You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chain_shot

WG neeeds to bring Ocean map back for T7-T10.

77 comments in this topic

[PIMPS]
Members
1,493 posts

It's the only map where non campers can get their revenge on camping play style in a just manner. It separates the good players from the bad both in campers and stay at the back players. To be honest its quite fun to play.

I see Ocean map at t10 only and it is always a hoot.  If I can get brothers 5/7 times in a row i don't see what giving us Ocean once a week would hurt. It would hone people's sills.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 20
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 3

[KWF]
Members
4,370 posts
6,405 battles

Because playing a ship reliant on cover like Worcester is a sign of a coward and not playing to your ship's strength.

Now if you mean the 20km Yamatos, sure sign me up.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
6,858 posts
15,336 battles

It more separates good ships from bad ships in open water play. Good players are good wherever they play. It's almost as if WG makes certain ships strong at certain things and what works on one map might not work on another map

• Cool 2

[PIMPS]
Members
1,493 posts
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

It more separates good ships from bad ships in open water play. Good players are good wherever they play. It's almost as if WG makes certain ships strong at certain things and what works on one map might not work on another map

Also separates those good at team work and punishes those that are not.

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
46 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

It's the only map where non campers can get their revenge on camping play style in a just manner. It separates the good players from the bad both in campers and stay at the back players. To be honest its quite fun to play.

I see Ocean map at t10 only and it is always a hoot.  If I can get brothers 5/7 times in a row i don't see what giving us Ocean once a week would hurt. It would hone people's sills.

I'd actually like to see them create two versions of Ocean.  One for high tiers and a smaller one for mid tiers.

Also, I wholeheartedly support having the Ocean map be used more often, at least as often as any other high tier map.

• Cool 3

Members
6,858 posts
15,336 battles
32 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

Also separates those good at team work and punishes those that are not.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say that your definition of team work is vastly different compared to mine. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles

Ocean is in the rotation for tier 10 matches but the chance is extremely low.

8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'd actually like to see them create two versions of Ocean.  One for high tiers and a smaller one for mid tiers.

Also, I wholeheartedly support having the Ocean map be used more often, at least as often as any other high tier map.

They could do that for most maps with minor tweaking to ensure the spaces between islands are the proper size

Trivia tidbit, Ocean used to be a tier 5+ map so tier 3's could see it.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

Ocean is in the rotation for tier 10 matches but the chance is extremely low.

They could do that for most maps with minor tweaking to ensure the spaces between islands are the proper size

Trivia tidbit, Ocean used to be a tier 5+ map so tier 3's could see it.

Yes, I know that Ocean used to be a tier 5 map back when tier 3's could face tier 5's.  Personally, with the current MM, I wouldn't set the min battle tier for Ocean below tier 6, meaning that the lowest tier ship that could see it would be tier 5's in tier 6 battles (not counting a possible fail div with a tier 5 ship div'd with 1-2 tier 4 ships).

And sure, they could rescale most maps.  But let's face it, it's a lot easier to do a smaller version of Ocean since there are no islands to rescale.

And for what little it's worth, I think that they could create an Ocean-like map with islands, if the islands in question were nice, flat atolls, and not that many of them.  Atolls would be like those flat islands on the south side of the B cap on the Trap map.  You can shoot over those with ease, except of you're right next to them.  They're more of a "threat" to block torpedoes or force ships to go through gaps between the atolls just to get inside the atoll ring.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Yes, I know that Ocean used to be a tier 5 map back when tier 3's could face tier 5's.  Personally, with the current MM, I wouldn't set the min battle tier for Ocean below tier 6, meaning that the lowest tier ship that could see it would be tier 5's in tier 6 battles (not counting a possible fail div with a tier 5 ship div'd with 1-2 tier 4 ships).

And sure, they could rescale most maps.  But let's face it, it's a lot easier to do a smaller version of Ocean since there are no islands to rescale.

And for what little it's worth, I think that they could create an Ocean-like map with islands, if the islands in question were nice, flat atolls, and not that many of them.  Atolls would be like those flat islands on the south side of the B cap on the Trap map.  You can shoot over those with ease, except of you're right next to them.  They're more of a "threat" to block torpedoes or force ships to go through gaps between the atolls just to get inside the atoll ring.

Ocean is too large for the slower ships but a resized version for those ships would be fun.

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Ocean is too large for the slower ships but a resized version for those ships would be fun.

Agreed, which of course is why I suggested it.  :cap_like:

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,625 posts
1 hour ago, Chain_shot said:

It's the only map where non campers can get their revenge on camping play style in a just manner.

Ocean definitely needs to be in the standard rotation for maps. I was on it a couple days ago for the first time in several months. You always get comments on how rare a thing it is to see the map.

Members
152 posts
8,715 battles

I miss Ocean at mid-tier. Circling  blobs.

Like the resized map for mid-tiers suggestion. Not sure about the atolls; I would Notser on the only one, with my luck.

Ohhh...Epicenter on Ocean. That would be all the rage.

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
807 posts
7,168 battles

It’s not exclusive to T10. I was in my T8 North Carolina on July 9th when I played a domination battle on Ocean. Interesting for sure and was the only time I’ve seen it outside of the training room. The battle chat commentary was fun at the battle start. 

I agree with the above posters. That would be fun to see a scaled down Ocean map at the mid tiers. :cap_like:

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
1 hour ago, minor_correction said:

I miss Ocean at mid-tier. Circling  blobs.

Like the resized map for mid-tiers suggestion. Not sure about the atolls; I would Notser on the only one, with my luck.

Ohhh...Epicenter on Ocean. That would be all the rage.

In my vision, an atoll map would basically be Ocean with a ring of small, flat "islands" in a ring.  And actually, it'd probably be a good map for Epicenter, with the inner "ring" covering the inner harbor inside the atoll ring.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles

Some thoughts on Ocean.

1. If people only see it rarely, is it any wonder that some don't really know what to do on those rare instances when they do see it?

2. I get that there are some players that don't like Ocean and prefer maps choked with islands.  But what about those of us who do like Ocean?  Why is it that WE have to not get some (open) maps that WE like?  Why is it that only the players who prefer island choked maps get catered to and the players that prefer open maps get boned?

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Ocean at all tiers... Its been asked all year, Ocean should be available to all tiers.

I'm not so sure that Ocean as its current size is suitable for lower tier ships as it's too large.  You might as well have tier 3 battles on Tears of the Desert or Land of Fire.  No, I think that if there was a desire to have an Ocean map for all tiers, there should be 2 or maybe even 3 variants of Ocean at different sizes that are appropriate to different tiers.

[WORX]
Members
10,631 posts
18,519 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I'm not so sure that Ocean as its current size is suitable for lower tier ships as it's too large.

A simple adjustment should fix that... Ocean should be the only map available at all tiers.

[SALVO]
Members
24,794 posts
25,871 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

A simple adjustment should fix that... Ocean should be the only map available at all tiers.

That simple adjustment would likely just be to take the ocean map and make 3  versions with 3 different spawn pairs that are closer as the tiers are lower.  For that much effort, they might as well just make 3 differently SIZED maps.

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,087 posts
14,957 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Yes, I know that Ocean used to be a tier 5 map back when tier 3's could face tier 5's.

I remember getting Ocean in my South Carolina AND Kawachi...  :Smile_hiding:

I agree with Op, bring on more Ocean!  :Smile_izmena:

Members
509 posts
16,000 battles

I know the tier 10s have no idea how to play it mostly because they don't know how to move their ships. This map needs to rotate a lot more often but I would like to see more weather effects on it

• Cool 1