You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Squib_Surefire

Twelfth Season of Ranked Battles: the Results (WG does not give a s....)

41 comments in this topic

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

So Ranked Season 12 is long past, forgotten by most and a distant memory.  The archived thread with less than 40 posts and over 1100 views was of clear interest and is now locked but there are still some questions that members of the community have asked but have not been commented on.   

@Kami @turbo07 @Femennenly @Gneisenau013 @TheURLGuy @Radar_X

We are told that WG spend many hours reading the forums, listening to the community and responding to posts but this one might have fallen through the cracks.  I know I would be interested in some of the answers and there were others that also went to the effort of asking their own questions that were of interest to them.  Now I concede that WG might not want to answer all the questions for whatever reason and there are others for which there just might not be any statistics but there are few that could be answered I would think.

Here is a list of all the questions from that thread:

• How many "Leave Queues" were hit when there were CV's in the queue?
  • How many games had more then 3 BB's and how many had none?
  • How many games had more than 3 CL's and how many had none?
  • How many games had more than 3 DD's and how many had none?
  • Which ships were the least popular?
  • How many people ranked out using only BB's?
  • How many people ranked out using only CL's?
  • How many people ranked out using only DD's?
  • How many people ranked out using only CVs?
  • How many people played less than 15 games?
  • How many played more than 150 games?

@Tpaktop2_1

• How many rental ships for Rank Season 12
  • What was the most used Rental Ship for Season 12 Rank Battles
  • Average W/R of teams with Rental Ships for Season 12 Rank Battles
  • Average amount of players using Rental Ships on teams for Season 12 Rank Battles
  • Average amount of Carriers per match for Season 12 Rank Battles

@LordOFace (edited)

• could we have a player count and not just a percentage
  • could we have stats for the NA server separated (or at least confirmation on if these stats are for all servers combined?)

@_greifer (edited)

• How many stars were saved by BB's
  • How many stars were saved by CL's
  • How many stars were saved by DD's
  • How many stars were saved by CV's

@JP_DOG (edited)

• How many players ranked out using only Rental Ships?

@TRN2LA (I think Ranked Sprint was being referred to)

• Who ranked out fastest?

@RedSeaBear (edited)

• Can Wargaming share their thoughts on what (in their view) the reasons might be, that players numbers taking part in Ranked are decreasing every season?
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[INTEL]
Members
13,031 posts
35,935 battles
37 minutes ago, Squib_Surefire said:

@RedSeaBear (edited)

• Can Wargaming share their thoughts on what (in their view) the reasons might be, that players numbers taking part in Ranked are decreasing every season?

This last is not true, at least acc'ding to everyone' favorite stats site. 

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/season/index.html

If you click on NA and then on Players for each season, you will see that most seasons are between 36K and 46K players with at least 1 game. 

Edited by Taichunger
  • Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,031 posts
35,935 battles
1 hour ago, Report_CVs said:

I know i personally hit leave que anytime a CV was spotted so maybe 100~

lol, me too. Still had a few Sky Cancer matches, but the other games were ok. 

• Confused 1

[P2W]
Members
426 posts
12,175 battles

I find that the queue numbers are mostly fictional for me. In all game modes I often see things like 0/14/3/10 and end up in a game with 1 CV, 4 BB, 3 CA/CL, 4 DD. I also have games where the queue shows 5 CVs waiting but none in the game. 

• Cool 1

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

So in the 2nd August stream it was commented by @Sub_Octavian that the CV's were a little too effective at saving a star during ranked but nothing more than that.  From my gameplay this was a fairly strong suspicion I had and I suspect one that is shared with many but still no more details. 

[WOLF7]
Members
160 posts
4 hours ago, Squib_Surefire said:

So in the 2nd August stream it was commented by @Sub_Octavian that the CV's were a little too effective at saving a star during ranked but nothing more than that.  From my gameplay this was a fairly strong suspicion I had and I suspect one that is shared with many but still no more details. 

They were much more than "a little too effective" in star savings.  Typical WG glossing over and trying to minimize problems they created.

• Cool 1

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

On 8/2/2019 at 10:44 PM, gslick said:

Typical WG glossing over and trying to minimize problems they created.

I am of the opinion that it is more of a culture thing and make no mistake, every country has them.  It is also neither a good or bad thing, it is just what it is.  Naturally as an outsider to that culture we tend to latch onto what we, as an outsider, find odd about the people and how they do things and most of the time we are over generalizing.

p.s. still waiting for an answer WG.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,719 posts
12,615 battles
On 8/1/2019 at 3:33 AM, Taichunger said:

If you click on NA and then on Players for each season, you will see that most seasons are between 36K and 46K players with at least 1 game. 

1 game? That's not a useful statistic. How many people played at least 25 games? That's much more useful data.

Plenty of people tried New Coke as well.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
On 8/1/2019 at 1:33 AM, Taichunger said:

Counting people that played one game?

