Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Croda

Campaigns

7 comments in this topic

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
192 posts
8,891 battles

Anyone remember these?

Broadly available.  Challenging.  Worthwhile rewards.  Easy to understand.  No purchase necessary.  

No, not the "you need to buy this ship to take part in this cool thing" campaigns, the accessible permanent ones like those that awarded Yamamoto and Halsey and Shinonome.  Even the Bismarck Campaign.  Man, I remember in my early days how excited I was when I finished that campaign and unlocked a freakin' tier 8 ship!  Whooooo!  Yeah, good times, good times...

@Kami, please remind the dev team of these for me.  This is the type of event that I would like to see more of, and I'd wager I'm not alone.  Campaigns were simple, elegant, and gave something to play for without a need to make WoWs a second job (e.g. the insane Benham event).  Campaigns are what I'd like to see more of.  Not directives.  Not flavor-of-the-release currency.  Not buy 100 lootboxes for a slim chance to get something you can get for free next month anyway.  Let's just go back to Campaigns.  Sit down, play, work on the reward, and get there when you get there, at your own pace.  Those were the days.

It was when the events got complicated and expensive that this game lost a lot of its fun.  I think the people just want simple again.  I know that I do.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,155 posts
11,024 battles
3 minutes ago, Croda said:

This is the type of event that I would like to see more of, and I'd wager I'm not alone.  Campaigns were simple, elegant, and gave something to play for without a need to make WoWs a second job

these were nice to motivate your ship choices through your battles. 

4 minutes ago, Croda said:

I think the people just want simple again.

yes please. please WG. let the dust settle out a little. everything is blurring together, and becoming meaningless. so much going on.. i am skipping the reading and just hitting battle... at the end i have bars progressing i have no idea from where sometimes. and worse, sometimes it takes me several clicks to find out where. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,828 posts
25,916 battles
59 minutes ago, Croda said:

Anyone remember these?

Broadly available.  Challenging.  Worthwhile rewards.  Easy to understand.  No purchase necessary.  

No, not the "you need to buy this ship to take part in this cool thing" campaigns, the accessible permanent ones like those that awarded Yamamoto and Halsey and Shinonome.  Even the Bismarck Campaign.  Man, I remember in my early days how excited I was when I finished that campaign and unlocked a freakin' tier 8 ship!  Whooooo!  Yeah, good times, good times...

@Kami, please remind the dev team of these for me.  This is the type of event that I would like to see more of, and I'd wager I'm not alone.  Campaigns were simple, elegant, and gave something to play for without a need to make WoWs a second job (e.g. the insane Benham event).  Campaigns are what I'd like to see more of.  Not directives.  Not flavor-of-the-release currency.  Not buy 100 lootboxes for a slim chance to get something you can get for free next month anyway.  Let's just go back to Campaigns.  Sit down, play, work on the reward, and get there when you get there, at your own pace.  Those were the days.

It was when the events got complicated and expensive that this game lost a lot of its fun.  I think the people just want simple again.  I know that I do.

I'm of two minds here.

1. I like the directives format because you're not forced to selected specific tasks within the campaign to work.  However, I do like campaigns as well.

2. I get annoyed by people calling the current events "complicated".  Maybe they're complicated for pre-teen children, but they should be no trouble for any educated adult to understand.  I don't like having my intelligence insulted by calling simple things "complicated".

[WWJWD]
Beta Testers
192 posts
8,891 battles

I think the "complicated" part is that they seem to have little changes every time, and never for the positive.  For example this time around when I finished the first directive, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get Hall of Fame points.  Why?  Because this time you had to complete all the missions in the directive to be able to earn HoF points, which naturally included the French DD-specific missions.  I'm pretty sure in the past all you had to do was complete the directive.  Also the means of getting the token-of-the-month, and how many you need to buy this month's widget.  It's all the little changes from event to event that I find add some complication and make it frustrating to deal with.  No they certainly aren't awfully hard to understand, but they had a great model that worked well and didn't need to change it, IMO.

I don't mind the directives in general, but there's a huge difference in direction between the Yamamoto campaign and last month's Benham craziness.  I'd much rather have the old approach.

[M-B]
Members
110 posts

I agree, I'm almost done with Halsey, when it's finished I will be working on Yamato. (Started it, then switched. I live the ability to put one on hold to do another) also gave something to work twords when you look at the campaign and see, "oh, I'm going to need a tier X us cruiser" instead of "I wonder what ships I don't have that I might need, that I can only get if WG decides to let me randomly get them from a box next month".

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,014 posts
22,574 battles
26 minutes ago, iron_crosstx said:

I agree, I'm almost done with Halsey, when it's finished I will be working on Yamato. (Started it, then switched. I live the ability to put one on hold to do another) also gave something to work twords when you look at the campaign and see, "oh, I'm going to need a tier X us cruiser" instead of "I wonder what ships I don't have that I might need, that I can only get if WG decides to let me randomly get them from a box next month".

This is the thing I loved most about doing the campaigns. The ability to "pause" and switch things around. Finishing a campaign really feels like an achievement unlike some of the time restricted grinds that when you are done with, you just feel relief that it is finally over. Finishing a campaign feels good. Finishing all the campaigns is joyous. I am looking forward to the next one! 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,655 posts
20 hours ago, Crucis said:

2. I get annoyed by people calling the current events "complicated". 

On several occasions, I've completed the event criteria without even knowing that the events were taking place, simply by playing the game as I normally do.

Sign in to follow this