Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CrazyHorse_Denver

I didn't even scratch the paint...

15 comments in this topic

Members
1,431 posts
17,120 battles

I'm OK with the concept of DDs being the sacrificial lambs of the fleet so that getting blown out of the water when I'm in one doesn't surprise me. If I survive the entire game in a DD it's usually with only a handful of HP left. The lowest I've survived with was in my Isokaze with just 17 points left on her.

This game will be one of those a player remembers. I charged into the first cap and was in the middle of the action for almost the whole game and it was like I had a force field around me. Plenty of main and secondary shells fired my way and I even had to dodge a spread of torps but nothing touched me.

A very strange game.:Smile_child:

shot-19_08.01_21_21.05-0753.thumb.jpg.c53f18d4b5bd5289875df8cc4368c777.jpgshot-19_08.01_21_20_20-0247.thumb.jpg.4c4a711cba93365b1e4bc9e2dedffe8c.jpgshot-19_08.01_21_21.22-0605.thumb.jpg.c7e9a7d2490e2885b9ebfffaec085bb4.jpg

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver
  • Cool 2

Members
3,679 posts
8,104 battles

Not exactly the most exciting or impactful game ever, but finish a tier X game in a knife fighter such as Lo Yang without taking taking any damage is indeed quite a feat. 

Still, I think I should encourage you to take necessary risks instead of just trying to preserve your hitpoints, especially in a ship like the Lo Yang with so much potential to change the course of a battle.

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,169 battles
1 hour ago, The_first_harbinger said:

...especially in a ship like the Lo Yang with so much potential to change the course of a battle.

Now when I drive it; :Smile_sceptic: to me it's just another in a long line of ships that never came close to equalling their reputations.

Members
1,431 posts
17,120 battles
2 hours ago, bobby_scott05 said:

God Hack?

A definite possibility. I'll never scoff again at those who pay homage to the RNGesus. There was something far beyond my  average skills and abilities that was keeping me from getting hit.:Smile_amazed:

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles

Sorry but I'm having difficulty reconciling the idea of "Plenty of main and secondary shells fired my way and I even had to dodge a spread of torps but nothing touched me." with less than 50k of potential damage.  A DD can rack up 500k to a million potential damage in a particularly exciting game.  50k potential tells me you weren't actually being shot at nearly as much as you think you were.

Edited by Brhinosaurus

Members
1,431 posts
17,120 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Never even fired your guns for the whole game?

My DD play style makes me more of a torpedo main than a gun main. I like to stay dark as long as possible or go dark as quickly as possible; a DD's guns tend to make that hard to do. I will use a DD's guns but only if I can do so safely or I have no other option.

1 hour ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Sorry but I'm having difficulty reconciling the idea of "Plenty of main and secondary shells fired my way and I even had to dodge a spread of torps but nothing touched me." with less than 50k of potential damage.  A DD can rack up 500k to a million potential damage in a particularly exciting game.  50k potential tells me you weren't actually being shot at nearly as much as you think you were.

Well if we're going to cribble over the use of the word "plenty" I'm using it in the sense that there was enough ordinance fired at me to destroy any 3 Lo Yangs. Would it have been more impressive had the potential damage been twice as much or more...it certainly would have been but I'll enjoy my victory as unimpressive as you may think it was. Also as mentioned in the above quote answer it is my play style to stay dark and go dark as long as possible; a DD tactic that keeps potential damage numbers low. I'm not one of those in your face DD drivers that dares you to shoot at them and try to hit them.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver

[R-F]
Members
1,787 posts
10,853 battles
3 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

Well if we're going to cribble over the use of the word "plenty" I'm using it in the sense that there was enough ordinance fired at me to destroy any 3 Yo Langs. Would it have been more impressive had the potential damage been twice as much or more...it certainly would have been but I'll enjoy my victory as unimpressive as you may think it was. Also as mentioned in the above quote answer it is my play style to stay dark and go dark as long as possible; a DD tactic that keeps potential damage numbers low. I'm not one of those in your face DD drivers that dares you to shoot at them and try to hit them.

Sorry I'd didn't mean to suggest I was arguing with your assertion that you had a good game because clearly you did.  It just seems like your good game was more about you staying hidden or otherwise not being worth shooting at, rather than tons of stuff shooting at you and missing as you described.  

Members
1,431 posts
17,120 battles
12 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Sorry I'd didn't mean to suggest I was arguing with your assertion that you had a good game because clearly you did.  It just seems like your good game was more about you staying hidden or otherwise not being worth shooting at, rather than tons of stuff shooting at you and missing as you described.  

No problem, the whole point of the post was how unusual it is to have a good game in a DD and not take any damage at all. It wasn't about any particular set of numbers. Things like the potential damage from the torps would have gone to the BB team mate they were fired at even though if my reaction time had been 1/2 a second slower I would have eaten one.

[CVA16]
Members
5,386 posts
16,187 battles
31 minutes ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

My DD play style makes me more of a torpedo main than a gun main. I like to stay dark as long as possible or go dark as quickly as possible; a DD's guns tend to make that hard to do. I will use a DD's guns but only if I can do so safely or I have no other option.

I tend to do the same, but I can't remember any recent games where I survived into until late match and never had cause to plink a few rounds, even in my smokeless Shiratsuyu .  Loyang has OK (not great) guns and does have smoke. Seems a waste not to use them. I do note there were a few radars on the red team making sitting in smoke hazardous.

Sign in to follow this