You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Picture of Colbert / Death of a Cruiser

10 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,184 posts
19,043 battles

tQ34EOS.jpg

The last known picture of Colbert, that French AA cruiser with 16x 5" / 54 rifles that's currently in testing. Click for larger version.

I was looking up info on the actual ship when I came across this picture. Made me sad. The picture is from 2017, when the scrapping procedure had already begun.

• Cool 6

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,800 posts
4,933 battles

Yeah... She served for a long time as a museum ship, but eventually they retired it, and went ahead with scrapping her.

[HINON]
Members
13,278 posts
15 minutes ago, Lert said:

It is sad to see cool ships become scrap. I was however, after much searching, able to obtain a more recent photo.

Gug9M0T.jpg

• Funny 2

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,590 posts
15,735 battles
7 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It is sad to see cool ships become scrap. I was however, after much searching, able to obtain a more recent photo.

Gug9M0T.jpg

iuSW7W9X1H.jpg

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,127 posts
19,226 battles
51 minutes ago, Lert said:

Made me sad.

I can understand that …… it's a very sad picture. Old age does not sit well on either people or ships.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,471 battles
8 minutes ago, Umikami said:

I can understand that …… it's a very sad picture. Old age does not sit well on either people or ships.

" You got that right ! "    :Smile_teethhappy:   

:Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

tQ34EOS.jpg

The last known picture of Colbert, that French AA cruiser with 16x 5" / 54 rifles that's currently in testing. Click for larger version.

I was looking up info on the actual ship when I came across this picture. Made me sad. The picture is from 2017, when the scrapping procedure had already begun.

It is sad when any ship is put off to the side like that.

The Great Lakes Freighter J. B. Ford built in 1903 waiting in Duluth, MN for scrap to hit the right price. :Smile_sad:

27-june-2018-a.jpg

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,250 battles

The remains of the St. Louis-class protected cruiser USS Charleston (C-22) in Kelsey Bay, Vancouver Island, B.C. After WWI, she was decommissioned, repurposed as a floating breakwater for a logging mill, and run aground and abandoned in the bay when she started to flood. She remains there to this day.

KB3.jpg.b0d5cdc21cdc539c2cbeec64287f43da.jpg

2 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

iuSW7W9X1H.jpg

I'd even say it was...

:cap_cool:

cutthroat.

0 posts
On 8/3/2019 at 3:57 AM, Lert said:

tQ34EOS.jpg

1024px-Landevennec.JPG

In Landevennec, where old French warships are sent to retire. This wikipedia photo is from 2007, (before she was towed off again for scrapping, she spent nearly a decade here).

800px-Bordeaux_Garonne.jpg

her time as a musuem ship in Bordeaux (pre 2007). Looking splendid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_cruiser_Colbert_(C611)