Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
warheart1992

IFHE on DDs in general; yay or nay?

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,752
[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

Now, I see alot of talk on using IFHE in DDs. And I am not talking about ships like Jutland and Daring or Aki/Kita/Harugumo, but in general. I always found the skill in DDs a bit of a waste to be honest; most DDs have floaty arcs, so after a while automatically superstructure becomes a habit. If someone shows broadside AP is pretty decent in most DDs. In addition you lose on fire chance. Of course you can exceed certain thresholds penetration wise like being able to penetrate the extremities of any cruiser, or getting through tier VI-VII BBs, but I don't see much point.

In my mind it basically allows you to be a bit more liberal with your aiming and that's about it.

To sum it up, looking to hear opinions on IFHE on DDs that don't really need it and whether there is some worth in picking it up.:Smile_honoring:

 

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,860
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,625 posts

It's going to be less useful after the patch. I hope there is a free respec associated with it.

Quote

Inertial Fuse for HE shells skill is increasing the penetration of HE shells by 20% [formerly 30%] and lowers the probability of causing fire by 50% [formerly, -1 to -3% -- is this a typo?].

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,594
[KRAK]
Members
3,712 posts
21,726 battles
37 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

It's going to be less useful after the patch. I hope there is a free respec associated with it.

 

It is only in testing and may not make it to game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53
[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
161 posts
2,792 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Now, I see alot of talk on using IFHE in DDs. And I am not talking about ships like Jutland and Daring or Aki/Kita/Harugumo, but in general. I always found the skill in DDs a bit of a waste to be honest; most DDs have floaty arcs, so after a while automatically superstructure becomes a habit. If someone shows broadside AP is pretty decent in most DDs. In addition you lose on fire chance. Of course you can exceed certain thresholds penetration wise like being able to penetrate the extremities of any cruiser, or getting through tier VI-VII BBs, but I don't see much point.

In my mind it basically allows you to be a bit more liberal with your aiming and that's about it.

To sum it up, looking to hear opinions on IFHE on DDs that don't really need it and whether there is some worth in picking it up.:Smile_honoring:

 

All good information that I agreed with.  But, after reading it, all I could think of was this: 

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
652
[NUWES]
Members
3,133 posts
10,684 battles

At lot also depends on whether there are more pressing places to out  your points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
148
[PENND]
Members
355 posts
7,605 battles
5 hours ago, enderland07 said:

In general, it's not worth it.

 

Not unless you're talking about Jutland or Daring. Those 2 need it bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
Members
768 posts
18,340 battles

Yay until T7.

Nay T8 and above.

Excepting the RN and Aki lines.

At high tiers you use HE to stack fires and AP to do damage. IFHE just messes with your fire-starting ability.
I mean you can use the same tactic in mid-to-low tiers as well, but IFHE can actually pen most BBs and cruisers, so it allows more flexibility.

Edit: @DolphinPrincess You take IFHE on the Khab?

Edited by yacskn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
237
[CHASE]
[CHASE]
Beta Testers
391 posts
11,770 battles

In general you can get HE damage on cruisers and BBs by shooting superstructure, plus the fires, not to mention switching to AP on the upper hull, super, and extremities when broadside. So IFHE is a really expensive skill that doesn't get much benefit. In a DD, your main role is to counter enemy dds, scout, and harass bigger ships with fires and torps. You don't need IFHE to be successful in those roles. So the 4 points used on IFHE can usually be used on more useful skills like RPF, AFT, or tier 3 skills like BFT, Torp Armament, or SI. Only when your HE can't pen 19mm (UK T9-10 DDs) or IFHE allowing for crossing important 32 mm threshold (Aki-Hara line) is IFHE worth taking.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
8 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Now, I see alot of talk on using IFHE in DDs. And I am not talking about ships like Jutland and Daring or Aki/Kita/Harugumo, but in general. I always found the skill in DDs a bit of a waste to be honest; most DDs have floaty arcs, so after a while automatically superstructure becomes a habit. If someone shows broadside AP is pretty decent in most DDs. In addition you lose on fire chance. Of course you can exceed certain thresholds penetration wise like being able to penetrate the extremities of any cruiser, or getting through tier VI-VII BBs, but I don't see much point.

