Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ClassicLib

0.8.7 Has some interesting changes

45 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

985
[INTEL]
Members
3,046 posts
16,690 battles

A little bit of what people have asked for and a little bit of what WG said was coming up

- New French Commander with some skills that are not too hard to achieve. Unfortunately for me it looks best suited to DDs.

- AA mechanic changes. Kind of a hybrid of the current system and DFAA.

- Changes to MM that takes into account how many battles you have in ships of that tier and 1 tier higher

- Another try at the Research Center, now named Research Bureau ( @enderland07 has another thread on this)

- Changes to Battle Chat to include the ability to block certain commands from specific players

- Limit to the number of "Attention to Square" map pings within a period of time

- EDIT: Ranked Sprint at T6 and 7 v 7

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/public-test/bulletin-087/

Edited by ClassicLib
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
272
[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,836 battles

Sounds interesting.....

I like ranked with T6 and T7 ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,091
[TDRB]
Members
5,111 posts
13,721 battles

The MM changes maybe  what T8 needs. I do hope it improves T8 MM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,695
[5D2]
[5D2]
Supertester
2,349 posts
23,710 battles
14 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

AA mechanic changes. Kind of a hybrid of the current system and DFAA.

I'm really curious as to what this will mean for DFAA. Will it continue to exist or will it be removed because this seems to almost act as DFAA? Also, with another damage improvement what will this mean for CVs... I'm very interested in seeing how this develops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,091
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles

Meh.... short of ranked Sprint nothing here for me.  Plus anticipating further punishment to CVs..   My masochism for the class is about already at its end.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,931
[ARGSY]
Members
19,960 posts
14,227 battles

I'm excited to have a crack at the PTS. In addition to the Italian cruisers, they're letting us play with the Shinonome again. 

The French commander looks like a giveaway. This will be an ongoing collection, and I'm absolutely sure they're going to give away at least one crate in Daily Supply when the patch goes live, so we're all guaranteed to get him. The fact that he's keyed mostly to destroyers isn't a surprise in the context of this line release.

The mechanic changes are a bit confusing in that I'm not exactly sure what the new MFCAA is supposed to do here. Nearest I can tell is that it increases your heavy flak damage in the assigned sector while keeping continuous AA even on both sides of the ship (which to be fair isn't a bad thing; it means the disengaged side will probably take down more aircraft that do a flyover). I don't get the thing with the cooldown, though; do they mean the time it takes to reassign sectors? 

To be fair, I think it became an obsolete skill as soon as the click-to-target mechanism was removed with the rework. They ought to strike this skill out, but I'm not sure they want to leave an ugly gap in the tree at Level 4.

 

ETA: On second thought, I think I know what they're going for here and I think I like it, but I'd like to give my subconscious mid a little more time to stew on it.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,308
[SIM]
Members
4,914 posts
7,991 battles

Just remove carriers and provide refunds already. When even ships with poor AA will be able to inflict “significant instantaneous damage” to squadrons, it’s time to admit that the rework has failed and that WG has no idea how to salvage it. 

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,931
[ARGSY]
Members
19,960 posts
14,227 battles
3 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Just remove carriers and provide refunds already. When even ships with poor AA will be able to inflict “significant instantaneous damage” to squadrons, it’s time to admit that the rework has failed and that WG has no idea how to salvage it. 

No, I think they might be on the right track here. This will boost the instantaneous flak-burst damage on the engaged side when you target a squadron, but it will also nerf the continuous AA damage. If you can dodge or survive that big heavy burst, you'll take less continuous damage on the run-in because the 150% multiplier will be nerfed for any captain with that skill. And then the sector reinforcement will be on an extended cooldown when you swing around for the next attack. If anything, this is a potential NERF to AA. It might even buy us a free skill reset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985
[INTEL]
Members
3,046 posts
16,690 battles
11 minutes ago, RA6E_ said:

Meh.... short of ranked Sprint nothing here for me.  Plus anticipating further punishment to CVs..   My masochism for the class is about already at its end.     

Honestly?  One of the most valuable to me will be the chat changes and the reduction of map pinging.  It doesn't happen all that often but it's nice to see them addressing it.

The AA change results are TBD.  But it looks like they've made a step towards some player control over it.  Will it be enough for surface ships and not too much for CVs?  Time will tell.

