You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Almedius

How do you Georgia?

26 comments in this topic

Members
80 posts
2,843 battles

I've been told to play it like the Mass, which is a ship I almost never have a bad game in anymore. The results have been nightmarish when I do. It feels much less durable, sluggish without boost up, and I overpen everything well before they get into secondary range. The only good games I had was with my Montana captain...playing it more like a standard USN BB... and shooting things from 16-20km. That isn't what I had in mind when I got it though. Whats the secrets to your success with it?

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,175 battles

That's a good question …..  I'm having the same problem as you I don't even take her out anymore . 

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,219 battles

You don’t play Georgia like Massachusetts. I made the same mistakes. Georgia is not a brawler, at least not until late game. Her guns are wonderfully accurate and pack one helluva punch, but there are only 6 rifles. 

Goal #1: delete cruisers at range. #2 use that speed to flank and set up crossfires. #3 punish all broadsides. In no particular order. 

Part of the issue is Tier 9 vs. Tier 8. When I was working up the German BB line, a full secondary build on Friedrich der Grosse just didn’t work for me. A slight shift toward tankiness and main gun accuracy worked better.  

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,310 posts
25,245 battles

How do I play it?

In Co-op because too many hyper-competitive try-hards in Randoms to make it worth playing it there.

I may rage when I don’t win, but am still too casual a player to enjoy Randoms like others seem to.

Build is full secondary/concealment.

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,659 battles
48 minutes ago, Almedius said:

I've been told to play it like the Mass, which is a ship I almost never have a bad game in anymore. The results have been nightmarish when I do. It feels much less durable, sluggish without boost up, and I overpen everything well before they get into secondary range. The only good games I had was with my Montana captain...playing it more like a standard USN BB... and shooting things from 16-20km. That isn't what I had in mind when I got it though. Whats the secrets to your success with it?

Georgia plays more like an Alsace than a Massachusetts.  Allow me to explain that a little further though.  :)

The Alsace in a full secondary configuration is still very viable across all three major sectors of combat, so it's a brawler you play like any other regular battleship until you find the opportunistic moment to pounce on a target you can use your secondaries on.  This is in stark contrast to, say, the Bismarck and FDG, which are very purpose-built for CQC, assaulting strong points, and putting pressure against DD's inside caps.  The Massachusetts is much more of a medium ranged brawler.  Her guns are generally pretty effective even out to max range, but her reduced accuracy and artificially limited main battery range effectively cap your long range contribution.  The Massachusetts is good to play in the medium range until, like the Alsace, you find the opportunity to pounce on a target.

The Georgia in this sense is much closer to that of the Alsace.  She has very hard hitting, high penetration, and incredibly accurate guns that are wonderfully effective out to their max range.  She's very good at playing like a standard battleship, and even better at pouncing on targets where her secondaries can contribute to their destruction.  She can even chase down some cruisers, which is a first for battleships.

In short, focus on her main battery performance.  The rest will organically work itself out.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,395 battles

Well I guess I am in the minority here, I play it like a Massachusetts with a speed boost.  I agree she has accurate guns but only having 6 shells means RNG can really screw you at times.  I typically avoid early game long range hail Mary's in favor of maintaining concealment and using speed to go wide, flank and create a crossfire.  Once in position she can be an absolute nightmare to deal with.  If you do start getting overrun you can turn and kite.  

• Cool 1

[KILL]
Members
948 posts
10,974 battles
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

You don’t play Georgia like Massachusetts. I made the same mistakes. Georgia is not a brawler, at least not until late game. Her guns are wonderfully accurate and pack one helluva punch, but there are only 6 rifles. 

Goal #1: delete cruisers at range. #2 use that speed to flank and set up crossfires. #3 punish all broadsides. In no particular order. 

Wait...   Isn't this the BB manifesto?

• Funny 1

Members
80 posts
2,843 battles

Thanks for the feedback. What I love about the Mass is using its conceal and island cover to really push up and bully caps like an over-sized DM at times.  Its a ton of fun and means wins. I thought I was going to get that in the Georgia, but I was horrified how fast that got me killed. I will try your suggestions, but that raises all kinds of questions about the value of points into man secs/using my Mass captain...if secondaries aren't a huge part of its game play consistently anyway. I found CE did help a lot to stay in the sweet spot. Survival skills from my Montana captain were a big help too. I don't really want another dedicated captain, but thats kind of what I'm looking at to get the most out of her. Thank you for the free respecs WG...I'm going to be using a lot of them.

