You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rabe

Getting back in and my stats are tanking

24 comments in this topic

Members
11 posts
3,294 battles

I used to play quite frequently but the past few years my play was limited to maybe a couple dozen or so battles a year. Recently I decided to get back into playing more WoWs. Now, my playing REALLY blows chunks! I've always been a 48% WR (overall) player with "meh it's not notable one way or the other" damage output. I've always done better in ranked - with i think like a 53% WR... (thanks for the carry yo) And I've never really survived a lot of battles.

Lately, I've been grinding the Montana legendary module as it gives me something to focus on. But my wins over the last month or so has been a laugh! really, like 33% WR and like 60-70k damage, and that's on a good day! (now overall WR is like 47% and dropping)

Frankly, I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to adjust... I'm not looking to be a unicum, but I would like to have fun. (spreadsheet says Im having fun)

I mean I know the basic 'details' of playing...

• Don't show broadside
  • give proper lead
  • don't drive in straight lines
  • threat assess available targets
  • dodge torpedoes BEFORE you see them 
  • know my ranges 
  • know my enemy
  • don't repair party single or double fires
  • know which ammo to use and when
  • situational awareness

One thing I have noticed since getting back - everyone seems to hug islands now... I mean... really... REALLY hug them.. and not just the Atlanta types... But even the open water cruisers and battleships. Even the destroyers.... best concealment?? lets stay here behind this island... Anyway... While this may be related to the CV changes a couple months ago, I see this in every match now not just carrier games.

I tend to go out and play as a tank... I know this has an adverse affect on my life expectancy... But if this is "the" reason - what's changed??? 

IDK... I don't know what to change and it's a bummer.

[EQRN]
Members
2,029 posts
17,443 battles
9 minutes ago, Rabe said:

I used to play quite frequently but the past few years my play was limited to maybe a couple dozen or so battles a year. Recently I decided to get back into playing more WoWs. Now, my playing REALLY blows chunks! I've always been a 48% WR (overall) player with "meh it's not notable one way or the other" damage output. I've always done better in ranked - with i think like a 53% WR... (thanks for the carry yo) And I've never really survived a lot of battles.

Lately, I've been grinding the Montana legendary module as it gives me something to focus on. But my wins over the last month or so has been a laugh! really, like 33% WR and like 60-70k damage, and that's on a good day! (now overall WR is like 47% and dropping)

Frankly, I'm at my wits end. I don't know what to adjust... I'm not looking to be a unicum, but I would like to have fun. (spreadsheet says Im having fun)

• Don't show broadside
  • give proper lead
  • know my ranges 
  • know my enemy
  • situational awareness

One thing I have noticed since getting back - everyone seems to hug islands now... I mean... really... REALLY hug them.. and not just the Atlanta types... But even the open water cruisers and battleships. Even the destroyers.... best concealment?? lets stay here behind this island... Anyway... While this may be related to the CV changes a couple months ago, I see this in every match now not just carrier games.

I tend to go out and play as a tank... I know this has an adverse affect on my life expectancy... But if this is "the" reason - what's changed??? 

Losing streaks happen more often than winning streaks but they both come and go.  After a few losses switch up ships or play Scenario/co op, or just call it a night.

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

As someone who recently got back into the game as well, I might have a little insight. First, pulling your stats on wows-numbers shows that you're averaging 50k damage in your Montana over the last 7 days. That means that you need to work on choosing the correct targets and aiming (same problem I had). You're doing 25k less damage than you should be. There is also a chance that you're being overaggressive. Tanking doesn't work if you're the only one in the front lines. I suggest you drop to a lower tiers and practice on ships that do less damage to yours for a bit to warm up. 

Big tip: Always. Watch. The. Minimap. You'd be surprised how often it saves you from being overaggressive or how the team is forming up.

