Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Here's an idea, WG -- Map of the Day

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,906
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles

Much enthusiasm is being expressed for the Ocean map over in its thread.  Ocean used to occur at all (or most) tiers but now appears - rarely - only in T10 matches.  I think it would be enjoyable and educational for it to appear elsewhere.  And that applies to other maps, as well.  But maps are segregated by tier for a reason.  You may not want them in regular rotation because they may not work well with your "normal" ship selection and outfit -- and play style habits.

I've also seen requests to pre-announce maps and modes before MM runs, so a player can select the best ship/outfit for it.  But that just isn't workable.

How about a compromise?  Make a map the Map of the Day.  That map will have chance to appear at all tiers, and much more frequently than normal.  The experienced map variety increases.  The players have a better idea what map they will be facing ("Ocean is map of the day? I should play my DDs today.")  Suddenly players will have to think about what to do in unfamiliar terrain.

And it will supply a new excuse for why a game didn't go better. 

Win-win.  I like it.

 

  • Cool 9
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
503
[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,410 battles
30 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Much enthusiasm is being expressed for the Ocean map over in its thread.  Ocean used to occur at all (or most) tiers but now appears - rarely - only in T10 matches.  I think it would be enjoyable and educational for it to appear elsewhere.  And that applies to other maps, as well.  But maps are segregated by tier for a reason.  You may not want them in regular rotation because they may not work well with your "normal" ship selection and outfit -- and play style habits.

I've also seen requests to pre-announce maps and modes before MM runs, so a player can select the best ship/outfit for it.  But that just isn't workable.

How about a compromise?  Make a map the Map of the Day.  That map will have chance to appear at all tiers, and much more frequently than normal.  The experienced map variety increases.  The players have a better idea what map they will be facing ("Ocean is map of the day? I should play my DDs today.")  Suddenly players will have to think about what to do in unfamiliar terrain.

And it will supply a new excuse for why a game didn't go better. 

Win-win.  I like it.

 

Not a bad idea, but I think you would need to do it by Tiers.  I'm not to sure I'd want to play Tier X on the Solomon Islands map lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
425
[KSC]
Members
638 posts
9,552 battles

Some maps are very large, and lower tiers are very slow.  People already complain about "setup time" before you can actually shoot. 

Something to consider when pondering this suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
47 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

Some maps are very large, and lower tiers are very slow.  People already complain about "setup time" before you can actually shoot. 

Something to consider when pondering this suggestion.

Oh, I've considered it.  Slow BBs will eventually get there, even on Ocean.  Larger maps require different gameplay, which is why I used the term "educational".   One thing I worry about is tiny maps for high tier speedboats.  IMO, WG should scale its maps.  But at least immediately, some form of tiering would probably be required. 

There are many permutations of this idea.  Map of the Week; Weekend Map; type-friendly maps for events; epicenter-free week (we can dream).  etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
791
[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,751 posts
11,751 battles
1 hour ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

Not a bad idea, but I think you would need to do it by Tiers.  I'm not to sure I'd want to play Tier X on the Solomon Islands map lol. 

Both Solomon Islands and Big Race os balanced enough for t10 games to take place; especially the former.

The map layout of Solomon Islands would force ships either to engage or disengage. And while the usual walls of skill will still be possible, the confined straits of the map would keep the torpedo spreads narrow at best.

This could work.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
50 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

This could work.

Say, I like your emblem.PCNU053_ace9faadccf6856ab156c7f960b5a3d4What is it?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[SIAS]
Members
321 posts
13,670 battles

They could always implement a pick top 3 based on tier selection and have them rotate daily/weekly. It would provide an interesting experiment it what players like to play and if it varies on time of day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,910
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,093 posts
19,199 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Win-win.  I like it.

