each and every tech tree ship, anyway. it is for those who are impatient enough to splash out on doublons, and free xp conversion. It is a cash grab (hence the regrind phases being limited to 3 months at a time, to "persuade" players to open their wallets to help their grind along)

One French line of destroyers isnt that much to do. They give out those mosiac camos and leviathan flags on top of other decent camos that all boost experience. Plus they occasionally throughout those 200% or even 100% Forst win bonuses for certain events or weekends/holidays. I think the better you are at the game the easier it is too. If you're running a high win rate with good P/R you're going to be pulling in the experience. Throw a cherry on top by introducing these early access tech tree missions from loot boxes and you're really not looking at all that much work.

Sure, I'm sure they want to make money off of this just like everything else. However, there just really isnt anything to do once you've maxed put thole tech tree lines. You can only bow tank in a BB or island camp so much on the same maps so many times before you begin to loose interest. 

0 posts
5 minutes ago, Skuggsja said:

Sure, I'm sure they want to make money off of this just like everything else. However, there just really isnt anything to do once you've maxed put thole tech tree lines. You can only bow tank in a BB or island camp so much on the same maps so many times before you begin to loose interest. 

but surely, if you are bored playing botes, playing the same botes (NTC tech tree reset) is going to be just as boring, if not worse, forced to play botes that you don't enjoy?

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,776 battles
8 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

but surely, if you are bored playing botes, playing the same botes (NTC tech tree reset) is going to be just as boring, if not worse, forced to play botes that you don't enjoy?

I guess it's sort if different, in my opinion, because there is a goal with something to gain by doing it. Right now I play notes just to participate in clan battles, ranked, earn coal/containers, and that's about it. I dont often drop down tiers because you end up up tiered so very often that it's not fun. Like a Mogami with 15km range facing a Yamato with 26km range over and over but for no reason other than to play the Mogami. Facing that Yamato in a Mogami because it leads to rewards it's a bit of a different story though. It may be somewhat painful but you're striving for something. Of course this is just my though process though but that's why NTC works for me. 

I get that's it's not for everyone but its completely optional unless youre dying for Ohio or Colbert.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles

I like the idea even as I realise that I will almost certainly never make use of it.

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,806 battles

Eh, I don't know how to feel about this.  I kept all the lower tier ships I liked along the way to Zao, Minotaur, Des Moines, Worcester, Z-52, Shima, Gearing, and Republique.  But that means Omaha, Helena, Kuma, V-170, Normandie, Lyon, and Alsace.  At least those are the ones I play for fun.  I've kept a few others for when I need a specific tier for a mission or less-than-tier -X clan or ranked battle.  So mostly one or two from each line.  I lost interest in KM CAs at Yorck, but I kept Nurnberg.  I've only worked up to Bismarck so far on KM BBs, but I kept most of them along the way.  Unlike other lines, there were none in there I absolutely hated.  I even still play my Nassau occasionally, because the gun arrangement is fun.  So if I have to re-grind a line, it would probably be KM BBs, since it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice.  I do enjoy the Georgia, so I'm thinking Ohio might be fun.  Slower (especially when you factor in Georgia's speed boost), but with Montana armor and HP instead of Iowa armor and HP, and 33% more main guns.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

You do realize it’s not the same as when first announced right?  They’re not doing the ship upgrades.  Regrinding a line won’t change the ships at all when you reach them.  Its just for “research points” that can be used to purchase special premium ships and whatnot....no upgrades for ships to make them more powerful.  I wasn’t in favor of that setup at all for the very reason you bring up....it would basically force everyone to regrind.  The way this is set up, regrinding is totally optional

They just moved the overpowered upgrades from the line ships into the new premiums. It's still a Pay-To-Win scheme designed to fleece whales and the ignorant. The premium ships are disgusting in how strong they are.

The fact that you want it "just to re grind the lines" is not what WG is implementing it for. They're counting on people paying to convert FXP to get the premiums right away.

It's a transparent cash grab from a company getting increasingly more desperate to maintain their profit margin in the face of dwindling player numbers and fewer players paying for "standard" premium content.

• Cool 3
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,542 battles

OP, I don't think you're the only one but I do think you are in the minority. 

I would say I am the target player for this abomination as I have every current tech tree line done. All of them.

Let me be clear about the RB, there is no way in hell I am regrinding 1 line of the 20+ let alone multiple. Not happening and I can't imagine anyone wanting to either;  but to each their own.

What I dislike IMMENSELY about the RB though is they are gating ships behind it to bribe players to do it. RB is a worse form of Steel. So just as I missed out on Bourgogne I will sadly miss out on Ohio now too which I really wanted. WG needs to stop gating ships like this.

As to the comments about nothing to work for and getting bored some have made = what? The game hasn't even come close to end game content. There are 2 new lines coming and more after that plus splits. And don't forget the never ending mission and event grinds. There is ALWAYS something to do without starting over on the stuff you already finished.

So the RB is a total non starter and a big fat NO from me. I worked hard to get all the T10 ships and I am NOT giving them.up and doing it again.  Only a sadist would do that.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3