Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

What if - Tier 9 & 10 Italian BB thought

9 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
1,524 battles

So I absolutely love the Roma. Besides being a gorgeous BB she's actually able to brawl with up tiered BB's. She is really underestimated by tier 9 and 10 BB's making it possible to really put and over confident player in their place. I've seen the idea of the tier 10 Italian BB having 406mm guns. Hear me out though, what if it didn't 

What if instead we had the first BB line that kept 15 inch guns into tier 9 and 10 but instead increased the quantity of guns.

The tier 10 Italian cruiser will have 15 203mm guns.

So why not with the tier 10 Italian BB.

15 - 15in guns in 5 turrets. 3 forward and 2 aft.

Keep high penetration but the lesser damage is there compared to other ships of the tier. Maybe keep RoF and increase all the other stats to whatever is appropriate.

It was said the 15 in guns of the Roma were some of the best BB guns of the war and they should have a chance to shine and they could shine on tier 10 platform that is built accordingly. Heck it could even be a Battle cruiser class and not a normal BB much like the tier 5 premium Italian BB.

Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,044 posts
284 battles

As discussed in This thread, there is arguably an existing BB design that could fulfill the idea of a large broadside with major alpha potential, assuming they do that with the ITABB.

Said design is simply called 4-16/16-40, a battleship designed after the Littorio class and was intended to carry 4x4 406mm guns. Could that broadside prove to be too powerful? Perhaps, if they wanted to they could possibly do 4x4 381mm guns instead.

[PISD]
Members
650 posts
4,334 battles
9 minutes ago, Panzer20000 said:

As discussed in This thread, there is arguably an existing BB design that could fulfill the idea of a large broadside with major alpha potential, assuming they do that with the ITABB.

Said design is simply called 4-16/16-40, a battleship designed after the Littorio class and was intended to carry 4x4 406mm guns. Could that broadside prove to be too powerful? Perhaps, if they wanted to they could possibly do 4x4 381mm guns instead.

A tier 10 Lyon! Sweet!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
1,524 battles

As much as I would love a tier 10 Lyon that's a bit much in terms of power. Lyon can already sometimes feel like point - click - delete. I think having 15 inch guns would be fair. Especially the Roma's high Pen ones.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,933 posts
10,443 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

So I absolutely love the Roma. Besides being a gorgeous BB she's actually able to brawl with up tiered BB's. She is really underestimated by tier 9 and 10 BB's making it possible to really put and over confident player in their place. I've seen the idea of the tier 10 Italian BB having 406mm guns. Hear me out though, what if it didn't 

What if instead we had the first BB line that kept 15 inch guns into tier 9 and 10 but instead increased the quantity of guns.

The tier 10 Italian cruiser will have 15 203mm guns.

So why not with the tier 10 Italian BB.

15 - 15in guns in 5 turrets. 3 forward and 2 aft.

Keep high penetration but the lesser damage is there compared to other ships of the tier. Maybe keep RoF and increase all the other stats to whatever is appropriate.

It was said the 15 in guns of the Roma were some of the best BB guns of the war and they should have a chance to shine and they could shine on tier 10 platform that is built accordingly. Heck it could even be a Battle cruiser class and not a normal BB much like the tier 5 premium Italian BB.

its possible, but i think theyll stop at 12 guns for the T10, i could be wrong, only time can tell

[UFFA]
Members
1,961 posts
75 battles

Phoenix talks about going all in on Ferrati designs here . 

with a nice graphic ending in the 4-16/16 40

[LOIN]
Supertester
717 posts

There is an Italian design that would fit well for 9, that was battleship 1936 project, (UP-41) the Russians used this as inspiration for the project 23 design.

The UP-41, was to been armed with 3×3 16 inch guns. 

So a tier 10 design with 15 guns is most likely probably not going to happen, instead maybe a 12 gun design.

