You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tikonderoga17

Let's design our own Research Bureau (aka Constructive Feedback)

14 comments in this topic

Members
41 posts
4,370 battles

I understand it's probably too late to make another rework of Research Bureau, but what I WG would directly asked players how they want to see thing like NTC / RB implemented?

That's my attempt to be "lead game designer for a day".

Task: Design a new feature which:

1. Won't be really hard in implementation, won't require major code changes and re-balancing of in-game parameters;
  2. Will motivate players to play more, using existing content (so no new game modes, no new ships, etc);
  3. Will provide a reason to play low and middle-tier ships (which is important for game's health);
  4. Will work as effective sink for silver, doubloon and FXP;
  5. Will be mostly if not completely optional (i.e. won't be mandatory for competitive players);
  6. Will provide "sense of achievement" for participants;
  7. Won't cause no major inconveniences for players;
  8. Should allow expansion in the future (seasons).

Solution:

For lack of the better word, we'll call it "Paragon system".
In this system, as soon as player researched T10 ship in a branch, he can assign "Paragon status" for the whole line. For premium ships it can be done anytime for 20%* of ship's price in doubloons.

* All coefficients and numbers, like 20% here, are for illustrative purposes only. Real values can vary.

As soon as ship get Paragon status, it can be enhanced multiple times, earning Paragon levels, or Stars. Each star requires some resources (we'll stick to term Research Point or RP for simplicity's sake) to unlock and brings certain non-performance benefits to a ship.

Example of such rewards for stars earned for a ship:
1 star: Pennant with number of stars, indicating current Paragon level of the ship, -5% cost to repair service
2 stars: +20% commander XP
3 stars: pseudo-premium status - an ability to assign any commander without retraining
4 stars: paying price of reqular permanent camo, player can add new customized permanent camo with same bonuses as regular one has, but with any camo pattern existing in a game
5 stars: custom shell traces can be bought for doubloons
6 stars: free premium consumables

etc.

Not all tiers of rewards will be open at the start of Paragon system. We'll start with only first 3 stars available and will add one more for each new season. We can also add stars 7, 8, etc. later.

So how these rewards can be earned?

Here comes re-grind.

As soon as player assigned Paragon status for a branch, it can buy combat missions for this branch in the Paragon store. These missions are available for T5-T9 ships only and need to be purchased and completed in sequence: i.e. you can buy mission for T6 ship only when you completed mission for T5 ship, and so on.

Price for each mission equal to cost of the ship in silver.

Mission requires earning certain amount of XP on the ship, so it will require player to use middle-tier ships. At any time after first win on the ship, player can spend FXP equal to remaining amount of XP needed and complete mission. That will give a reward for a mission and will allow to move to next level mission. The higher the mission level, the better the reward. As soon as T9 mission is completed, T5 mission became available again, so player can start second round of re-grinding. And so on, and so on, paying silver and spending XP or FXP in process.

Completing such missions will give Research Points, which can be used for open Paragon levels or Stars for any ship with Paragon status. See example of rewards above.

That's pretty much it.

Let's see did we managed to meet our requirements:

1. Won't be really hard in implementation, won't require major code changes and re-balancing of in-game parameters - complete. We will need one new store, one new currency and some UI changes.
  2. Will motivate players to play more, using existing content - complete. No major content development required.
  3. Will provide a reason to play low and middle-tier ships - complete. By playing T5-T9 ships player will be rewarded and if he needs better rewards, he needs to play whole branch, not just one favorite ship.
  4. Will work as effective silver, doubloon and FXP sink - complete. Silver will need to be spent to buy combat missions. Doubloons will need to spent to unlock paragon status for premium ships and to purchase custom camo (or other things). FPX can be spent in order to finish combat mission without actually playing the ship again.
  5. Will be mostly if not completely optional - complete. Won't give performance benefits such as ship upgrades or OP ships.
  6. Will provide "sense of achievement" for participants - complete. Having pennant with 5 stars on it will mean you really love that ship and you spent time on it. Same as showing up pink permanent camo and lightning tracers on your Leander.
  7. Won't cause no major inconveniences for players - complete. Players won't need to loose their favorite ships just in time for next Ranked Season, won't need to loose access to any ships at all.
  8. Should allow expansion in the future - complete. We can add new seasons with new rewards for 4-5-6, etc. stars.

The biggest problem will be finding good balance between efforts and rewards. I didn't think much about it, but it can be done.

I'm pretty sure that's not the only one "alternative to NTC/RB" we can have and some other ideas can be much better and easier to balance.

It's just an example of "being nice and provide constructive feedback" and I hope it will be heard by developers.

