Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
GrayPanther2018

Wide torpedo spread, does anyone use it?

16 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles

I  wonder if anyone uses the wide Torpedo spread when firing? I have yet to see where it is helpful unless very close but then hitting doesn't seem to be a big problem. 

I am not referring to the RN ships  with single fire and "wide spread" though I don't have experience with them. 

I think it might be helpful, for DDs anyway. If the wide spread was narrower and the narrow spread was even more so. It would make hitting oncoming ships easier and better spacing at long range. 

I know ships with multiple launchers can correct for this to some degree. 

Or is this a "balance" issue?

Don't worry I just kill bot BBs. 

Members
6,854 posts
15,276 battles

wide torpedo spread is very effective in a knife fight where you think the DD will make a turn fairly close to you. If they speed up or slow down, you have better chance of hitting if you time it for them to be broadside when the torps hit. The narrower spread is harder to dodge close in.

[RLGN]
Members
14,244 posts
25,057 battles

Will often overlap a narrow and wide spread to catch a speed-up or slow-down.

Also sometimes use it in area denial launches, depending of what kind terrain I’m launching into.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 5

[WOLFC]
Members
1,607 posts
9,428 battles

I sometimes use the wide spread from multiple launchers when saturating a smoke screen. Proper aiming and timing of the launches can create a dispersal pattern where you have a high likelihood of hitting a hidden ship with at least one torpedo.

• Cool 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

Fast ships like Henri, Russian DD's, Repub etc... I shoot a wide spread then a narrow one to fill the gaps. If they try to turn away the wide ones hit them, if they turn in the narrow ones hit them.

If I aimed them right anyways... :dance_turtle:

Edited by Stand_Alone97

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles

Oh yes !  In the IJN Cruisers, if you are running an "in and out" attack, the first salvo is wide to influence those enemy ships, to compel them to turn into the second set of torps that are narrow spread at a specific ship  !  Or, a double wide as an area denial  attempt.   You can't always figure out wide spread mechanics when 16 or more torps are all mixed up to begin with.

[PHD]
Members
1,505 posts
6,377 battles

Thanks, I may have to try it. But my Furutaka and Mutzuki don't have much to work with.  But the T61 and Aigle might be interesting. 

I don't like firing a lot of torps unless it's a target rich environment.  Yep, use torps like I pay for them sometimes. 

I wonder if torp spam is where WG is going with the Yuduchi, to make up for bad detection range they put in a torp reload booster. Seems the plan is "sure you can see them 2 km away but you can't dodge them all".

[CVLUL]
WoWS Community Contributors
3,407 posts
13,429 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

wide torpedo spread is very effective in a knife fight where you think the DD will make a turn fairly close to you. If they speed up or slow down, you have better chance of hitting if you time it for them to be broadside when the torps hit. The narrower spread is harder to dodge close in.

Just send one set for a slight turn out, the next for a crash stop turn.  The first one scares them into the second.  It takes some experience to know the turning limits of the ships, but narrow is the way I go.  Bonus points if you launch just as their gun reload is coming up, most will be in sniper mode and give you that extra second less reaction time.

ETA:  The reality is DDs go to torps too often knife fighting, it only works if you catch them sitting still or mostly bow into you.  Guns win far more of these fights.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
4,300 posts
4,564 battles

The faster they are the more valuable wide spread seems. Was really handy in torpedobeats and rogue wave. 

If you hate switching between modes, get Huang He! It only has a narrow setting. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[WOLFC]
Members
1,607 posts
9,428 battles
17 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I wonder if torp spam is where WG is going with the Yuduchi, to make up for bad detection range they put in a torp reload booster. Seems the plan is "sure you can see them 2 km away but you can't dodge them all".

High tier IJN destroyers, starting at tier VII (gunboat branch) and tier VIII (torpedo boat branch) have access to the torpedo reload booster. Shiratsuyu and the torpedo DDs have to give up the smoke generator, though.

[GWG]
Members
6,941 posts
13,486 battles

Wide spread is the best friend of the Myoko and above.  4 quick salvoes of torps - evenly staggered make a mess of torps through a channel nothing can avoid.

I usually get 1-2 blind hits.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
19,861 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

I  wonder if anyone uses the wide Torpedo spread when firing? I have yet to see where it is helpful unless very close but then hitting doesn't seem to be a big problem. 

I am not referring to the RN ships  with single fire and "wide spread" though I don't have experience with them. 

I think it might be helpful, for DDs anyway. If the wide spread was narrower and the narrow spread was even more so. It would make hitting oncoming ships easier and better spacing at long range. 

I know ships with multiple launchers can correct for this to some degree. 

Or is this a "balance" issue?

Don't worry I just kill bot BBs. 

I think as you get better, you realize wide spreads are easily evaded and have almost no chance of hitting past 6 km … 

Eventually, you'll end up using narrow spreads almost exclusively unless you're having trouble judging target speed 

Single fire is something I need to use more often and gives even better precision 

Edited by Commander_367
  • Confused 1

[-AGW-]
Members
977 posts
13,414 battles

Remember bots know you are aiming torpedos at them. Sometimes it's helpful to launch a spread after you used the torp aiming thing for an estimate, but switch off targeting quick. 

[O_O]
Members
6,425 posts
15,262 battles

If there is a target I really need at least one torp hit on, I will often overlap fans of wide spread launches.

If I need multiple hits, I use separated narrow spreads.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,019 posts
11,550 battles

Wide is usually when it needs to cover a wide area like a large smoke screen, or if  say I'm launching at a group of ships in an area. Narrow I use more often but thats because over range it spreads out more.

Members
9,159 posts
11,172 battles

Wide spreads do some things tight spreads just don't. For instance, wide spreads are excellent for catching the really fast movers, like other DDs, French cruisers and BBs with speed boost. They're also perfect for area denial and clearing out smoke. I use wide spreads a great deal, and get a good amount of my hits through using them. Wides also help you get hits when a target is changing its speed without changing its direction, simply due to the spread covering more area. I got a Kiev with a wide spread in CBs last night.

Sign in to follow this