Edited by Starfleet1701

Members
76 posts
8,992 battles
On 9/23/2019 at 5:56 PM, Starfleet1701 said:

There is an Italian design that would fit well for 9, that was battleship 1936 project, (UP-41) the Russians used this as inspiration for the project 23 design.

The UP-41, was to been armed with 3×3 16 inch guns. 

So a tier 10 design with 15 guns is most likely probably not going to happen, instead maybe a 12 gun design.

considering that italians have the gun penetration to pen everything i can assume they never gonna make anything with more than 12 guns if its a italian battleship

as to the guns on t9 bb it be a 4x3 381mm or the up41 that is the upgraded littorio with 3x3 406mm since italians liked to copy & paste his own designs maybe we get an italian montana or italian conqueror in size

lyon never became a problem cause of the low shell speed so they just change the spread of shells

but alsalce shell speed is a problem with the quantity of guns problems started to appear that make wg nerf his sigma

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,743 posts
2,129 battles

I'd rather stray away from doing a copy-paste of the UP.41 at any tier, to be honest. The 41,000-ton 406mm battleship (Officially, although displacement went up to 42,000 tons standard in only a few months) was under development starting from 1934, and this continued until mid-1941.

UP.41 is an export version by Ansaldo, that is specifically adapted from the 1935 version of said design. As such there are numerous differences in design, most notably an inferior torpedo defense system (3-layer versus 5-layer TDS) and a frankly bizarre armor deck scheme - in fact, the armor as a whole I'd consider inferior to Littorio. It also doesn't help that, being a 1935 draft, it pre-dates many of the innovations that went on to the Littorio-class, including the 90mm/50 in stabilized mounts, and quite likely was developed without the consideration of the composite belt that went on to Littorio (which itself was only approved as a structure after firing tests in April 1935 on the production scheme) - after all, it has a single-thickness 370mm belt inclined at only 6°. 

Moving on from the UP.41, the '41,000-ton' battleship, now 42,000 tons, was intended to be a successor to the Littorio-class, namely by being faster, better protected, and better armed. The main battery used a 406mm/50 in the same arrangement as the 381/50 on Littorio, with an estimation that the increased hitting power would increase range of penetration for a given armor thickness by 2,000 meters (ex, Roma's in-game penetration at 5/10/15/20 km is currently 700/594/507/438mm - the 406/50 theoretically would see; 748/634/538/463mm). The secondary battery remained identical - 4x3 152mm/55, while the heavy AA battery consisted of 12x2 100mm/47. Main belt is not clear - one source describes it as being a variable thickness layer from 320 to 425mm, but that could simply be a development independent of the composite armor belt that ended up being used on Littorio. A layer that changes thickness would also be fairly unusual on an Italian design of this era...

Other improvements included a move from the Pugliese torpedo defense system to a new 5-layer system designed by Ansaldo (layers alternating between liquid and void), which retained the triple-bottoms of the Pugliese system. The intermediate bottom, 1.3 meters above the keel itself, was actually armored in an attempt to improve resistance against mines and magnetic torpedoes, similar in theory to what was done to the Yamato-class battleships. In general, the hull lines were an improvement, and a new keel design allowed the draft to actually be slightly less than that of the Littorio-class. Top speed was placed at 32 knots, likely not having changed at all from the initial draft reflected by UP.41 - eight boilers feeding four turbine groups, running at 45,000 shp each for a combined 180,000 shp. The design went through continuous modification, increasing displacement as time went on. In 1936, the 100mm mounts were replaced by 90mm/50 in the new quadraxially stabilized mounts, just as they had done on the Littorio design, and a few years later these were replaced by 90mm/50 twin mounts (12x2). By this point, the '41,000-ton battleship' was actually pushing 45,000 tons standard, only a few thousand tons lighter than an Iowa-class battleship.

Said design would best fit at tier IX, which still leaves the question of tier X open. Personally, I'd consider 4-16/16-40 to be overkill, and given the current track record (GK, Conqueror, République), the chances of a design being fudged by WG are high.

Sign in to follow this