You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
StarShip_Enterprize

Update - Min Graphics Card requirement unable to play

103 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
9,431 battles

After the last two updates, my pc started to freeze and wow told me it was the graphics card (which worked until now without any issues).  After years of playing and money spend on wow I have now decided to quit playing until a new update allows me to play.  I'm not a gamer and and refuse to spend so much on a graphics card just for one simple game I play now and then. Good way to chase away gamers.  If I find something else worth while I will most probably uninstall completely.

My son that used to love this game started playing Roblox and is not in the least bit interested in WOW anymore.

By the way, because of this constant ingame freezing I now have 35 op games i have to play (AS IF) and wow team cannot remove this apparently.  How disappointing. Anyone would be out of his freaking mind to waste time playing 35 op games.  Rather make that 35 games or x amount of days not playing the game.

Seems like everything I used to love about the game has changed to the point where I don't even bother playing the game even if I'm bored as hell. Really bad, what I'd miss most is chatting to online friends, but I'd rather spend my time being productive than having to struggle.

• Confused 4
  • Boring 1

[-CK-]
Members
224 posts
2,357 battles
12 minutes ago, StarShip_Enterprize said:

After the last two updates, my pc started to freeze and wow told me it was the graphics card (which worked until now without any issues).  After years of playing and money spend on wow I have now decided to quit playing until a new update allows me to play.  I'm not a gamer and and refuse to spend so much on a graphics card just for one simple game I play now and then. Good way to chase away gamers.  If I find something else worth while I will most probably uninstall completely.

My son that used to love this game started playing Roblox and is not in the least bit interested in WOW anymore.

By the way, because of this constant ingame freezing I now have 35 op games i have to play (AS IF) and wow team cannot remove this apparently.  How disappointing. Anyone would be out of his freaking mind to waste time playing 35 op games.  Rather make that 35 games or x amount of days not playing the game.

Seems like everything I used to love about the game has changed to the point where I don't even bother playing the game even if I'm bored as hell. Really bad, what I'd miss most is chatting to online friends, but I'd rather spend my time being productive than having to struggle.

Dude. Stop. I bought a gaming computer and I have an 18 screen laptop that the video card has been upgraded. It's had windows 10 put in. Works with the game fine. For Sale for reasonable price. It's an HP. Been totaly rebuilt 2 yrs ago and I stopped using it 7 months ago

Edited by bobby_scott05
misspelling

Members
6,151 posts
9,801 battles
15 minutes ago, StarShip_Enterprize said:

You realize graphics cards are pretty cheap if budget for them?

[_EASY]
Members
276 posts
13,357 battles

You don't need a powerful computer with a dedicated graphics card to play this game.

I have over 8,500 battle on a 6 year old Surface Pro 2 tablet..…

Edited by MWSVette1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
34 minutes ago, MWSVette1 said:

You don't need a powerful computer with a dedicated graphics card to play this game.

That's why I asked what his card was.

Just because the graphic card is the problem, doesn't mean that the problem with the graphic card is obsolescence.

Could be a driver issue or something else.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
40 minutes ago, Reymu said:

You realize graphics cards are pretty cheap if budget for them?

Yup, I haven't looked, but if card age is the issue, he could easily get something that'll play WoWS for under $100. Probably well under.

It would probably make Roblox run better too.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,470 posts
1 hour ago, StarShip_Enterprize said:

I have now decided to quit playing until a new update allows me to play. 

This is never going to happen.  Technology moves forward, not backwards.

If your card doesn't meet the game's requirements, your options are to obtain a card that does, or not play the game.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,740 battles

32 minutes ago, Burnsy said:
1 hour ago, StarShip_Enterprize said:

I have now decided to quit playing until a new update allows me to play. 

This is never going to happen.  Technology moves forward, not backwards.

If your card doesn't meet the game's requirements, your options are to obtain a card that does, or not play the game.

Yeah the one that caught me out was the switch to 64bit software.. and not supporting Vista etc.. But i was ready to upgrade anyhow and had been looking.. 

