You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

My thoughts on this regrind mess

19 comments in this topic

Members
2,419 posts
5,355 battles

I’m going to set it to you straight. I have spent more money (not whale money) but up to $500 on this game with santa crates, year premium, and some premium ships here and there. Hell i even spent about $80 to get the Irian with special captain and camo. 

It shows through my financial contribution that i like this game and enjoy playing it (even if random derp teams piss me off sometimes). 

With that being said....there is no way in hell that i will regrind 5lines for 1 ship. That is beyond crazy! Only a very select few might throw down 100s of bucks for 1 of 2 ships. I really don’t know what you were thinking with this, because mostly everyone hates it. I would had considered maybe regrinding 2 lines at the most, but that is the max and worse case scenario on my end.

why cant you come up with some novel ideas like better camo? A crap ton of flags or some type of prestige reward (that shows up in game and on forums) that lets people know you regrind a line? Entice people with good rewards with 1 one regrind instead of 5!!!!

It takes some people years to get 5 lines. Sorry my two cents....

Edited by Legio_X_
  • Cool 11

[WOLFC]
Members
690 posts
25,461 battles

It seems to me that the re-branded Naval Training Center (Call it what you want, WG, it will always be NTC to me.) is designed for people with the combination of skill, time and money to make grinding entire ship lines at least 4 times tolerable. I certainly don't fall into that category. I wonder what percentage of the player base does. I guess WG will eventually find out.

So long as WG doesn't try to sneak ship buffs back into the NTC as rewards I'm happy to ignore it's existence and patiently wait for new content I actually care about.

• Cool 4

[--K--]
Members
5,363 posts
17,344 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

The regrind idea didn't go away? Sorry out of pocket and haven't read the latest news.

Do you expect WG to create something that isn't a painful mind numbing grind to get something? 

• Cool 2

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Do you expect WG to create something that isn't a painful mind numbing grind to get something? 

WoWs is not actually that grindy all things considered.

Especially compared to other games.

• Cool 1

Members
80 posts
2,843 battles

As long as they aren't so overpowered that they ruin T10 clan battles and ranked why should we care? If whales want to subsidize the game with its nonstop events and other content how is that bad for the rest of us? Its not like this is some asian mmo money grab. They pour time, effort, and money into this game...Even if often its misguided.

• Cool 3

[DRAH]
Members
367 posts
9,093 battles

My thoughts on the regrind are that Wargaming are looking for ANYTHING that will keep long time players interested. This to me suggests that the current run of new ship lines must be going to dry up soonish. It also suggests that none of the ideas they are playing with internally to rejuvenate gameplay and inspire people to keep playing (Submarines, PvP scenarios etc) are anywhere near being ready for deployment in the next 12-24 months. Thus in an attempt to retain playerbase they have turned to incentivized regrinding as something they CAN deliver in the meantime.

[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,744 battles

There are plenty of players with nearly the same amount or more games than I have but I do have a considerable amount under my belt. That being said, there is very little to do in this game with all Tier 10s unlocked and purchased.

Savage Battles - Not really that great because it felt so disconnected from the main game.

Benham grind - Literally turned the game into a part time job just getting daily missions done for 24 days. Wasnt really worth it or that engaging of an event.

Ranked - I dont rank out, I usually end at 5 the last few seasons. It's a ton of work for little reward and has become really redundant and toxic.

Clan Battles - Half interesting just because playing with my clan as a large group is fun. However, it also gets redundant.

French Flakes - Also a ton of work for a little reward. After all these games I have a crap load of ships. It's just easier to do in Co-op which isnt as fun or engaging as randoms.

Directives- If you play a lot like I do, it might not take more than 2 days to complete them before waiting nearly a week for more.

I think the idea of playing back through some lines might be fun. I dont feel as invested in my low tier games because I already have all the ships. Doing well, ok, or even poorly has very little impact on anything anymore because I'm not trying to make the next move up on the line or anything. If I'm at least aiming to move back up the line I'll have a reason to do well and use up all these camos/flags for experiences bonuses I've accumulated. Even these early access ships, like the French and Russian releases, really cut into having anything to do.

I think it's a decent idea for someone like me but I dont think it appeals to potatoes or people who play far more casually because they haven't unlocked everything and done it all yet.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,573 posts
15,629 battles
36 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I will be honest. I really like the product WG has offered in WoW. I am a really big fan. I am usually defending WoW/WG in their decisions, except NTC. I know they are very pro community building. I just really really feel this is not the direction to go.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,461 posts
33 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Actually my friend... I'd like to see them create something which made players happy, opened players wallets and didn't monkey with mechanics again, again and again. It's my not-so-humble opinion they are completely missing the entire goal of making money.

Least amount of work on their part but most amount of satisfaction on player side. 

Since we know they're not capable of doing this (as they clearly demonstrate with every new announcement) I wish I cold argue your point but I cannot. 

You are spot on. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
1 hour ago, Legio_X_ said:

It takes some people years to get 5 lines. Sorry my two cents....

Yes very good points little Legio.

It's an idea that has been used in online games before, certainly not a bad one either. The example they have here currently though is too much for too little. 

[HINON]
Members
3,254 posts
26,511 battles

I have neither the time or the desire to regrind any line. To me it just seems like a crazy, tedious, boring, unrewarding thing to do. Every line has their tech tree gems and I love to take those out into randoms and train captains especially for them, but to regrind an entire line? and then do 4 more? I'll pass.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,711 posts
2 hours ago, Almedius said:

As long as they aren't so overpowered that they ruin T10 clan battles and ranked why should we care?