Edited by Tikonderoga17
  • Cool 8

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,956 posts
7,724 battles

Simple solution. Let players get a mission chain that requires you to play the ship line in order with the requirement to get to the next mission the chain be to acquire base XP equal to the cost of the ship and all modules plus earn the silver amount to fully kit the ship out. If people can do this system without selling there ships no one is going to care. If you ask the majority of people, no one wants to sell your port for this.

• Cool 2

[TASC]
Members
412 posts
9,657 battles

nice idea sir, i can see a few things that might need tweeked but a nice workable plan that i would do. 

as i don't see myself doing the NTC/RB thing as it stands. 

what i don't get is why WG has a problem with prople having free XP and or silver that they earned. if they gave us something to spend it on that was worth the time it took to get we would spend it. 

like flag and cammo sets for grinding $ or xp for ships , or capt XP, ect. a mix of these in the shop for gold and the armoury for silver and Free XP would work. but only if they stop coming out with free XP ships that people save for now. 

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,542 battles

Do whatever they want with it as long as

• It does NOT buff ships and make them better than the same ship others have as they suggested in original NTC. Horrid idea and should remain dead.
  • NO special ships for those who do it like we have now with Colbert and Ohio. Stop gating ships people want behind special resources that require playing modes people dislike, doing things people dislike, or that only a select few have a shot at. It's WRONG!

There are TONS of things they could do with it cosmetically and resource wise while leaving ships themselves out of it.

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles

It's a place to start, and it beat the ever-loving HELL out of the debacle in progress that WG is pushing...

Matt

0 posts

none of this makes money for WG, which is the real reason behind the stupid reset & grind idea. WG expects competitive CW whales, time whales, wallet whales and stat padding whales to spend money on converting xp to free xp to re research the tech trees, these same players have (quite possibly) already spent real world cash on, converting xp to free xp! Forum whales are not concerned, thankfully.

confused? you are meant to be.

Members
41 posts
4,370 battles
3 hours ago, LoveBote said:

one of this makes money for WG, which is the real reason behind the stupid reset & grind idea

Well...

6 hours ago, Tikonderoga17 said:

Will work as effective silver, doubloon and FXP sink - complete. Silver will need to be spent to buy combat missions. Doubloons will need to spent to unlock paragon status for premium ships and to purchase custom camo (or other things). FPX can be spent in order to finish combat mission without actually playing the ship again.

Silver, doubloons and FXP are all being sold and make money for WG.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
3 hours ago, LoveBote said:

none of this makes money for WG, which is the real reason behind the stupid reset & grind idea.

^^ Absolutely what this entire NTC/Paragon/Research Bureau/Whatever boils down to.  Everything else is just pretense, fluff, details to that end.

I'm all for making a business successful.  But when you try justifying such ideas by dangling potentially game-breaking extra-OP ships as a prize for veteran players, requiring fundamentally flawed "balancing" devices throughout the rest of the game for everyone else just to compensate, then the whole thing comes off as lazy and not well thought-out.

NTC is a turd of an idea.  It was a turd of an idea then and it still is now.  Calling it something else and applying new spin when describing it doesn't change anything.

There must be other ways WG can generate revenue without irrevocably damaging the game and alienating players.  Given their long history of not only promoting bad ideas but also presuming to suggest that we'll think favorably of them, I doubt WG even feels a need to explore this.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,155 posts
11,036 battles
7 hours ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

Simple solution. Let players get a mission chain that requires you to play the ship line in order with the requirement to get to the next mission the chain be to acquire base XP equal to the cost of the ship and all modules plus earn the silver amount to fully kit the ship out. If people can do this system without selling there ships no one is going to care. If you ask the majority of people, no one wants to sell your port for this.

This would be a simple and elegant solution.  However you also need to build in a way to exchange FXP or credits /coal to sped up the progress. WG is looking for a Currency sink

[INTEL]
Members
13,072 posts
36,072 battles
8 hours ago, Maine_ARC_1 said:

good idea.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
2,956 posts
7,724 battles
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

^^ Absolutely what this entire NTC/Paragon/Research Bureau/Whatever boils down to.  Everything else is just pretense, fluff, details to that end.

I'm all for making a business successful.  But when you try justifying such ideas by dangling potentially game-breaking extra-OP ships as a prize for veteran players, requiring fundamentally flawed "balancing" devices throughout the rest of the game for everyone else just to compensate, then the whole thing comes off as lazy and not well thought-out.

NTC is a turd of an idea.  It was a turd of an idea then and it still is now.  Calling it something else and applying new spin when describing it doesn't change anything.

There must be other ways WG can generate revenue without irrevocably damaging the game and alienating players.  Given their long history of not only promoting bad ideas but also presuming to suggest that we'll think favorably of them, I doubt WG even feels a need to explore this.

WG is going with the "throw as many money nets out as possible" approach rather than the "let's make a great game that people will inherently want to spend money on because it is good" approach. It's showing more and more each patch.