One thing about PC's - it's really really easy to fall behind the curve tech wise.  WOW's does not even really need a high end card to work. 

So if your software works, 64 bit.. you are at the right drivers etc. getting a card for your PC really isn't all that expensive.  Putting it in is not all that hard.. 

BUT if you are just bored with the game anyway - getting a new card is still not a bad idea!  upgrading may allow you to "find" that other game you want to play and to be able to play it. 

[GUNNS]
Members
63 posts
6,131 battles

What would you guys say is the min frame rate to make this game playable? I have a pretty new all in one hp with integrated radeon vid card and in getting around 20fps on the low settings.. seems a bit slow to me

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,470 posts
1 hour ago, gristle111 said:

What would you guys say is the min frame rate to make this game playable? I have a pretty new all in one hp with integrated radeon vid card and in getting around 20fps on the low settings.. seems a bit slow to me

Integrated cards are....not the best.

I have an  Nvidia 1080 (not the Ti version) and I am always at the game's default frame rate lock if 75fps.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
1 hour ago, gristle111 said:

I would say 30. You'll probably find it more playable at 20 than say, WoT though, due to the slower pace.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
1,872 posts

I have an old Nvidia GTX 760 OC card... which is about 6 or 7 years old and considered a mid-range card for it's time...

It runs modern games at 1080p such as Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Nier:Automata, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, and Space Engineers at medium to high settings just fine. It's worth maybe $50 on Craigslist.

WoWs runs pretty good on low-end machines in my opinion. If the OP can't run it... that's some serious "legacy" hardware right there! Windows XP or Vista era card perhaps?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,715 posts
4,630 battles
5 hours ago, Skpstr said:

What is your graphics card?

Forget it.  He won't reply.  He's had his rant establishing himself as a victim, and won't dare risking that status.

• Cool 5

Members
236 posts
5 hours ago, StarShip_Enterprize said:

Try not playing on a decrepit old boat anchor.

• Cool 1

Members
5,258 posts
9,936 battles

"Gamers" would buy a decent video card to play a game they like.  They are not going to remove graphics to make it play on old machines and hardware.

[-NAM-]
Members
47 posts
4,123 battles

If you're not, before starting the game, right click on Warships, and "run game as administrator." This has fixed a few of my buddies problems when they were doing hours of research. A buddy bought me a Massachusetts because this helped him fix his problem. Don't knock it until you try it. 

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
6 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Integrated cards are....not the best.

I have an  Nvidia 1080 (not the Ti version) and I am always at the game's default frame rate lock if 75fps.

But this game hardly requires "the best". I built a new rig earlier this year with a Ryzen 2400g and the integrated graphics on it are enough to hold 40-50 fps on near-max graphics. There are plenty of inexpensive options that are good enough for the casual player.

Matt

[DBRIS]
Members
626 posts
11,097 battles
10 hours ago, MWSVette1 said:

I have over 8,500 battle on a 6 year old Surface Pro 2 tablet..…

Same, It's low res but works just fine. New Lenovo is letting me see all sorts of cool details the Surface didn't though.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,593 posts

There have been graphical glitches in the game since 8.5. Otherwise, my card, a Radeon 6850, plays the game well on medium settings. The game doesn't require a very robust card, though some older laptop integrated graphics might struggle with it. Medium settings are fine with me but newer cards do have benefits though, such as the ability to capture video. However, I've no plans to upgrade in the near future.

[ANZ4C]
Members
216 posts
7,726 battles

My old 780ti ran this game on max settings at 1440p at the locked 75fps. He must be using a potato for a graphics card. 

Graphics are only going to improve so either upgrade or move on...

[DPG]
Members
1,913 posts
9,518 battles

Minimum required to play, does not mean minimum required to play decently.  They are the minimum specs required to install and load the game.  If that means constant crashing, or 10 fps, but you can load the game, then they technically aren't lying.  You want, at a minimum, somewhere in the middle.