I like it too! I think it would stimulate getting us some more, new maps also, which couldn't be a bad thing. Good idea Duck buddy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,498
[WOLF7]
Members
12,595 posts
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Much enthusiasm is being expressed for the Ocean map over in its thread.  Ocean used to occur at all (or most) tiers but now appears - rarely - only in T10 matches.  I think it would be enjoyable and educational for it to appear elsewhere.  And that applies to other maps, as well.  But maps are segregated by tier for a reason.  You may not want them in regular rotation because they may not work well with your "normal" ship selection and outfit -- and play style habits.

I've also seen requests to pre-announce maps and modes before MM runs, so a player can select the best ship/outfit for it.  But that just isn't workable.

How about a compromise?  Make a map the Map of the Day.  That map will have chance to appear at all tiers, and much more frequently than normal.  The experienced map variety increases.  The players have a better idea what map they will be facing ("Ocean is map of the day? I should play my DDs today.")  Suddenly players will have to think about what to do in unfamiliar terrain.

And it will supply a new excuse for why a game didn't go better. 

Win-win.  I like it.

 

Because contrary to all evidence, the player base at large, who is not represented here, likes being fully exposed with no where to hide?.....:Smile_trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Because contrary to all evidence, the player base at large, who is not represented here, likes being fully exposed with no where to hide?.....:Smile_trollface:

This isn't directed specifically at Ocean.  Imagine getting Greece at Tier 4.  Much flapulation will ensue, undoubtedly, but I can't see it engendering any real ill will.

 

Probably not a real word, but it sounds good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,702
[INTEL]
Members
13,054 posts
36,005 battles

Its a good idea, enables players to switch out of Randoms when the map is one they detest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210
[0456]
Members
3,608 posts
9,541 battles

I think they already started testing this in high tiers. The map of the day for the past week was Shatter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles

From a fertile but evil mind:  Force pinkies and worse to play exclusively epicenter during their sentence.

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WOLF1]
Members
253 posts
53,123 battles
4 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

From a fertile but evil mind:  Force pinkies and worse to play exclusively epicenter during their sentence.

 

Make them play epicenter on the Ocean map... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,906
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
4 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

Make them play epicenter on the Ocean map... 

With an all-bot team. 

372351672_evillaugh.gif.20f8f0a4263adb8affd63508a4caa40a.gif

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,481
[A-I-M]
Members
3,034 posts
13,304 battles
1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

From a fertile but evil mind:  Force pinkies and worse to play exclusively epicenter during their sentence.

 

Your evil is small potatoes. WG just anally reamed the entire Ranked Sprint player base by forcing that upon them, without earning the penalty.

THAT is high-volume, perverse, gratuitous evil right there.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,316
[WOOK3]
Members
4,213 posts
3,235 battles
On 8/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, iDuckman said:

Much enthusiasm is being expressed for the Ocean map over in its thread.  Ocean used to occur at all (or most) tiers but now appears - rarely - only in T10 matches.  I think it would be enjoyable and educational for it to appear elsewhere.  And that applies to other maps, as well.  But maps are segregated by tier for a reason.  You may not want them in regular rotation because they may not work well with your "normal" ship selection and outfit -- and play style habits.

I've also seen requests to pre-announce maps and modes before MM runs, so a player can select the best ship/outfit for it.  But that just isn't workable.

How about a compromise?  Make a map the Map of the Day.  That map will have chance to appear at all tiers, and much more frequently than normal.  The experienced map variety increases.  The players have a better idea what map they will be facing ("Ocean is map of the day? I should play my DDs today.")  Suddenly players will have to think about what to do in unfamiliar terrain.

And it will supply a new excuse for why a game didn't go better. 

Win-win.  I like it.

 

Map of the day is a good idea, but if the map is Ocean I wouldn't play that day. I had my fill when it was full rotation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[WOLF1]
Members
253 posts
53,123 battles
5 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

THAT is high-volume, perverse, gratuitous evil right there.

Something we could use more of around here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,481
[A-I-M]
Members
3,034 posts
13,304 battles
Just now, oldblackdog said:

Something we could use more of around here....

No, too much trouble dealing with all the high-volume, perverse dumb-a$s out there in randoms. We don’t need anything added to the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×