[-TNT-]
Members
407 posts
15,497 battles

I love my Mass ,, but am VERY very disappointed in Georgia . My whole Clan hate it . We thought the 2.0 sigma might help ....But it doz hit .So mabey giving it the USN pen angle's . But still can't take dam . You can't brawl other BB's . So you have to tank at range with 6 guns ...and no pen angle's ..... Ya what a waste ..She could have been a great ship ... I'll just use the Mass , F the Georgia ....

Edited by War182
  • Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,793 posts
4,631 battles

How to Georgia?  First, mine some coal.

Edited by iDuckman

[-KIA-]
Members
5,187 posts
13,160 battles

I love my Mass ,, but am VERY very disappointed in Georgia . My whole Clan hate it . We thought the 2.0 sigma might help ....But it doz hit .So mabey giving it the USN pen angle's . But still can't take dam . You can't brawl other BB's . So you have to tank at range with 6 guns ...and no pen angle's ..... Ya what a waste ..She could have been a great ship ... I'll just use the Mass , F the Georgia ....

image.png.d1e315d8ddee893259da57be4faf03d3.png

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[--V--]
Members
1,419 posts
13,611 battles

Georgia is most certainly not a Mass.  My best games in Georgia involve PATIENCE.

1. Don't rush.  Wait.  Snipe, then move forward and make them pay. 

2. If outnumbered, RUN.  Broadsides too fragile to handle multiple attackers from different angles.

3. Use speed to your advantage.  As other ships push, be ready to jump in and surprise the enemy.

Yes, she has great secondaries, but she's not a brawler.  She's a highly accurate mid-long range sniper that no one better get near.

From the other side - I've brutalized Georgia's from my Mass because they pushed.   I'll tank and the Georgia's eventually turn broadside to get more guns on me.  Then its Cit City.

Edited by SeaborneSumo
  • Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
2,680 posts
13 hours ago, Almedius said:

Georgia is one tier higher, so she's squarely in and exposed to the more conservative and careful high tier meta. I play Geo as a big opportunist. She has the speed to respond to a lot of things like a DD would, just not the concealment or size. So you can flex from one flank to another if you have one under control and see the other needs help, just watch the path you take to do so, cause if you're caught out while moving you still have mostly Iowa armor. But Geo hits very hard. She overmatches all those cruisers but the russian T10s for a lot of their plating, and she has the accuracy to place shots right where it hurts most. Don't even go too far in, unless you see you have a fight you can dominate safely. Basically any local engagement that you overmatch heavily, Geo can take, as long as there's a way out once it's done. She has the speed to take those fights and the secondaries will give you additional damage when you get in close. Just be mindful of the bad TDS values if you're fighting someone with torpedoes.

Pretty much, the theme of Georgia is 'control the engagement'. You can take any fight you want, and you can decline any fight you don't want. As long as your team hasn't been pushed into the back of the map, you can always reposition and fight from a better place. You can even brawl. Just don't take a brawl if it's not in your favor and you can't control how it goes down. Intelligent engagements make and break this ship.

5 hours ago, War182 said:

I love my Mass ,, but am VERY very disappointed in Georgia . My whole Clan hate it . We thought the 2.0 sigma might help ....But it doz hit .So mabey giving it the USN pen angle's . But still can't take dam . You can't brawl other BB's . So you have to tank at range with 6 guns ...and no pen angle's ..... Ya what a waste ..She could have been a great ship ... I'll just use the Mass , F the Georgia ....

Then you and your clan are the issues, not the ship. I find she's very powerful. Geo needs neither USN CA AP angles, nor more sigma. She's disgustingly good as is. If you're trying to play her as either a 'brawl everything that comes at you without thinking' or 'tank bow in like it's an Iowa in 2015' then you definitely need the training wheels of MA when she clubs tier 6.

Edited by MnemonScarlet
  • Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
407 posts
15,497 battles
23 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Georgia is one tier higher, so she's squarely in and exposed to the more conservative and careful high tier meta. I play Geo as a big opportunist. She has the speed to respond to a lot of things like a DD would, just not the concealment or size. So you can flex from one flank to another if you have one under control and see the other needs help, just watch the path you take to do so, cause if you're caught out while moving you still have mostly Iowa armor. But Geo hits very hard. She overmatches all those cruisers but the russian T10s for a lot of their plating, and she has the accuracy to place shots right where it hurts most. Don't even go too far in, unless you see you have a fight you can dominate safely. Basically any local engagement that you overmatch heavily, Geo can take, as long as there's a way out once it's done. She has the speed to take those fights and the secondaries will give you additional damage when you get in close. Just be mindful of the bad TDS values if you're fighting someone with torpedoes.

