Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shannon_Lindsey

Do French Destroyers need IFHE?

15 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

787
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
919 posts
10,118 battles

Basically, the title says it all. The American, Russian, and German destroyers don't need it, but I am not sure about the French. I ask, because I am trying to decide if I should have it on my current best French DD captain. Please advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,695
[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,734 battles

I took it on Le Terrible because I felt I wasnt doing anything for damage. I also didn't spend anything on CE though because I feel like it a waste in open water gun boat destroyers so I sort of had 4 points to spare.

Edited by Skuggsja

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
553
[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,210 battles

You should be able to pen cruisers with it but not bb's. 139/6=23.167 and then with ifhe, 23.167+(23.167×.3)=30.12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,309
[SIM]
Members
4,918 posts
7,991 battles

It’s nice to have, but I don’t believe that it’s necessary for the 139mm guns. I’d prefer to save myself 4 skill points and leave my fire setting chance intact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles

It’s good to engage cruisers, although they seem to be giving the ap a slight buff that I think will significantly improve its performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[A-I-M]
Members
2,994 posts
21,990 battles

Im doing fine without it, but I use a fair amount of AP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
649
[NUWES]
Members
3,125 posts
10,659 battles

I was wondering the same. I haven't used it on Le Terrible or any of the other French DDs and I haven't had a problem doing damage. The AP works very well and the HE did well enough. Also I am getting a good bit of damage from the torpedoes. It would help to know if IFHE improves HE damage though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,746
[KWF]
Members
4,362 posts
6,405 battles
3 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

I was wondering the same. I haven't used it on Le Terrible or any of the other French DDs and I haven't had a problem doing damage. The AP works very well and the HE did well enough. Also I am getting a good bit of damage from the torpedoes. It would help to know if IFHE improves HE damage though. 

If the HE pen is 30.12 as stated above, the only threshold you surpass is the midsection of some high tier cruisers being 30mm.

Other than that, classic IFHE stuff. You should be able to pen bow and aft of all cruisers and the bow and aft of tier VI-VII BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

If the HE pen is 30.12 as stated above, the only threshold you surpass is the midsection of some high tier cruisers being 30mm.

Other than that, classic IFHE stuff. You should be able to pen bow and aft of all cruisers and the bow and aft of tier VI-VII BBs.

You do not get 30mm pen. IFHE is 1.3x your normal HE pen, which is usually 1/6 of your caliber rounded down. 

So you end up with 29.9. I confirmed the lack of 30mm pen in a training room lobbing ifhe le terrible shells at cruiser upper belts. But it’s ok; if they’re showing you a lot of belt you lob AP instead! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,746
[KWF]
Members
4,362 posts
6,405 battles
4 minutes ago, PG908 said:

You do not get 30mm pen. IFHE is 1.3x your normal HE pen, which is usually 1/6 of your caliber rounded down. 

So you end up with 29.9. I confirmed the lack of 30mm pen in a training room lobbing ifhe le terrible shells at cruiser upper belts. But it’s ok; if they’re showing you a lot of belt you lob AP instead! 

 

On the 139/6*1.3 I get 30.116. 

So the 23.166 gets rounded down to 23 to give a 29.9? I know about the rounding down part, just wasn't aware it only applies to the first decimal place.

Well that's a bummer :fish_boom:

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
475 posts
5,224 battles
8 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

On the 139/6*1.3 I get 30.116. 

So the 23.166 gets rounded down to 23 to give a 29.9? I know about the rounding down part, just wasn't aware it only applies to the first decimal place.

Well that's a bummer :fish_boom:

It doesn’t actually matter on the second since there’s no armor values with decimals to test it on.

I’m half sure they just manually set a pen value anyway, since there’s some inconsistencies with what we see in game iirc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,820
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,599 posts
20 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

If the HE pen is 30.12 as stated above, the only threshold you surpass is the midsection of some high tier cruisers being 30mm.

Other than that, classic IFHE stuff. You should be able to pen bow and aft of all cruisers and the bow and aft of tier VI-VII BBs.

 

1 hour ago, eagle_lance said:

You should be able to pen cruisers with it but not bb's. 139/6=23.167 and then with ifhe, 23.167+(23.167×.3)=30.12.

There are few ships where it's worthwhile, at least for the tier VI French DD. For instance, if you are up-tiered in the French tier VI DD then IFHE will allow you to do more damage to a Baltimore. I took it though because I plan to use the commander for other ships where it might be more useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,371
[-KIA-]
Members
3,467 posts
14,786 battles

For T6...and maybe T7 IFHE is pretty good since IFHE on those 139mm guns allow you to pen 29mm. You can pen almost everything at T5-T6-T7, at T8 BB gain 32mm armour but cruiser still have 25-27mm so you can still pen them.

 

However for T9-T10, it's a heavy investement for little benefit. At T9 you can still pen most cruiser part but at T10, only the bow/stern can be pen. Deck is often 30mm, central plating armour is 30mm and some ship like Moksva and Stalingrad are covered in 50mm. 

 

The big deal with IFHE on Aigle and Guépard is the fact you pen pretty much everything, even BB. At high tier, you better spam HE on superstructure or find broadside and use AP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,891
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,072 posts
19,197 battles
4 hours ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

Please advise.

Right now I'm not putting IFHE on ANYTHING until I see what they're going to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×