Members
80 posts
2,843 battles

I only have 10 games in the Montana, but whats worked for me....Punish those island campers severely with your spotter plane. Its one of the most effective and satisfying way to wrack up damage and kills. Its pretty hard to miss the citadels of motionless or near motionless ships. Use your great conceal to ambush the poor unsuspecting. Like with most BBs its taking the right shot at the right time...not just popping off every time you can. The Montana is exceptional at those mid range ambush deletions....and...Don't throw your ship away helping suicidal team mates. If your alive in the Montana you will do big damage and win a lot.

• Cool 1

[CTF70]
[CTF70]
Members
4,535 posts
13,963 battles
47 minutes ago, Rabe said:

• Don't show broadside
  • give proper lead
  • know my ranges 
  • know my enemy
  • situational awareness

Play to win, but don't play for stats.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,656 battles
3 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

You are getting old time to move on to another game that favors your years.

On the contrary; I like this game because save for some isolated situations I don't think it requires you to be twitchy. 

• Cool 1

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles
9 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

You are getting old time to move on to another game that favors your years.

Careful, you might cut yourself with all that edge.

[PIMPS]
Members
1,493 posts
2 minutes ago, 10T0nHammer said:

Which is possible since I am semi retired and shaky at times. My ninja knife wielding says are long past me now.

Edited by Chain_shot

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,420 posts
14,165 battles

Your mistake is playing the higher tiers when you are rusty. Drop down to tier 3 or 4 and knock that rust and barnacles off down there.

• Cool 2

Members
11 posts
3,294 battles
2 hours ago, 10T0nHammer said:

As someone who recently got back into the game as well, I might have a little insight. First, pulling your stats on wows-numbers shows that you're averaging 50k damage in your Montana over the last 7 days. That means that you need to work on choosing the correct targets and aiming (same problem I had). You're doing 25k less damage than you should be. There is also a chance that you're being overaggressive. Tanking doesn't work if you're the only one in the front lines. I suggest you drop to a lower tiers and practice on ships that do less damage to yours for a bit to warm up. 

Big tip: Always. Watch. The. Minimap. You'd be surprised how often it saves you from being overaggressive or how the team is forming up.

10T0nHammer, I'm glad you pointed damage out... It's been horrendous... I don't think it's as much of choosing the correct target but rather dying early. Which supports your point of being over-aggressive. Now that you mention it, I'm beginning to think it might be ~75% of the problem. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,336 posts
19,542 battles

If you see the enemy digging in behind a particular island or group of islands, don't approach it, try to go dark, sail sideways for a bit to improve your firing angle, and try to get them in a crossfire.

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles

Keep in mind that the high tier meta is different than mid and low tiers.

A week ago I also came back to the game after a year long break. My first couple of nights I played mid-tier ships (5-8), had some great matches, and felt like I was right back in the swing of things and was playing as well as I ever had. Then, last night, I moved up and played tiers 9 and 10(Alsace and Republique)....and absolutely crapped the bed. I was too aggressive and I was terrible.

You have to be extra vigilant about positioning and the minimap, and early match aggression is punished severely if not done with extreme care. All tier X ships are deadly and any mistakes will get you deleted. Patience is key. I had kind of forgotten this after my mid-tier success.

That said I'm not sure playing a bunch of lower tier matches are going to help - it's a different game at X.  if you want to play your Montana you have to adjust your playstyle to the meta and ships you are facing.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,479 posts
1 hour ago, 10T0nHammer said:

You know it's weird... that comment is nowhere in this thread. Deleted perhaps? 

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles
5 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You know it's weird... that comment is nowhere in this thread. Deleted perhaps? 

Looks like mods deleted it. Other poster also edited their response, it was much worse.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
737 posts
3,918 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Your mistake is playing the higher tiers when you are rusty. Drop down to tier 3 or 4 and knock that rust and barnacles off down there.

