Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Patosentado

HE or AP?

6 comments in this topic

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,287 battles

A lot of posts here talk about using AP, specially against cruisers boadside, but I have tried it, in both Siroco and Terrible with no good results, Using HE I get a lot of fires (DE and IFHE captains) with good damage.

What to do? In wich ship/occasions use AP?

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
27,234 battles

Depends on the cruiser you are shooting at and at what range. Certain cruisers have either too much belt armor or have spaced armor. I'd suggest opening up the training room and filling out the lineup with cruisers you might be unable to citadel or find difficult to citadel. 

[WOLFG]
Members
131 posts
9,468 battles

Last night gave me some new insight into this topic. I was sailing a Vauquelin around an island and spotted a broadside Dallas around 5.5km away. We were both surprised, his guns were in the wrong direction and I expected to see a damaged Farragut.

I popped the MBRM and started firing, making the decision to switch to AP after the first salvo. The Dallas melted ... with 5 citadels he was destroyed just as the booster expired. Hadn’t even got his guns turned and I didn’t even bother with torps.

Totally situational, but given the right situation the AP was devastating. I expect it would be similar with the high tier French DDs as I believe they can pen over 200mm of armor at that range.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,146 posts
16,386 battles

At at ranges are you firing AP at these broadside cruisers?

[WOLFG]
Members
131 posts
9,468 battles
On 8/11/2019 at 4:24 AM, Rolkatsuki said:

At at ranges are you firing AP at these broadside cruisers?

About 5-6 km. I checked the AP calculator and these gums penetrate over 100 mm or armor at 6 km. If memory serves, the only T6 and lower cruisers that have thick enough citadel armour are the Budyonny and Graf Spee.

Obviously a knife fight at that range is exciting and beating a light cruiser with a DD relies on a well planned ambush or some good fortune, like the CL’s guns not facing you or having smoke to hide in (which is tough for a French DD). 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this