In my mind it basically allows you to be a bit more liberal with your aiming and that's about it.

To sum it up, looking to hear opinions on IFHE on DDs that don't really need it and whether there is some worth in picking it up.:Smile_honoring:

 

I take it on all my dds that have spare points... not because of a huge benefit (jutland) but because i cant be bothered to switch shell types mid knife fight. for me at least consistent damage with HE/ifhe wins out over situational higher AP damage. One less thing to juggle as a dd is the true draw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
38 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

I take it on all my dds that have spare points... not because of a huge benefit (jutland) but because i cant be bothered to switch shell types mid knife fight. for me at least consistent damage with HE/ifhe wins out over situational higher AP damage. One less thing to juggle as a dd is the true draw.

Wait, really?

Pushing a single button to change shell types is too much of a hassle for you? Especially given that the reload time is under 4s in almost all cases?

You're doing yourself a disservice if you're not shooting AP to a broadside cruiser or a battleship and even to DDs in certain cases. Especially if it's a cruiser you're knife-fighting. You're just leaving damage on the table and possibly getting yourself killed early because you're too lazy to change shells.

I mean just change the shell when you see them turning bow-in/out. It's not that hard.

Not to mention the waste of a 4 captain points.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
646 posts
72 battles
9 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Now, I see alot of talk on using IFHE in DDs. And I am not talking about ships like Jutland and Daring or Aki/Kita/Harugumo, but in general. I always found the skill in DDs a bit of a waste to be honest; most DDs have floaty arcs, so after a while automatically superstructure becomes a habit. If someone shows broadside AP is pretty decent in most DDs. In addition you lose on fire chance. Of course you can exceed certain thresholds penetration wise like being able to penetrate the extremities of any cruiser, or getting through tier VI-VII BBs, but I don't see much point.

In my mind it basically allows you to be a bit more liberal with your aiming and that's about it.

To sum it up, looking to hear opinions on IFHE on DDs that don't really need it and whether there is some worth in picking it up.:Smile_honoring:

 

For those mentioned above its pretty much a must have. For the rest its a waste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
35 minutes ago, yacskn said:

Wait, really?

Pushing a single button to change shell types is too much of a hassle for you? Especially given that the reload time is under 4s in almost all cases?

You're doing yourself a disservice if you're not shooting AP to a broadside cruiser or a battleship and even to DDs in certain cases. Especially if it's a cruiser you're knife-fighting. You're just leaving damage on the table and possibly getting yourself killed early because you're too lazy to change shells.

I mean just change the shell when you see them turning bow-in/out. It's not that hard.

Not to mention the waste of a 4 captain points.

 

True. But HE is my jam. Disabled torp tubes. Broken AA. Fires. AP can bounce but HE even with 0 damage can start a fire.

Only scenarios i can see switching it up would be for KM dds.

Of course my targets are rarely bbs or cruisers though... knife fighting ftw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

I use it for the higher tier Brits and the IJN gun line. Nothing else. But the Brits won't get much damage without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,486
[CAST]
Members
4,990 posts
3,513 battles

For most DDs, nay.

But exceptions exist. The Akizuki line gets a HUGE damage buff from it. So does the Haida. These ships will suffer a good deal following the IFHE changes, especially Haida. At least the Akizukis still have powerful torp powerful and fire setting ability. Haida does not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
Members
768 posts
18,340 battles
15 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Yes, legendary mod gives Khaba really good DPM.

It takes AP pens so its less ideal against BBs but the 50mm really helps to shatter HE from cruisers

Take IFHE and Khab becomes a cruiser killer, if you play it the normal way it will simply be an inferior Grozovoi.

I couldn't decide how to build the Khab when I get the Legendary on it. 

This helps.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

As far as DDs are concerned I only use IFHE on the Russian gunboats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×