You should care because of what might be hidden behind this regrind system in the future, once they get the masses used to the idea.

You should care because WG is not being honest about the reason for implementing this system -- and being lied to, and treated as if you'll believe a blatant lie, should offend you.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2

[NH]
Members
1,760 posts

When I dont do something in the game I feel like im missing out. Like missing out on the Hill. This time though unless the ship is insane OP im really not going to get worked up over it.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,983 posts
14,220 battles

I actually like this idea.  First off no one is forced to do this.  Secondly it would be fun....I have every T10 except the Russian BB and ahem "cough", CVs (none)   There is little motivation to stay playing the game like I used to...I play my Vlad to get the T10, I play some Savage (I like) and now, get rid of "flakes" in co-op (done now)  What do I do then?  I play some of my fav ships...maybe a couple of games and I call it a night.  Re doing a line has appeal if the rewards are worth it... I mean if  you REALLY like this game, then who cares if it takes a month per line per nation... something to do in a game I LIKE....   I think its a good idea...it will help keep populations up in all tiers for a quite a while... AND it will be fun to see if I can improve my stats on those early ships when I was noobing it up.  I liked the flake event, even if its just co-op, it was fun playing ships I rarely play....so this re doing of the lines should be fun as LONG as there is not time limit on this...

Play one match, get your bonus, go play another in another line your working on....how can it not be fun??  Unless you really do not like this game as much as  you think... Can't wait to get my Kawachi again "chuckle, chuckle"  :)

• Cool 1

Members
925 posts
5,110 battles
16 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

I actually like this idea.  First off no one is forced to do this.  Secondly it would be fun....I have every T10 except the Russian BB and ahem "cough", CVs (none)   There is little motivation to stay playing the game like I used to...I play my Vlad to get the T10, I play some Savage (I like) and now, get rid of "flakes" in co-op (done now)  What do I do then?  I play some of my fav ships...maybe a couple of games and I call it a night.  Re doing a line has appeal if the rewards are worth it... I mean if  you REALLY like this game, then who cares if it takes a month per line per nation... something to do in a game I LIKE....   I think its a good idea...it will help keep populations up in all tiers for a quite a while... AND it will be fun to see if I can improve my stats on those early ships when I was noobing it up.  I liked the flake event, even if its just co-op, it was fun playing ships I rarely play....so this re doing of the lines should be fun as LONG as there is not time limit on this...

Play one match, get your bonus, go play another in another line your working on....how can it not be fun??  Unless you really do not like this game as much as  you think... Can't wait to get my Kawachi again "chuckle, chuckle"  :)

Forgive me but you're in the vast minority. The population isn't going anywhere especially as this half baked idea is an either all in or all out event, there is no reward otherwise so most people are just going to opt out. Simply put, there are very few players like yourself that are left twiddling their thumbs and even of that small percentage how many are open to a /respec and a rush grind of multiple lines? 

1 hour ago, Almedius said:

As long as they aren't so overpowered that they ruin T10 clan battles and ranked why should we care? If whales want to subsidize the game with its nonstop events and other content how is that bad for the rest of us? Its not like this is some asian mmo money grab. They pour time, effort, and money into this game...Even if often its misguided.

There is already CB, already ranked, did we really need more resources wasted on yet another system that caters to a tiny niche?

I rather they just slap a $400 price tag on these ships and be done with it and put the development resources to something that everyone can partake in and feel like they're both rewarded and having fun.

Edited by ksix

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,983 posts
14,220 battles
1 minute ago, ksix said:

Forgive me but you're in the vast minority. The population isn't going anywhere especially as this half baked idea is an either all in or all out event, there is no reward otherwise. Simply put, there are very few players like yourself that are left twiddling their thumbs and even of that small percentage how many are open to a /respec and a rush grind of multiple lines? 

I can forgive you, but you got some stats to back that up?   I think a decent amount of players that have their lines complete would replay...I mean why wouldn't you??  Lets you enjoy the game with a goal...or sit and twiddle your thumbs replaying premiums or what ever...   There are only so many ship lines left to do.... its a decent idea and if your not done with your lines you probably won't do it... you will keep GRINDING that line...sheesh.

[ANKER]
[ANKER]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
574 posts
12,862 battles

Why not just offer all the ships in a grinding way. That way players can choose which road to take. Put all the content on the table and let the players have access to it but in a way that is equal to the ships worth. Why retread tires when you can provide the roads needed for all skill levels. 

Currency should be interchangeable from arc to arc etc.  

0 posts
1 hour ago, Rumple010 said:

It seems to me that the re-branded Naval Training Center (Call it what you want, WG, it will always be NTC to me.) is designed for people with the combination of skill, time and money to make grinding entire ship lines at least 4 times tolerable.

let me correct this for you.

1 hour ago, Rumple010 said:

It seems to me that the re-branded Naval Training Center (Call it what you want, WG, it will always be NTC to me.) is designed for people with the money to make grinding entire ship lines at least 4 times tolerable.

And that really is the purpose of the NTC reset/regrind, all ship xp is stacked on the tier 1, conveniently at hand for frustrated players to convert to free xp, for cash.

Naturally, we will want to flatter ourselves, and pretend our skills and efforts... But we are liars.