You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Colonel_Potter

Question for Captains w/ both Yoshino & ARP Takao.

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
538 posts
12,556 battles

I haven't worked my way up the IJN cruiser line very far yet.  I do have the ARP ships, including the ARP Takao.

Anyway, just a quick question.  I'm getting close to having enough coal for the Yoshino. Is the play style anything like the ARP Takao?

I love playing the ARP Takao, it's a fun ship, even in Tier 10 games.

Any input would be appreciated and helpful.

Side note: I'm not really looking for any opinions on whether you think the Yoshino is a good ship or not, I''m just curious to know if the play style is similar to the ARP Takao. I actually love a lot of the ships people have said were garbage, lol.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and reading my post.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles

Yuro gives a good (and funny) overview I think.

I personally don't have a Yoshino, but I do have Azuma which is almost the same thing. And I don't think she plays like Atago since they have different strengths and weaknesses. 

[KWF]
Members
4,359 posts
6,405 battles

Takao and Atago by association are stealthy little ships that can get to within 10km, drop torps then run away. 

Yoshino doesn't have that luxury, it is meant to be played at longer range with the odd 20km torps thrown. 

[PISD]
Members
1,266 posts
5,253 battles

Yes and no. In fact, it depends of your game play with the Atago/ Takao.

-If you go with long range fire, sure Yoshino is in that park. It may have a little less DPM than the Zao, but the high caliber of her guns grant her damage almost on any ship out there without IFHE, and the accuracy is not half bad. Plus, the AP are pretty workable in the right situation.

-If you play the Atago/ Takao more aggressively, that is using her high concealment to get close and surprise others CA/CL with devastating AP salvo, no. Yoshino may have a good concealment for a Super Heavy Cruiser, but it is still mediocre and she will be spotted from the moon. In that regard, you will not take the concealment module on her but the rudder shift mod 3.

All in all, it is one of my favorite ship right now, even if you end up kinda on the passenger seat during match.

Edited by Y_Nagato

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,083 posts
14,858 battles
31 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I haven't worked my way up the IJN cruiser line very far yet.  I do have the ARP ships, including the ARP Takao.

Anyway, just a quick question.  I'm getting close to having enough coal for the Yoshino. Is the play style anything like the ARP Takao?

Side note: I'm not really looking for any opinions on whether you think the Yoshino is a good ship or not, I''m just curious to know if the play style is similar to the ARP Takao. I actually love a lot of the ships people have said were garbage, lol.

The play style of Yoshino is different than Takao, not to mention that Yoshino is quite squishy, even when compared to Takao.  Yoshino is a much better support/sniper type ship than Takao, having very good accuracy at long range, with shells that will cover distance within a solid amount of time.  Her HE is also better, starting fires more often than Takao and doing a lot more damage, at least in my experience.

Thing is, how do you play Takao?  Telling us this would help us better help you decide.  For example: I tend to use Atago/Takao aggressively more often than not, a style that is ill suited to Yoshino.

[REVY]
Members
2,274 posts
12,190 battles
37 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

The play styles are completely different, and I would not suggest trading captains between them to train.

Atago/Takao can be pretty stealthy when they want to be, and have very good torpedo arcs fore and aft. While they can be squishy, when played right, they can be effective in close quarters battling.

Yoshino can be seen from space. Her play style is more like Zao and Azuma: long range kiting. Torpedo-wise, these are mostly aimed toward the aft and are more for harassing the enemy from a distance. I have 4 of the coal/XP/grind-event ships (Atago, Takao, Azuma, Yoshino), and at this point each has it's own trained captain.

[WOLFG]
Members
538 posts
12,556 battles
19 minutes ago, Volron said:

Thing is, how do you play Takao?  Telling us this would help us better help you decide.

It actually depends on the game.  If I am in Tier X games, I tend to keep at maximum range and snipe.  When I am in tier 9 or lower games, I normally play more aggressively.

13 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

The play styles are completely different, and I would not suggest trading captains between them to train.

Atago/Takao can be pretty stealthy when they want to be, and have very good torpedo arcs fore and aft. While they can be squishy, when played right, they can be effective in close quarters battling.

Yoshino can be seen from space. Her play style is more like Zao and Azuma: long range kiting. Torpedo-wise, these are mostly aimed toward the aft and are more for harassing the enemy from a distance. I have 4 of the coal/XP/grind-event ships (Atago, Takao, Azuma, Yoshino), and at this point each has it's own trained captain.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep your tips in mind when I get the Yoshino.

Looks like it'll be a sniper, and I will adapt with it the best I can, lol.  Have wanted the Yoshino since it was first announced, so I will be getting it even though it plays totally different than the ARP Takao.

Thanks again guys.

[REVY]
Members
2,274 posts
12,190 battles
2 hours ago, Colonel_Potter said:

It actually depends on the game.  If I am in Tier X games, I tend to keep at maximum range and snipe.  When I am in tier 9 or lower games, I normally play more aggressively.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep your tips in mind when I get the Yoshino.

Looks like it'll be a sniper, and I will adapt with it the best I can, lol.  Have wanted the Yoshino since it was first announced, so I will be getting it even though it plays totally different than the ARP Takao.

Thanks again guys.

No problem

giphy.gif