^^ That. Whenever I return to a game, whatever the game is, I always go for low level content to get the feel for the game again. Read forums, watch videos for meta-changes and whatnot. Start off slow.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
11,001 battles
3 hours ago, Rabe said:

everyone seems to hug islands now

yup, that is one thing. another is you are coming back into a whole lot of changes. detection changes, CVs, probably a few new ship lines. a ton of premium ships were added to the highest tiers in the last year. 

its going to take more than a few battles to wrap your head around it. welcome back.  and good luck

Members
11 posts
3,294 battles

Well, I played for the first time since starting this post. Here's the replay

https://replayswows.com/replay/58946

Also, the youtube of the replay.

https://youtu.be/IylYojqlQKA

I played more conservatively, survived the battle and I think that translated into high damage output.

After watching the replay I was questioning some of the things I did. I'll leave that for you to comment on, so I don't bootstrap any opinions. 

Please have a look at let me know what you think I can improve. Thanks for all your help!

[0456]
Members
3,608 posts
9,541 battles

A few things- really high level view stuff since positioning seemed reasonable to me.

1) premium consumables. 

2) are you actually scrolling in and out to zoom or is that just some replay camera stuff?

3) right mouse button to point guns in a direction while allowing you to free view around to maintain situational awareness. Allows you to look around and doesn’t make your guns shift off target area. 

Edited by _ENO_

Members
11 posts
3,294 battles
22 minutes ago, _ENO_ said:

A few things- really high level view stuff since positioning seemed reasonable to me.

1) premium consumables.

Roger that! I overlooked this boat.

2) are you actually scrolling in and out to zoom or is that just some replay camera stuff?

I do both scroll and shift to zoom.

3) right mouse button to point guns in a direction while allowing you to free view around to maintain situational awareness. Allows you to look around and doesn’t make your guns shift off target area. 

This is something replay doesn't show.. I do use right mouse button to keep guns on one side while i look around... I try to 'pre-position' guns too... but i think that's something worth working on.

Since you mentioned positioning... This map worked out... That's something I wish there was some resource available to discuss positioning. Cause I suck at it. 

Know any?

Edited by Rabe

[0456]
Members
3,608 posts
9,541 battles

I’d watch @Lord_Zath and his channel. He does great critiques for people who have troubles... the trick is sending him videos that aren’t games you know are good where everything works out with damage and a win- send him the ones where you thought you did the right thing but you died early, lost or something didn’t work out and you don’t know what it is. 

Members
105 posts
3,413 battles

Speaking as a vet WOT player focusing too hard on your stats -especially when you're getting back into the game after a while- is a great way to pick up smoking. Nothing wrong with watching yourself grow stat wise but that will take the wind out of you when you see teams with strange stat alignments. Nothing worse than a team damage padding for stats rather than attempting a cohesive game, especially when your ship or tank is team-dependent.

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Modder
737 posts
3,918 battles
4 minutes ago, QWERTYEel89 said:

Speaking as a vet WOT player focusing too hard on your stats -especially when you're getting back into the game after a while- is a great way to pick up smoking. Nothing wrong with watching yourself grow stat wise but that will take the wind out of you when you see teams with strange stat alignments. Nothing worse than a team damage padding for stats rather than attempting a cohesive game, especially when your ship or tank is team-dependent.

I had actually quit smoking, then I started playing WoT/WoWs/WoWp. So on that note, I'm gonna go outside for some 'fresh air' for a bit. lol. :Smile_hiding:

Members
105 posts
3,413 battles
14 minutes ago, Krautjaeger said:

I had actually quit smoking, then I started playing WoT/WoWs/WoWp. So on that note, I'm gonna go outside for some 'fresh air' for a bit. lol. :Smile_hiding:

I mean I didn't start smoking because of WOT, but if you're not careful you definitely break your record...especially if you're have too much time off.

[187]
Members
1,628 posts
11,693 battles
On 8/2/2019 at 8:53 AM, Rabe said:

• Don't show broadside
  • give proper lead
  • know my ranges 
  • know my enemy
  • situational awareness

Relax...your average welcome to reality!