The MM change...well, good intentions often lead to unintended consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,308
[SIM]
Members
4,914 posts
7,991 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, I think they might be on the right track here. This will boost the instantaneous flak-burst damage on the engaged side when you target a squadron, but it will also nerf the continuous AA damage. If you can dodge or survive that big heavy burst, you'll take less continuous damage on the run-in because the 150% multiplier will be nerfed for any captain with that skill. And then the sector reinforcement will be on an extended cooldown when you swing around for the next attack. If anything, this is a potential NERF to AA. It might even buy us a free skill reset.

That’s an interesting way of interpreting what WG said in the article, which seems to run counter to your conclusions. I guess we’ll see in a month or so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
208 posts
1,177 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, I think they might be on the right track here. This will boost the instantaneous flak-burst damage on the engaged side when you target a squadron, but it will also nerf the continuous AA damage. If you can dodge or survive that big heavy burst, you'll take less continuous damage on the run-in because the 150% multiplier will be nerfed for any captain with that skill. And then the sector reinforcement will be on an extended cooldown when you swing around for the next attack. If anything, this is a potential NERF to AA. It might even buy us a free skill reset.

The flak damage isnt altered with this, just the magic energy shield

almost nobody makes a second pass, as i said, this is a waste, they are doing this aa buffs backwards, this sholud be implemented since the day 1 of the rework

Screenshot_2019-08-01-08-00-14-1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,931
[ARGSY]
Members
19,960 posts
14,227 battles
11 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

That’s an interesting way of interpreting what WG said in the article, which seems to run counter to your conclusions. I guess we’ll see in a month or so.

Let me restate it more clearly:

My reading indicates that MFCAA is going to nerf the continuous damage while providing an extra instantaneous-damage burst.

As for the sector reinforcement, that's going to change radically as well.

Current situation: Permanently on at full strength for that side once set.

New situation: In the example given, on for ten seconds once set. One heavy flak burst. Continuous damage spends the first five seconds ramping up to full strength, fires at full strength for another five, then resets to same-both-sides and STAYS that way for a further 10 seconds (as given in the example).

Ships that spend a lot of their time with one side pointed towards the enemy (e.g. slow US standard BBs) are going to have to pay continuous attention to their sector reinforcement. You're not going to be able to set-and-forget while you concentrate on other things. And that cooldown time is potentially going to give aircraft a breather once they've made a left-to-right pass over the ship and are coming around for a second pass on the other side. They'll be making the second pass into a sector that's on cooldown, might still be on 50%, can't deliver an instantaneous burst, and can't deliver more than a 100% burst for some few seconds.

If you mis-time your sector switching, it will be on cooldown when the planes arrive and you won't do as much damage. It will be akin to having to trigger your DFAA at just the right moment, as opposed to having it baited out. Now the CV will be able to bait out your sector switching as well.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

 

1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

- Changes to Battle Chat to include the ability to block certain commands from specific players

- Limit to the number of "Attention to Square" map pings within a period of time

About time.  How long has it taken to implement something like this?

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
35 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Just remove carriers and provide refunds already. When even ships with poor AA will be able to inflict “significant instantaneous damage” to squadrons, it’s time to admit that the rework has failed and that WG has no idea how to salvage it. 

They will, of course, never do this.  :Smile_teethhappy:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
829
[WOLFC]
Members
1,884 posts
9,902 battles

Since 8.0, people look at the current CV rework status as if "Its done now".  It's never been that way & won't be with 8.7.  

 

Plane buffs are coming & anybody thinking the current AA meta is permanent is fooling themselves.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985
[INTEL]
Members
3,046 posts
16,690 battles
11 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

About time.  How long has it taken to implement something like this?

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
1 minute ago, ClassicLib said:

Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth

Um, OK...  ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
985
[INTEL]
Members
3,046 posts
16,690 battles
Just now, Kuckoo said:

Um, OK...  ?

 

We beat up on WG when they don't do the obvious.  We beat up on WG when they finally get around to it.  I'd be reluctant to do something knowing I'll still get beat up for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
4 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

We beat up on WG when they don't do the obvious.  We beat up on WG when they finally get around to it.  I'd be reluctant to do something knowing I'll still get beat up for it.

Ah, OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
769
[REVY]
Members
2,272 posts
12,163 battles
19 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Since 8.0, people look at the current CV rework status as if "Its done now".  It's never been that way & won't be with 8.7.  

 

Plane buffs are coming & anybody thinking the current AA meta is permanent is fooling themselves.

There had better be buffs. I stopped playing CVs with 8.6 after I lost entire flights to a single DD that never was considered an AA powerhouse. They only sail in Co-Op and only for those french missions and even then alot are being lost to the bots even before AI CVs returned.

 

 

29 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

 

About time.  How long has it taken to implement something like this?