Pretty much, the theme of Georgia is 'control the engagement'. You can take any fight you want, and you can decline any fight you don't want. As long as your team hasn't been pushed into the back of the map, you can always reposition and fight from a better place. You can even brawl. Just don't take a brawl if it's not in your favor and you can't control how it goes down. Intelligent engagements make and break this ship.

Then you and your clan are the issues, not the ship. I find she's very powerful. Geo needs neither USN CA AP angles, nor more sigma. She's disgustingly good as is. If you're trying to play her as either a 'brawl everything that comes at you without thinking' or 'tank bow in like it's an Iowa in 2015' then you definitely need the training wheels of MA when she clubs tier 6.

Wow ......... What a tool ... I'm not the only one hate's the Georgia . I gave truthful feedback to help work out problems we have with the boat . We have enough FANBOY's we don't need anymore brown noser's so next time constructive criticism ......

[-TNT-]
Members
407 posts
15,497 battles

I really wanted to love the Georgia . But i really don't , The more i play her the more i want to sell it . That's rough to want to sell a premium boat . I can't Brawl other BB's close cause they will pen you even past pen angle's . 2ndary are solid and your 457 do hit . But i get sad dam from them 1500 , 1500 ,,1500 ,,, get's old on broadsides . It should have USN pen angle's but dosn't . and should brawl but can't ...

[-KIA-]
Members
5,187 posts
13,160 battles
1 minute ago, War182 said:

I really wanted to love the Georgia . But i really don't , The more i play her the more i want to sell it . That's rough to want to sell a premium boat . I can't Brawl other BB's close cause they will pen you even past pen angle's . 2ndary are solid and your 457 do hit . But i get sad dam from them 1500 , 1500 ,,1500 ,,, get's old on broadsides . It should have USN pen angle's but dosn't . and should brawl but can't ...

Maybe you’re spoiled by Massachusetts and learn to actually play a ship that isn’t blatantly overpowered.  Maybe scarlet is right when he says you need training wheels.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-TNT-]
Members
407 posts
15,497 battles

12k battle's to your 9 k ... so who needs training wheels ?? Please next time constructive criticism ...... Mass is great ...Georgia is a waste of cool ....

• Boring 1

Members
3,585 posts
12,985 battles
3 minutes ago, War182 said:

12k battle's to your 9 k ... so who needs training wheels ?? Please next time constructive criticism ...... Mass is great ...Georgia is a waste of cool ....

Quality, not quantity. 

[-KIA-]
Members
5,187 posts
13,160 battles
Just now, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Quality, not quantity. 

Don’t bother, he can’t see what he refuses to acknowledge.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,680 posts
18 minutes ago, War182 said:

Wow ......... What a tool ... I'm not the only one hate's the Georgia . I gave truthful feedback to help work out problems we have with the boat . We have enough FANBOY's we don't need anymore brown noser's so next time constructive criticism ......

Your problems stem from you, not the ship. If it was as bad as you say, I wouldn't be able to do well in it either. Btw, I'm not a unicum or anything.

Neither am I 'brown nosing'. Go look in my post history, I thought the ship was overbuffed before they released it. I got one in the end because if this meme is going to be in matches with me, I might as well whack other people back with it.

Needless to say, Geo does not need further buffs. It's already really annoying to see these things when I try to play a cruiser, knowing they can overmatch so much plating with that accuracy. Get better instead.

4 minutes ago, War182 said:

And I have less than 5k random battles, still vastly outperform you in the ship. Lots of battles means nothing if you don't improve and instead blame other things than yourself for it. It is on you to get better with it, not on WG to continuously buff it until everyone else wants to quit to port rather than fight one.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Members
9 posts
2,839 battles
16 minutes ago, War182 said:

Cool.

[-TNT-]
Members
407 posts
15,497 battles

5k battles ..... So you should probably keep your mouth shut ?? Beside's blaming me and my clan for a subpar boat is weak .... 1

Members
9 posts
2,839 battles
1 minute ago, War182 said:

5k battles ..... So you should probably keep your mouth shut ?? Beside's blaming me and my clan for a subpar boat is weak .... 1

Your stats look like mine with 6x as many battles, which is pitiful, but you use your amount of games played to flex on others? All I have to say is that 9.7K or 5.7K mostly excellent matches are far superior to 12K mediocre ones.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,680 posts
18 minutes ago, War182 said:

I see people with 20k+ battles who are far worse than you. Number of battles doesn't impress me, and means nothing unless there's improvement. And that stems from recognizing what you're doing wrong and trying to correct it. Simple as that. The OP wanted advice on how to play Georgia, why don't you follow his lead and listen to some of that instead of asking for absurd buffs.