You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
wjgood

Nomigram crosshar

46 comments in this topic

[FEYER]
[FEYER]
Members
50 posts
3,723 battles

When I first got the wind of the dynamic crosshair being wrong, I was surprised. But then as I read more, I realized that my aiming was calibrated to that. Such as at long range when I’m in my Iowa at the shell flight time 10 I’m aiming at 8. Do you guys think the nomogram crosshair should be the standard dynamic?

Members
6,858 posts
15,357 battles

Have never touched dynamic cross hair. And I can't remember the last time a number on the static cross hair even registered in my brain. I just shoot where I think I should. 

So I have no clue what you are talking about with calibration

• Cool 4
  • Confused 1

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles
13 minutes ago, wjgood said:

When I first got the wind of the dynamic crosshair being wrong, I was surprised. But then as I read more, I realized that my aiming was calibrated to that. Such as at long range when I’m in my Iowa at the shell flight time 10 I’m aiming at 8. Do you guys think the nomogram crosshair should be the standard dynamic?

The shell travel times on dynamic crosshair assume the ship is travelling 30 knots. If it's faster or slower, you need to adjust accordingly. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
15 minutes ago, wjgood said:

Yes, absolutely. It's just so much better.

Just now, DouglasMacAwful said:

The shell travel times on dynamic crosshair assume the ship is travelling 30 knots. If it's faster or slower, you need to adjust accordingly. 

It isn't. I know that some of the CC's have said it is, but it isn't. The issue is that the default dynamic sights ticks represent constant angle, and therefore represent different amounts of distance as range changes.

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

I have used the Dynamic Crosshairs for a long time and it works very well. 

I see no problem with it.

• Cool 1

[APES]
Members
1,489 posts
8,411 battles

I think after playing awhile a lot of people don't even look at the numbers, static 7 and 9 are great especially when using spotting plane.  I tried the dynamic one in Aslain's that has the spider web, but usually go back to static.  The "Keep Cool" dynamic in Aslain's is nice.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
27 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Have never touched dynamic cross hair. And I can't remember the last time a number on the static cross hair even registered in my brain. I just shoot where I think I should. 

I have tried it but unless they and a dynamic that is like the type 7, 8, & 9 I will stick with them.

Members
1,926 posts
7,591 battles
20 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

It isn't. I know that some of the CC's have said it is, but it isn't. 

I use the dynamic crosshair and the shell travel time does indeed hit the center at 30 knots, even at long distance.  

23 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

The issue is that the default dynamic sights ticks represent constant angle, and therefore represent different amounts of distance as range changes.

Yes, if the ship is angled you have to adjust.  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[HELLS]
Members
2,664 posts
27,204 battles
21 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

Yes, absolutely. It's just so much better.

It isn't. I know that some of the CC's have said it is, but it isn't. The issue is that the default dynamic sights ticks represent constant angle, and therefore represent different amounts of distance as range changes.

The RN calls it the Range Rate in gunneryspeak. Toughest thing to calculate with an analog fire control system. Even a slight change in course like a zig-zag throws it off and you have to start shooting ladder or zig-zag salvos. I use it but the speed variations are very much guesstimates against better players.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
4,287 posts
6,522 battles
6 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I use the dynamic crosshair and the shell travel time does indeed hit the center at 30 knots, even at long distance.  

Yes, if the ship is angled you have to adjust.  

Having used dynamic and nomogram, the difference is really total. Nomogram, a 30 knot target at 80-90 degrees will always be hit exactly where the time marker indicates, every time, no matter the gun or range combination. This is very much not true in my experience using dynamic, which is kind of okay with certain guns but doesn't work with the game's super high or low ballistic guns(i.e. RU 220mm, or USN 127mm) or at short/super long ranges.

5 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

The RN calls it the Range Rate in gunneryspeak. Toughest thing to calculate with an analog fire control system. Even a slight change in course like a zig-zag throws it off and you have to start shooting ladder or zig-zag salvos. I use it but the speed variations are very much guesstimates against better players.

Use the navigator, and memorize 30/45/60 on the unit circle(86%, 70%, 50%) for lead distance. Range lead is harder because it deals with the angle you are viewing the ship at. I might make an extension for Nomogram that shows a range grid in constant distance units as well someday, but it would appear pretty funky on the water.

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,898 battles
35 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

And I haven't used any of the static crosshairs since open beta.

Every once in a while I go back and give a static crosshair a try, and I just can't figure out how much to aim.  I just can't.  The dynamic cross hair is more logical, more computational for this old computer programmer.  Static crosshairs are all about feel.  Dynamic crosshairs about computing how much to lead.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,898 battles
51 minutes ago, wjgood said:

What the hell is a nomogram crosshair?

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
161 posts
2,792 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Thank you, Sonic.  :cap_like: +1

Easy to post since I had it up, like you, wondering what the hell it was.    ;)

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,245 battles

Haven’t used anything but static, other than briefly trying an asterisk crosshair, which was useless to me.

[-AGW-]
Members
978 posts
13,558 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

^ This.

I don't even aim consciously. The only thing I watch sometimes is the baseline. The rest is more or less trap or skeet shooting.

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,898 battles
2 minutes ago, NashW8 said:

^ This.

I don't even aim consciously. The only thing I watch sometimes is the baseline. The rest is more or less trap or skeet shooting.

I don't really aim all that consciously either.  I just calculate where to aim using the dynamic crosshair and do it.    I don't really have to think about it.  I just do it.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,414 posts
15,870 battles
38 minutes ago, Crucis said:

And I haven't used any of the static crosshairs since open beta.

Every once in a while I go back and give a static crosshair a try, and I just can't figure out how much to aim.  I just can't.  The dynamic cross hair is more logical, more computational for this old computer programmer.  Static crosshairs are all about feel.  Dynamic crosshairs about computing how much to lead.

This has been my experience as well.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,792 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, wjgood said:

I rather suspect that the Nomogram crosshair (which I like and use) bases its scaling on the stock dynamic crosshair and merely replaces the reticle.
Update:  Based on iChase's video, this is not the case. 

IMO, the standard dynamic should have options, just like the static.

Edited by iDuckman

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,898 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I rather suspect that the Nomogram crosshair (which I like and use) bases its scaling on the stock dynamic crosshair and merely replaces the reticle.

IMO, the standard dynamic should have options, just like the static.

For what it's worth, iDuckman, iChase has done a new Captain's Academy video on aiming just today that talks about the flaws of the standard dynamic crosshair and how the Nomogram crosshair fixes those flaws.  It's worth checking out.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,792 posts
4,631 battles
37 minutes ago, SonicAnatidae said:

That's one way.  I prefer to use Aslain's modpack for an easier install.  I think it's also in the WG Modstation.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,792 posts
4,631 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

For what it's worth, iDuckman, iChase has done a new Captain's Academy video on aiming just today that talks about the flaws of the standard dynamic crosshair and how the Nomogram crosshair fixes those flaws.  It's worth checking out.

Thanks!  I will.

[SALVO]
Members
24,823 posts
25,898 battles
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

That's one way.  I prefer to use Aslain's modpack for an easier install.  I think it's also in the WG Modstation.

iDuck, it appears that there are 3 versions of it in the WG mod station.   One is the NG Crosshair.  The other 2 seem to be the Stiv Light Dyn crosshairs.

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,212 battles
8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

iDuck, it appears that there are 3 versions of it in the WG mod station.   One is the NG Crosshair.  The other 2 seem to be the Stiv Light Dyn crosshairs.

How do you get these in the game? I’ve never added anything to mine.