You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fletcher7_1944

What in the world happened to Solomons??

19 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
4,479 posts

I saw some sort of replay the other day, and it was on Solomons map.   Reminded me that I haven't seen that map in forever...   So long I'd forgotten about it.

What gives?

More maps is generally better than less...

Members
3,587 posts
13,004 battles

It's a low tier map (Tiers 2-5), you wont see it if youve been playing T6 or higher lately. 

I know it's still in rotation, cause I just got done getting my Okt Rev to 50% WR. Saw it a few times while running through the lower tiers. 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,015 posts
22,576 battles

I wondered the same thing as I was cycling thru my low tier premiums to farm coal. Haven't seen that map in a long time but have always attributed it to me playing so much tier 5+ to work on daily missions. Seems it is a tier 4 and lower map although I know I have played it with my Texas so it is available to tier 5 ships. I miss the map, just loads of fun especially in Domination mode. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles
7 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

It's a low tier map (Tiers 2-5), you wont see it if youve been playing T6 or higher lately. 

I know it's still in rotation, cause I just got done getting my Okt Rev to 50% WR. Saw it a few times while running through the lower tiers. 

Solomons is the one map I miss because I play higher tiers.  It's just the ships that play in Solomon's MM bracket just suck.

OTOH, High Tier maps just suck bad in general, lacking any and all decent design and imagination, but the ships are fantastic :Smile_sceptic:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,015 posts
22,576 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Solomons is the one map I miss because I play higher tiers.  It's just the ships that play in Solomon's MM bracket just suck.

OTOH, High Tier maps just suck bad in general, lacking any and all decent design and imagination, but the ships are fantastic :Smile_sceptic:

Have you ever wondered why Wargaming just doesn't scale maps up and down like they do for Ranked and add all the maps to all the tiers? I mean we know they can do this and it would add a huge variety of maps to all tiers.... 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,085 posts
23,857 battles
20 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Have you ever wondered why Wargaming just doesn't scale maps up and down like they do for Ranked and add all the maps to all the tiers? I mean we know they can do this and it would add a huge variety of maps to all tiers.... 

Anything, High Tier maps suck so bad that IMO, a lot of the perceived problems people have with High Tier combat is they all pretty much invite only one form of combat.

Long range.

High Tier maps lack any and all imagination, variation.  They are 1 hair above the imagination of making Ocean.

Islands of Ice is one of the worst examples of this.

You had the previous version.  GARBAGE.

Image result for islands of ice world of warships

Then you had the version today:

300px-Ice_Islands.png

A dreary, dull, stupid High Tier Map.

Then you had the old school 2015 version of the map.  This was high tier, where Tier X was playing:

This was awesome, lots of various areas to enable different styles of play.  Areas for knife fighting and brawls, ample areas for long ranged, open water fighting.  That cluster of islands in the northwest?  BBs actually liked to fight in there.  The chain of islands in the center down to the southeast got crazy with DDs and Cruisers in there, trying to control those areas for flanking or denying the flanking attacks.  BBs in the middle, open water areas battling it out or firing from the center to support efforts in the flanks.  It was crazy.  I got schooled hard on this map.  But it was fun and varied.

Somewhere along the way from 2015 and today, map design in WoWs has gone to the sh*tters.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 8

[TF-64]
Members
540 posts
19,083 battles

They want all the maps looking the same. Best map ever for high tiers was the old islands of ice before it became another norther lights clone

[WOLF9]
Members
4,479 posts

I agree the copy/paste nature of all the reworked maps sucked all the individuality out of them.   AND most of the fun.   The OG versions of most of them were leaps and bounds better...

[RLGN]
Members
14,319 posts
25,257 battles

@HazeGrayUnderway

100% agree about Islands of Ice.

Just looks like a variation of Trident now.

Even the previous version was better, and the one before that better still.

Just remember it from a few DM and Fletcher games from way back in ‘15-‘16 when I first started.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,126 posts
19,213 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Just remember it from a few DM and Fletcher games from way back in ‘15-‘16 when I first started.

It was a fun and challenging map back then. It sort of blows chunks now.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles
2 hours ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

I have been seeing it quite a bit this week while knocking off low tier flakes except for today where it came up zero times.

2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Somewhere along the way from 2015 and today, map design in WoWs has gone to the sh*tters.

^^^ This, When I first started playing WoT I was amazed that the maps were often asymmetrical but balanced none the less. The original Islands of Ice was a perfect example of that asymmetrical but balanced map design. Now everything is mirror or near mirror image and boring.

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Members
235 posts
3,977 battles

... And that's just one of the reasons why I don't play high tier..

Low tier has small, claustrophobic matches that are fast and fun. In high tier I get double cit by a Yamato 20km away. Why would I want that??

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,176 battles

Two Brothers is the closest to the Solomons map for the higher tiers. A scaled up version of the Solomons map would be fun for the high tiers. 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,612 posts
14,665 battles

I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one... almost all of the high tier maps suck.

• Cool 1

[DPG]
Members
1,928 posts
9,602 battles

They need to open up the maps to all tiers, even the tiny ones.  Solomon islands and Polar would be hilarious for tier 10.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,176 battles
6 hours ago, Amenhir said:

They need to open up the maps to all tiers, even the tiny ones.  Solomon islands and Polar would be hilarious for tier 10.

Ooh, close quarters battles. I like it!

Edited by Diesel_Thunder