You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
KnifeInUrNeck

Italian smoke

10 comments in this topic

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles

So it seems to me like Italians are meant to be cruiser assassins and depending on torps, BB assassins too. The smoke for them is actually pretty cool. Moving at full speed and not being able to be locked has surprising utility. It’s basically ninja smoke to either let you retreat to a safe range or go in for a torp dash or rush a cruiser with SAP rounds blazing. I kept expecting any turn at speed to reveal me for a second but it’s a full shroud. The SAP rounds as they are now don’t really seem to be for long range. The few games I played, they performed best up close. They will pen BBs but break on the belt I think. They work great on CVs and broadside cruisers. But the Italians have no effective attack for almost any angled ship. SAP bounce off of even light cruisers at angle. And BBs? At least there’s a quick reloading torps but only two each side. With no fires it’s going to take a lot of rounds to drop a BB. And then there’s the 10% damage of SAP rounds done to DDs but I didn’t get to try them on any DDs. Sooo cruiser assassins?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
1,226 posts
4,464 battles

Oooh I don't care. I just can't wait to dunk on things with 15 203s... Gonna FXP the whole line right to tier 10 asap.

1 minute ago, SYST3M_OVERIDE said:

I think WG isn't giving them HE since Abruzzi wasn't welcomed very well due to weak HE damage per shell.

Abruzzi is only hated on because people don't play her right. IFHE changes could F8ck her over though...

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PENND]
Members
355 posts
7,600 battles
Just now, Stand_Alone97 said:

Oooh I don't care. I just can't wait to dunk on things with 15 203s... Gonna FXP the whole line right to tier 10 asap.

Abruzzi is only hated on because people don't play her right. IFHE changes could F8ck her over though...

I didn't want to buy her but that's I got her in the Summer Sale VII and 2 VII crate bundle. She's an awesome ship for Narai.

[WMD]
Members
1,618 posts
9,704 battles
6 hours ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

So it seems to me like Italians are meant to be cruiser assassins and depending on torps, BB assassins too. The smoke for them is actually pretty cool. Moving at full speed and not being able to be locked has surprising utility. It’s basically ninja smoke to either let you retreat to a safe range or go in for a torp dash or rush a cruiser with SAP rounds blazing. I kept expecting any turn at speed to reveal me for a second but it’s a full shroud. The SAP rounds as they are now don’t really seem to be for long range. The few games I played, they performed best up close. They will pen BBs but break on the belt I think. They work great on CVs and broadside cruisers. But the Italians have no effective attack for almost any angled ship. SAP bounce off of even light cruisers at angle. And BBs? At least there’s a quick reloading torps but only two each side. With no fires it’s going to take a lot of rounds to drop a BB. And then there’s the 10% damage of SAP rounds done to DDs but I didn’t get to try them on any DDs. Sooo cruiser assassins?

Sounds like a straight improvement on RN CLs... might be interesting to see how it works out. 

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles

I hope they tune the SAP rounds but maybe the ships work better with a full captain and in higher tiers. I didn’t expect much from a T5 but even against other T5s it’s only really effective against cruisers.

[SCREW]
Members
364 posts
16,806 battles

The smoke cooldown on Italians is too long. Three minutes for a 25 sec active shroud just isn't working. Cut that in half and leave everything else alone and it should be fine. 

Members
8 posts
3,917 battles

I don't know, SAP seems really anemic to me so far.  I was hoping to trade fire chance for more reliable damage, but if the target is angled you really don't have any kind of answer.  Your torps are more like sea mines, all of your ammo needs a little broad side, and I've been having buggy smokes that don't conceal me at all.  If I wanted a cruiser assassin I'd probably use a Dakka DD instead.  Just as squishy and maneuverable, but viable torps and an answer to angling. 

Members
25 posts
8,105 battles

Yesterday I was in a match with an Italian cruiser, two clan mates on the other team, and we were all on teamspeak.    I was at a stop, them spotted.  I hit the gas, and when at about 10 knots, I hit the smoke.   15 seconds later I was dead, blown apart while smoking, not firing, moving slowly.   My clan mates were the closest, 10-11 km away, and  had a good line of sight.  They said my boat was visible the whole time, they never lost sight of my boat from the moment I was spotted, through the smoke, until I was sunk.    They could tell I was smoking, but I never disappeared.  My experience on Italian cruiser smoke is that it's bullsh*t.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Italian smoke that just highlites you and does not hide you?

Edited by Evil_Lincoln
additions

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
13,269 battles
1 hour ago, Evil_Lincoln said:

Yesterday I was in a match with an Italian cruiser, two clan mates on the other team, and we were all on teamspeak.    I was at a stop, them spotted.  I hit the gas, and when at about 10 knots, I hit the smoke.   15 seconds later I was dead, blown apart while smoking, not firing, moving slowly.   My clan mates were the closest, 10-11 km away, and  had a good line of sight.  They said my boat was visible the whole time, they never lost sight of my boat from the moment I was spotted, through the smoke, until I was sunk.    They could tell I was smoking, but I never disappeared.  My experience on Italian cruiser smoke is that it's bullsh*t.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Italian smoke that just highlites you and does not hide you?

I’ve NEVER noticed ANY ship’s smoke hide that ship from its teammates.