Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wepps

The Sky Cancer is Painful...

14 comments in this topic

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

I'm not anti-CV if anyone knows me. But playing a DD in coop sometimes is really just ridiculous.

I have watched as an airstrike halfway across the map flies directly at my DD when I am nowhere near the fight. When it finds me, and it always does, it never goes away. And when I finally shoot it down, the CV will send another. I have spent entire matches with planes circling overhead. I have steamed across large maps and found / killed the carrier, while shooting down 3 airstrikes completely, which have never damaged me.

Seems pointless. I see in my mind Strawberry 69 reporting back "MAIN BODY!" when it finds me, and just follows my little boat for 3 days.

We've got 5 battleships out there mess with them! Leave me alone dammit!

Edited by Wepps
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 4
  • Confused 1

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles

Those things can hardly hit you if you maneuver.  Bot CVs are so bad that everyone's been laughing about them.

Example here.

Shokaku had a hard on for my Daring, as you can see with the aircraft shot down.  No ordnance hit me.

Daring isn't all that as an AA DD, no Defensive Fire like Fletcher, Kidd, etc, and I didn't dump any points for AA traits.  Despite letting the bot CV camp my DD without me even trying to hide, nothing hit me.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts

Game last night, for some reason, the bot carrier got fixated on my DD... so I ended up with a ton of aircraft shot down and a bit of damage taken by just sailing in a circle behind an island as it threw aircraft at me... and I still got to torpedo a bot that came around the island. 

I'm as anti-rework-CV as they come... have been from the start... but so far the AI for the bot aircraft has all the weaknesses of the AI for the bot ships, and none of the strengths.  The AI for the bot aircraft truly is as bad as people think the AI for the bot ships is. 

[WHARF]
Members
249 posts
17,396 battles
1 hour ago, Wepps said:

I'm not anti-CV if anyone knows me. But playing a DD in coop sometimes is really just ridiculous.

I have watched as an airstrike halfway across the map flies directly at my DD when I am nowhere near the fight. When it finds me, and it always does, it never goes away. And when I finally shoot it down, the CV will send another. I have spent entire matches with planes circling overhead. I have steamed across large maps and found / killed the carrier, while shooting down 3 airstrikes completely, which have never damaged me.

Seems pointless. I see in my mind Strawberry 69 reporting back "MAIN BODY!" when it finds me, and just follows my little boat for 3 days.

We've got 5 battleships out there mess with them! Leave me alone dammit!

Strawberry 69...Main Body...how many know what that mean.....You might be showing your age...lol

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,977 posts
14,258 battles
2 hours ago, Wepps said:

I have watched as an airstrike halfway across the map flies directly at my DD when I am nowhere near the fight.

This is why you try not to travel alone. Keep within reasonably easy reach of a cruiser or battleship and bait them into its AA fire.  You can do that and still be effective, and the cruiser or BB captain will be grateful for the air kills they are accumulating.

[PVE]
Members
1,441 posts
39,223 battles

The bot CV likes to pick 1 ship and will keep on going after it most games.

I am getting 10+ plane kills in ships that with the old CVs I would maybe only get 1-4.

[_EASY]
Members
276 posts
13,385 battles

Let me see, how can I phrase this, in Co-op bot CV's absolutely suck.

As a DD main, I have found the actual CV is no threat.  The only threat they do pose is spotting for the other reds.  I maneuver not to avoid the bot planes, but the incoming shells from the red DD, Cruiser and BB beelining straight toward me.

And planes drop like flies.  Had a game like the OP, the CV was fixated on me the entire battle.  Almost no damage from the planes and I shot down 54 of them. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,020 posts
11,550 battles
3 hours ago, Wepps said:

As a player of all types, that'd play CV 24/7 if they'd get them right fora change - you now know what PvP DD players feel like and complain about. So on that front at least the bots are behaving the exact way a CV player would, minus possibly auto tracking - the CV player would need to be getting info from the team, use RPF and know how to use it pre plane launch or generally (don't use the skill personally so not sure if can still be seen when flying planes), or understand how to use plane being spotted as pseudo-RPF.

