You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

The Roar of the Jaguar

26 comments in this topic

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts

Has anyone gotten this little DD yet? I've taken it out once, after elite XPing my commander to a 10 point. I think it has potential at its level. I have 6.3 km detection and 8 km torpedoes. I notice too that it's a speedy little rascal.

image.png.1e46697b8884a32f32f9507716bc9545.png

It doesn't have smoke but it seems hard to hit. I survived this match, even though I played mostly as a gunboat. It's guns seem to reload fast and reach out there for a tier V. What are your views on it?

• Cool 1

Members
1,872 posts

It's a monster. Set it up with BFT and AFT, and BBQ BB's alive from 14kms away.

I constantly get games over 100,000 damage in it. It'll probably get nerfed one day! LOL :)

The problem is the player base can't wrap their head around it. They think that DD's MUST have smoke, torps, and never be seen to be survivable. They're stuck in the past...

If you know how to Khaba, you know how to Jaguar :)

Edited by ElectroVeeDub
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PIMPS]
Members
1,483 posts

I've got the Jag and in my opinion I still think the Russian DD's do it better.

Edited by Chain_shot

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,393 posts
14,152 battles

I have both the Jaguar and the Guepard and even with the stock three point captain they are fun. They are like a CA and a DD had a love child and a small CL was the result.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
14 posts
13,819 battles

Why can't they keep the key mapping for consumables consistent though? T for speed boost instead of smoke, while I madly push Y wondering why it doesn't work. Old habits die hard

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts
3 minutes ago, Airfaye said:

Why can't they keep the key mapping for consumables consistent though? T for speed boost instead of smoke, while I madly push Y wondering why it doesn't work. Old habits die hard

I have this problem too when I change ships. It would be nice if WG were to standardize the hotkeys.

Members
1,872 posts
49 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

I would rather have a Podvoisky over a Jaguar. It's even faster. But admittedly the Jaguar is far more tanky with that hull damage saturation bonus thingy. And I think the Jaguar has an ever greater firing  range than the Podvoisky even with AFT, BFT.

Still... they're surprisingly solid DD's regardless of all the hate they receive.

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Has anyone gotten this little DD yet? I've taken it out once, after elite XPing my commander to a 10 point. I think it has potential at its level. I have 6.3 km detection and 8 km torpedoes. I notice too that it's a speedy little rascal.

It doesn't have smoke but it seems hard to hit. I survived this match, even though I played mostly as a gunboat. It's guns seem to reload fast and reach out there for a tier V. What are your views on it?

It's junk and will be sold as soon as the patch hits....

Spoiler

j7OAmzg.png

Generally early access ships out perform......

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts
7 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's junk and will be sold as soon as the patch hits....

Reveal hidden contents

j7OAmzg.png

Generally early access ships out perform......

image.thumb.png.d1f663fb41a9219dcd5aa9420405c321.png

I'm enjoying it. It doesn't have squat for AA though. I literally shot at planes for the entire match and downed one.

Edited by Snargfargle

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,393 posts
14,152 battles
1 hour ago, Airfaye said:

We complained about that back in alpha. For whatever reason they see no problem with that.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
17,695 battles

First game in Jaguar... ugh. Second game... wow! All it took was deciding to play it like a Russian DD. Those 8-km torps are a nasty surprise for many at that tier. And the guns are not bad at all, really. Decent torps, decent guns, excellent speed and maneuverability, and damage reduction... an excellent trade for smoke, imo. Wasn't sure how I would feel about them. But after two games, I say "fun."

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts

Well, we tried. Cant blame the Jag for the loss though. 

image.thumb.png.b3eba6f5fc33f9c62c98c9f0d8a4cc06.png

Did me some CV hunting too.

image.thumb.png.fcde1a5e459dce19fd5af88f7923d4ba.png

We might have won, had our CV not kept dropping torps too close for them to arm, time and time again, and our remaining BB not decided to sail broadside to two BBs and shoot HE at them. I came so close to getting a third kill but the Omaha took me out with a final shot exchange. One more shot and I would have got him.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
637 posts
72 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Heres my review of the ship and some tips and tricks. I will put up another review today of the T6 Geupard and that ships is a Beast!!

Edited by Oldschool_Gaming_YT

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,595 posts
1 minute ago, Oldschool_Gaming_YT said:

Heres my review of the ship and some tips and tricks. I will put up another review today of the T6 Geupard and that ships is a Beast!!

Thanks!

[SIM]
Members
4,918 posts
7,991 battles

I own a seven kill game in the thing now. For better or worse, it's a light cruiser that occupies a DD slot on the team.

[187]
Members
1,628 posts
11,631 battles
9 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I have this problem too when I change ships. It would be nice if WG were to standardize the hotkeys.

AMEN

[KRAK]
Members
3,711 posts
21,718 battles
11 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I have it and the only complaint I have with it is the gun arcs are ridiculous for something that is a gunboat. They have gun arcs like USN DDs.

[DTB]
Members
264 posts
12 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

Possibly. But I'm running a 12 point captain in my Russian BB line while my jaguar's still only got a 4 pointer.

The Anshan does it worse than both though - no matter how many points its got.

Beta Testers
252 posts
3,556 battles
13 hours ago, Airfaye said:

I have this issue too.  I have a ship where I'll started Defensive AA instead of Boost.  Smoke and Boost should always be their respectful letter, while Defensive AA, Rapid Fire, or Active Sonar should be rotated.

I wasn't planning on keeping the Jaguar but it seems nice.  Turns a bit slow but it does cruise.  I also managed to get the tier six ship which I want to keep for operations, hence why I'm not planning on keeping the Jaguar.

And yeah, French DD line isn't so much about capping or even deep strikes.  They need to be able to maneuver and be able to disengage from a target in order to survive.  It does seem to do great at punishing targets that are focused at a friendly on the opposite bow/stern.  Or really focused at firing at a closer friendly.  

I'd say my biggest issues are just knowing when to fall back (from lack of support) or to stop firing my guns and go stealth.  Torpedoes, while okay, I tend to launch more as "area denial".  Some of my best games in them so far, I have a slow start in earning damage, from holding my fire.  When everyone is emersed in the battle, that's time to run amuck and let loose with those guns.

Beta Testers
252 posts
3,556 battles
14 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

You probably think that because of the flatter arcs the Russian DD's have.  The French DD's don't have the US high arcs but they are lobbed a little.  Which does still give it the ability to shoot over small islands and friendly ships, where a Russian could not.