You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DukeTestudo

How Fast from Tier 1 to Tier 10?

20 comments in this topic

[DOD]
Beta Testers
88 posts
4,144 battles

Quick general survey question - without using a crazy amount of premium camo (i.e. using just the economic flags), in the current meta, how fast can people go when researching a tech tree branch?  In other words, how quickly have you gone from nothing to Tier X in a line?

I've never done a line "properly" -- Typically, I can only play 4-6 hours a week, plus I've taken long breaks and I tend to hop between lines.  So, even though I started playing WoWs as an Alpha tester, I only got my first Tier X ship about 6 months ago, and, even now, I only have 3. 

I'm wondering how fast/how many battles it's taken somebody who actively grinds as opposed to somebody more casual like me.

EDITED TO ADD:  A lot of people are giving me advice on how to grind, which is fine, but that wasn't the question.   I'm wondering how long it's taken other people to do the grind.   I can roughly guess how long it would take me to do it if I played consistently based on my averages, but I'm wondering what other people's experiences are from either a battle count or a time spent playing count.

Thanks.

[TRU]
Members
596 posts
18,117 battles

A good amount of time, especially without using premium time, camo, and signals that boost XP output.  Tiers 1 through 6 will seem quick, and get a lot longer the higher you go.

One thing to think about.....you can always play a game here and there to get closer to your next tier, but I've found that I like to play specific ships and view the game as less of a grind and more of a game to have fun in.

I now have favorite ships of all tiers that I play and don't feel compelled to keep grinding up another tech tree.  I'd love a Yamato but I have a Montana and GK.

I would also recommend trying every ship type.  Not only does it keep things interesting, you will learn how to counter those classes better when you fight them. Yes, even try carriers, especially if you like to see planes crashing into the sea.  

Good luck!

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

I would guess that someone, using basic camos and flags, could get through an entire sub line (no skips, no free XP, and just one line and not the entire tree) in something like 100 decent games.

Edited by Old_Baldy_One
  • Confused 1

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,210 posts
9,340 battles
21 minutes ago, DukeTestudo said:

Quick general survey question - without using a crazy amount of premium camo (i.e. using just the economic flags), in the current meta, how fast can people go when researching a tech tree branch?  In other words, how quickly have you gone from nothing to Tier X in a line?

It's impossible to answer without knowing how well you do in battles on average, XP-wise.

Members
2,419 posts
5,355 battles

Playing normally with premium time/camos/flags i think it tool me 2-3months to grind all the way to Moskva. That is playing maybe 1-2 hours a day and 3-5over weekend.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,134 posts
4,970 battles

Takes anywhere from like 725k to 850k xp. You can do your own math based on your averages. A halfway decently player can easily get one without crazy bonuses in 1k battles. If you fasttrack it with premium time, good camos and signals, it can probably be done in 200-300. 

*very rough numbers

[PENND]
Members
355 posts
7,601 battles
26 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

I would also recommend trying every ship type.

I couldn't agree more. I skipped many of the T2-4 ships and since I'm only short 5 TX tech tree ships I've started buying lower tier ships. Some are actually fun. Really liking Jurien.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,379 posts
15,783 battles

I have 21 lines at tier 10. If you focus two lines at a time it will go pretty fast. Pick a primary and a secondary line or prem ship if you have them. Play the primary if you die jump into the secondary. If you do not die play the primary again. Rinse repeat. Battle count per line will be in the hundreds not thousands.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I would guess that someone, using basic camos and flags, could get through an entire sub line (no skips, no free XP, and just one line and not the entire tree) in something like 100 decent games.

I doubt that could be done in 100 games even with all flags and the highest xp producing camo. Basic flags and camo aren't going to average most players 7-8k per game, and all those lower tier games you have to play aren't nearly as lucrative xp wise as higher tier.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,623 battles

If you are a good player using a decent amount of modifiers (premium time, camo, flags), you can get it done in ~100 games. 

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
4 minutes ago, pikohan said:

If you are a good player using a decent amount of modifiers (premium time, camo, flags), you can get it done in ~100 games. 

Goes faster if you div too since you'll win more and get higher base xp.

• Confused 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

I grinded my 1st tier 10 in co op, took me maybe almost 2 years and about 1,500 games.

[REVY]
Members
2,275 posts
12,229 battles

started in Open Beta

I think I got my first T10 after 2 years of grinding, the Montana, followed by the Yamato and Shimakaze. GK, and Gearing came a bit after, and the Des Moines and Worcester came about during the line split. Got Midway after the CV re-work. She pretty much sits in port these days.

Mind that I did not just go straight up the line but bounced around between US, IJN, and then later the German lines.

[WOLF1]
Members
2,876 posts

this is easy to find out, just check your completed line data, add all the games played from all the ships 1-10 (assuming you didn't stick to a ship played more games after you unlock it), then you know how many games it will take, that's not even counting credit required, only the XP side

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles

I have heard say it's one million XP from T1 to anywhere. 1000 battles of 1000 XP average each. Scale according to your usual results.

• Cool 1

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
805 posts
7,168 battles

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? :Smile_Default:

Took me close to 5 months to get to my first T9, the Iowa. Still got a ways to go to get Montana. 

I focused primarily on the USN BB line, with a little premium time here and there. 

[DOD]
Beta Testers
88 posts
4,144 battles
3 hours ago, vak_ said:

It's impossible to answer without knowing how well you do in battles on average, XP-wise.

Oh, I know how long it would take me (something akin to forever :) ) - I'm wondering how well OTHER people do it.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,432 posts
6,489 battles

I came back to this game 1 year and 1 months ago. after leaving shortly after release. I found my acct had one t8 (cleveland ) and a one other T7.   I had played 500 or so games.      I'm at 3000 battles now and I have Mino, Des Moines, Moskova, Worcherster, Montana, Hakuryu, Audascious, and Midway . I also have a Salem which was obtained with Coal. I could quickly add another or two more with accrued coal and Free XP I have saved and am sitting on currently.     I do play with premium...or at least have been until 8.5 made me decide to shut down my spending.    I've not played another MMO that is as generous to grind to the end tiers...  All that being said I wouldn't rush through it..   I rarely play T10 and have found I am terrible there.    It's a tier where you pretty much have to play one ship until you can really master all its unique advantages to do well there.   enjoy the lower tiers....IMO  the mid tiers are the most fun....   6-8.