Players in PvP do the exact same thing as A: DD's are too large a threat now that we can not actively maneuver properly while attacking them if they spot us, B: are typically the one ship that has AA in many cases our planes can get through (and if these fools make the changes proposed for 8.7 that's likely to become 10x worse because the Man AA skill is being redesigned so low AA ships will be more effective at air defense - so naturally everything with more than that will be even more freaking devastating) and C: they are the hardest to spot is and biggest threat to the team overall. And despite what players think as most don't play CV's it may not be as hard against a DD that's dumb enough to have long range AA on or on the starter 24x24 km maps but most of the 36x36-48x48 km maps at best it can be a challenge if the DD actually hides because you basically have to be on top of it to spot it. Even cut that larger map in half your having to search 50 squares that are 4.8 km by 4.8 km each for something you have to be within about 2 km - so keeping it lit and taking it out fast becomes that much more a priority.

Now add in airstrikes that can damage you and easily take out engine/rudder. Why they need to unnerf rocket aim time and accuracy but take the damage down and improve the HP of engine and rudder modules on DD's, as well as find a proper solution to AA damage for them and maybe go to map spotting only save for CV itself.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,702 posts

If you travel in a straight line and constant speed, the bot CV has a much better chance of hitting you.

If you try to do the Rando-special moves (sit in one spot behind a rock, the "peekaboom" dance, etc) the bot CV has an easy target and will nail you. 

Basically, doing anything to make the bot planes have to change direction to aim at you is going to make them miss most of the time. 

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
4 hours ago, taberuco said:

Mate... are you having troubles with post 8.5 CVs... played by a bot?

Only the *I already know where you are and am going to camp on top of you all day* bullspit development....

I honestly am not sure any carrier has even hit me yet. In any ship.

Edited by Wepps

[WOLF3]
Members
26,967 posts
23,767 battles
6 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If you travel in a straight line and constant speed, the bot CV has a much better chance of hitting you.

If you try to do the Rando-special moves (sit in one spot behind a rock, the "peekaboom" dance, etc) the bot CV has an easy target and will nail you. 

Basically, doing anything to make the bot planes have to change direction to aim at you is going to make them miss most of the time. 

I want to add detail why maneuvering is so effective against the bot CVs, especially for anyone that hasn't played Post-CV Rework Carriers.

When a squad starts its attack run, the drop pattern for the rockets / bombs / torps starts off wide.  If the unit is doing turns, that stops or greatly slows down the drop pattern's narrowing effect.  Some units are more extreme than others, like how slow USN TB squads narrow their drops on Midway.  By simple constant maneuvering, what even regular players do against PLAYER CVs, the bots are constantly adjusting and their drop patterns never truly narrow or focus.  The PLAYER CV counters this by predicting where the target will be, aiming for there, let the squad "steady out" for several seconds to narrow the drop pattern, and then drop ordnance.  The bot CV doesn't do that, it's constantly shifting its aim as the target maneuvers, so if one is doing a lot of maneuvering it throws the bot aim completely off.

It is why even a Yamato can juke most of the drops from a bot CV.  It took training room tests with my sh*t AA Yamato against THREE TIER X CVs at the same time to have them get some hits against me, even then, I started the training room test and sailed all around to take a cap on the way and kill the bot CVs at the other end of the map, all while dealing with constant air attacks.  A lot of the air attacks miss.  The most telling are the TBs as they all are dropping their torps in an outward "V" pattern instead of a narrow, precise drop that a player CV would do.  That's an indicator that the squad never had a chance to steady itself and narrow the drop pattern.

If 3 Tier X CVs focusing on a big fat Yamato with sh*t AA struggle to get hits, this isn't going to be too much of a problem in the typical 8-man Co-op games.  There are also no Operations where you are dealing with the power of THREE Tier X Carriers.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,884 posts
9,912 battles
5 hours ago, Wepps said:

Only the *I already know where you are and am going to camp on top of you all day* bullspit development....

I honestly am not sure any carrier has even hit me yet. In any ship.

The difference between that and all the BB's & Cruisers nearby coming at you is the CV can't damage you at all, you kill its squadron within seconds & the next squadron they send consists of 2 planes at the most.

Camp on top of you?  Are you just sitting the cap and doing nothing?

This isn't cancer - its a mild fart passing on the breeze.

Edited by Anonymous50

[TDRB]
Members
5,118 posts
13,727 battles

In Coops my DD's are not having any problems with CV's. I'm not saying you are not, only that I have not experienced any.

Sign in to follow this