 

far too long

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,192
[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
23 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

Since 8.0, people look at the current CV rework status as if "Its done now".  It's never been that way & won't be with 8.7.

When juxtaposed to the somewhat relative stability of the game's conventional surface ships, CVs have been in a state of "rework" since before beta.  It's the one area where WG genuinely seems at a loss on what to do.

You knew something was wrong when they first had early and mid-1930s biplanes flying off the decks of carriers built in 1944...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,956
[IRNBN]
Members
3,347 posts
9,651 battles

I like the MM changes.

I'll be wanting to test the new Spaghetti Cruisers on PT later today. Send a PM to "TF77" on PTS if ya wanna div up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
274
[P2W]
Members
426 posts
12,175 battles

The AA change seems like another one of those logic puzzles that WG seems to delight in. First we have the "tries to shoot down as many planes as possible" bit, but the graphic says that phase causes 3.5% OF THEIR CURRENT HP in damage, which seems like a scratch, especially to planes that are already near death. I fail to see how doing any fraction under 100% of current health is going to bring down any planes at all.

Then, with a regular captain I get a brief period of extra continuous damage on that one side, but no changes to flak. Then I lose the option to have any AA specialization at all until the timer runs down, so I have to keep selecting a sector every 20 seconds, even if I still want the same one. This means I can no longer sail into battle with the gunners already looking in the direction I expect the enemy to come from, but have to wait until I'm under attack.

Then, when I pick the MFCAA it essentially undoes all of this, because it eliminates the changes in continuous damage and instead causes more instantaneous damage (is this the special phase at the beginning, or is it another way of describing flak?). Additionally, I now have to wait LONGER between uses because I have spent 4 captain points for a buff.

What. The. Actual. F.?

Plus, I'd like to think that somebody at WG headquarters has actually done the math on these various options and could give us a few representative graphs of how much damage an incoming attack wave would take under the various options, because otherwise it's going to be pretty difficult for both sides to figure out what the best option is for play. Alas, I fear that would be too much advanced planning for them, so they're just going to have us test it on the live server and act all surprised when it works badly. Bah.

Edited by KaptainNemo_1
corrected rant about 100% of current damage to be health

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,091
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Let me restate it more clearly:

My reading indicates that MFCAA is going to nerf the continuous damage while providing an extra instantaneous-damage burst.

As for the sector reinforcement, that's going to change radically as well.

Current situation: Permanently on at full strength for that side once set.

New situation: In the example given, on for ten seconds once set. One heavy flak burst. Continuous damage spends the first five seconds ramping up to full strength, fires at full strength for another five, then resets to same-both-sides and STAYS that way for a further 10 seconds (as given in the example).

Ships that spend a lot of their time with one side pointed towards the enemy (e.g. slow US standard BBs) are going to have to pay continuous attention to their sector reinforcement. You're not going to be able to set-and-forget while you concentrate on other things. And that cooldown time is potentially going to give aircraft a breather once they've made a left-to-right pass over the ship and are coming around for a second pass on the other side. They'll be making the second pass into a sector that's on cooldown, might still be on 50%, can't deliver an instantaneous burst, and can't deliver more than a 100% burst for some few seconds.

If you mis-time your sector switching, it will be on cooldown when the planes arrive and you won't do as much damage. It will be akin to having to trigger your DFAA at just the right moment, as opposed to having it baited out. Now the CV will be able to bait out your sector switching as well.

I hope you are right about this...  That actually sounds like it could introduce some player skill into both sides of the interaction?   Could be a bit more cumbersome though for torpedo bombers which have a long aim/run time and a lot less control once in the attack?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,931
[ARGSY]
Members
19,960 posts
14,227 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainNemo_1 said:

What. The. Actual. F.?

People wanted to interact with their AA system on a more active basis, so they got that. However, the tweaks have been managed in such a way that potentially makes it more survivable for aircraft, IF the carrier player can bait out the ship's sector switching correctly. MFCAA will murder planes in the outer AA zone with heavy damage from things like US 5 inch and German 5.9 and 4.1 inch, IF the captain can time it right.

1 minute ago, RA6E_ said:

 Could be a bit more cumbersome though for torpedo bombers which have a long aim/run time and a lot less control once in the attack?  

See what I said above about baiting out the sector switch. For the first half of it the continuous AA won't be at full strength, so that will be a buff to aircraft survivability.

8 minutes ago, KaptainNemo_1 said:

3.5% OF THEIR CURRENT HP

I'm scratching my head as well, but we'll see what happens in PTS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×