Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

A Petition to WG for the USS Maryland (Fighting Mary)/

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

955
[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

Now I'm not asking for the USS Maryland in game. We have that ship, it's the USS Colorado. They were essentially 1 in the same. They went under similar refits, upgrades, etc.

 

What I'm asking is for a unique skin/camo. I am born and raised Maryland (Hagerstown). I vacationed on the Chespeake, been to Ocean City dozens of times, visited the planetarium, and love the inner harbor.

 

The USS Maryland was a great ship. It was in Battleship row during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Took 2 bomb hits, took on survivors from the Oklahoma, and continued fighting with her AA throughout the attack. She played support at the battle of Midway. Fought at Saipan, Leyte Gulf, and Okinawa.

 

She wasn't a unique or advanced ship but she fought. She deserves some sort of recognition for her service so the players can represent her.

 

Here's my thought. Give us a skin in the most Maryland proud way possible. Make it look like the Maryland Flag. There is nothing Marylanders flaunt more than our pride of our flag. We love it and plaster it on everything. My dog leash looks like the Maryland Flag.

Here's an exampleFlag-of-Maryland-XL.jpg

 

I think it's worth doing and would be a great way to recognize a great ship with a great service record.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,346
[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
5,001 battles

I'm no history buff, but I would totally be on board with renaming WV41 to Maryland.

 

WV is a harbinger of a line I do not particularly want to cross (year specific ships), but that's just me. I suppose it's better than black ship reskins:Smile-_tongue:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
661
[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,606 posts
19,720 battles

I support this too being a Marylander. Just think of the Cammo for the BB using the Maryland flag. :Smile_Default:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[WOLFG]
Members
234 posts
6,624 battles

I'm totally onboard with this suggestion.  Camo incorporating aspects of the state flag would be cool and distinctive.  I would part with money for that option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
653
[NUWES]
Members
3,133 posts
10,692 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

Now I'm not asking for the USS Maryland in game. We have that ship, it's the USS Colorado. They were essentially 1 in the same. They went under similar refits, upgrades, etc.

 

What I'm asking is for a unique skin/camo. I am born and raised Maryland (Hagerstown). I vacationed on the Chespeake, been to Ocean City dozens of times, visited the planetarium, and love the inner harbor.

 

The USS Maryland was a great ship. It was in Battleship row during the attack on Pearl Harbor. Took 2 bomb hits, took on survivors from the Oklahoma, and continued fighting with her AA throughout the attack. She played support at the battle of Midway. Fought at Saipan, Leyte Gulf, and Okinawa.

 

She wasn't a unique or advanced ship but she fought. She deserves some sort of recognition for her service so the players can represent her.

 

Here's my thought. Give us a skin in the most Maryland proud way possible. Make it look like the Maryland Flag. There is nothing Marylanders flaunt more than our pride of our flag. We love it and plaster it on everything. My dog leash looks like the Maryland Flag.

Here's an exampleFlag-of-Maryland-XL.jpg

 

I think it's worth doing and would be a great way to recognize a great ship with a great service record.

I support this. I just wanted to point out that they didn't undergo the same refits. Maryland was more extensively refitted. Not to the extent of West Virginia, but much more so than Colorado. The big difference is she got the full rebuild of modern 5"/38s more like NC in the game. Colorado ended the war mostly like she started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800
[WOLFC]
Members
1,649 posts
9,465 battles
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

I'm no history buff, but I would totally be on board with renaming WV41 to Maryland.

 

WV is a harbinger of a line I do not particularly want to cross (year specific ships), but that's just me. I suppose it's better than black ship reskins:Smile-_tongue:

I agree regarding the year-specific ships. After the whole fiasco involving WV, WG should have made appropriate changes to the model and released it as Maryland. As it stands, I’m skeptical we will ever see the WV ‘44 so many want, since it would probably need to be a tier VII (20 knots at tier 8?) and three Colorado’s in a two tier spread seems a bit much. That, and WG already cashed in on most of the players that wanted a WV in their port because it was WV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,095
[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,668 battles

A Maryland '44 would be far more interesting than a WV '44. 

Battleship_USS_Maryland.jpg

I don't need gaudy camo, but I *would* like the state flag.

Unfortunately, I think Wargaming has gotten it into their heads that West Virginia is some ultra-iconic American state... rather than the has-been, perpetually impoverished, rural dumpster fire that it actually is (seriously: counting on my fingers, there are... oh... about 28 states with mountains that I would rather visit than the "mountain state." It's dead freaking last [I would rather go to New Jersey than West Virginia. NEW JERSEY!]). Maryland, on the other hand, is not only 'essentially' home to the nation's capital, but also the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis. 

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles
3 hours ago, otakuben said:

Now I'm not asking for the USS Maryland in game. We  have that ship, it's the USS Colorado.

What I'm asking is for a unique skin/camo. 

She deserves some sort of recognition for her service so the players can represent her.

Here's my thought. Give us a skin in the most Maryland proud way possible.

Meanwhile at Wargaming HQ

Dev 1: "Comrades! This man in NA server forum wants to pay us lots of money for new premium ship!"

Dev 2: "Excellent, I'll copypaste Colorado during lunch break."

Dev 3: "Don't forget to bundle it with flags to inflate the price."

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Meanwhile at Wargaming HQ

Dev 1: "Comrades! This man in NA server forum wants to pay us lots of money for new premium ship!"

Dev 2: "Excellent, I'll copypaste Colorado during lunch break."

Dev 3: "Don't forget to bundle it with flags to inflate the price."

That sounds about right. They'll copy-paste a Colorado, name it USS Maryland, and do nothing to actually make it stand out as the USS Maryland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
340
[TF16B]
Modder
648 posts
798 battles

Kind of like so? FYI, very work in progress. The way the texture is set up it's been a pain the neck to get some of parts to line up, part of me wants to just color parts a solid red or yellow color like how it appears on the 2nd screenshot. Spare myself some headaches. :fish_boom:

Update (09/02/19): It's complete. This will overwrite the A and B hull of the Colorado. Initially I just wanted to the B hull but the textures share the same file for the towers so it was all or nothing. 

Download: Old Mary

 

shot-19.09.02_16.28.26-0346.jpg

Edited by Mailman653

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
603
[SVF]
Members
1,717 posts
2,254 battles
On 8/3/2019 at 12:03 PM, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Unfortunately, I think Wargaming has gotten it into their heads that West Virginia is some ultra-iconic American state.

The ship herself is something of an icon, yes.

Edited by landcollector

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,483
[A-I-M]
Members
3,035 posts
13,304 battles
On 8/3/2019 at 12:03 PM, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

would rather go to New Jersey than West Virginia. NEW JERSEY!

Speaking as a West Virginia native, I heartily agree with you: I would much prefer that you go to New Jersey as well.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4
[SRPHC]
[SRPHC]
Members
52 posts
5,420 battles

Just an idea I'm gonna toss out there. Maybe include some kind of significant historical reference on any Maryland camo alongside the flag. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×