That's like saying that these 76k players that played a single game during a month are relevant.....:Smile_teethhappy:

H75kkN0.png

• Boring 1

[DOG]
Members
1,103 posts
11,751 battles
On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:25 PM, Squib_Surefire said:

This is one of my personal frustrations with the way ranked is set up now, although I wasn't aware CVs were even more skewed than BBs.  It's kind of a dilemma.  I am not a fantastic player in any ship, but if my primary concern is getting a team win, I'm more likely to contribute to that when I play a DD.  But the way the points are calculated, it's rare that a DD will be the top scorer on either team.  You can spot, cap, and use torps to herd ships toward ambushes or away from caps, but if you don't actually get a lot of torpedo hits, you are not going to score a lot of points.  Removing the ability of planes to spot torps helped a lot, but at higher tiers even BBs have nimble enough rudders to dodge torps if they're paying attention.  And with RPF, radar, hydro, spotter planes, catapult fighters, and CV aircraft, if a DD is spotted or located at all (or even if the target gets the "detected" alert) they know there are torps in the water, and roughly where they are coming from, even if the DD goes dark and doesn't get insta-deleted.  Solution?  I don't know.  Maybe tweak the points you get for spotting, time spent in caps (or perhaps even a smaller number of points for being within 2km of caps and spotting) to reward doing things that need to be done?

Edited by zubalkabir

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
628 posts
15,231 battles
5 minutes ago, zubalkabir said:

This is one of my personal frustrations with the way ranked is set up now, although I wasn't aware CVs were even more skewed than BBs.  It's kind of a dilemma.  I am not a fantastic player in any ship, but if my primary concern is getting a team win, I'm more likely to contribute to that when I play a DD.  But the way the points are calculated, it's rare that a DD will be the top scorer on either team.  You can spot, cap, and use torps to herd ships toward ambushes or away from caps, but if you don't actually get a lot of torpedo hits, you are not going to score a lot of points.  Removing the ability of planes to spot torps helped a lot, but at higher tiers even BBs have nimble enough rudders to dodge torps if they're paying attention.  And with RPF, radar, hydro, spotter planes, catapult fighters, and CV aircraft, if a DD is spotted or located at all (or even if the target gets the "detected" alert) they know there are torps in the water, and roughly where they are coming from, even if the DD goes dark and doesn't get insta-deleted.  Solution?  I don't know.  Maybe tweak the points you get for spotting, time spent in caps (or perhaps even a smaller number of points for being within 2km of caps and spotting) to reward doing things that need to be done?

On the flip side, it is almost impossible to save a star as a DD. You can do great spotting ships for your team, causing damage to ships and not save a star. Unless your team sits back and lets you cause all the damage you will almost never save a star.

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
1,103 posts
11,751 battles
23 minutes ago, Willy55_1955 said:

On the flip side, it is almost impossible to save a star as a DD. You can do great spotting ships for your team, causing damage to ships and not save a star. Unless your team sits back and lets you cause all the damage you will almost never save a star.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at, albeit in a rambling and wordy fashion.  If you are better at playing DDs, do you play one to improve your chances of a team win?  Or play a BB or CV so you at least have a better chance of saving a star, even if your team loses?  I usually opt for the DD, since saving a star doesn't mean you're actually progressing.  But it's a bit frustrating when you play a really good game, and it's not reflected in the points.

• Cool 1

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

So while the server was down, I took the opportunity to collect all the Developers, Administrators, WG staff and Community Department members that have more than a content count of 50.  A grand total of 16 of them now that Radar_X is no longer in that list (what happened to him?).  6 of them have already been tagged in this thread and not one of them has taken the effort of responding to the original post, or any post for that matter.

@_irony_ @Boyarsky @d_gladkov @defklo @gap_gtn @jasta007 @KirTanbris @MatroseFuchs @MedvedevTD @Pigeon_of_War 

Would any of you care to comment on the requests for more statistic results from Ranked Season 12?

Members
2,415 posts
5,339 battles

Cruiser main players can never save a star. I think saving star crap in rank should be taken away all together. Your team loses? You lose a star. End of story.

• Cool 4

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
10,956 battles
29 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Cruiser main players can never save a star. I think saving star crap in rank should be taken away all together. Your team loses? You lose a star. End of story.

I ran a simulation to analyze the impacts of save a star. the simulation reported the number of games a captain would take to rank out for a given W/R.  I ran the simulation with and without a save a star mode. the results showed an average of 100 game decrease to rank out when compared to the simulation sans save a star.  that's a BIG difference for any player that has the ability to rank out. 

Members
2,415 posts
5,339 battles
1 hour ago, skillztowin said:

I ran a simulation to analyze the impacts of save a star. the simulation reported the number of games a captain would take to rank out for a given W/R.  I ran the simulation with and without a save a star mode. the results showed an average of 100 game decrease to rank out when compared to the simulation sans save a star.  that's a BIG difference for any player that has the ability to rank out. 

I just don't understand the saving star crap. Cruisers 99% of the time will never get the damage numbers BB or CV players get with equal skill. Should be the same for everyone. 

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,152 posts
10,956 battles
20 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

I just don't understand the saving star crap

Ive seen plenty of CAs save stars. I've saved a few myself in CAs. but... save a star is still controversial because of the impact in players game play.

my simulation was also based on the ability to save a star 1/3 of the time. some captains millage will vary. If everyone was able to save stars consistently perhaps the salt would decrease. my simulation doesn't care how you saved 1/3 of the stars and therefore recommends removing the merit based save a star and replace it with two players at random of every losing team are chosen to save a star. then everyone would have a significant ranked improvement experience with equal save a star savings.  selfish gameplay would no longer be rewarded because the star is no longer guaranteed. and the motivations of the player base would shift back onto the one thing that gets you ranked out... Winning. 

coincidentally, this system would not punish good captains much because they would progressing largely by winning games. this would however devastate captains which bought into the save-a-star hype. those with a low W/R but a High save a star rate. 

Edited by skillztowin

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

I dislike certain mechanics as much as anyone else but this is not a post about the game mechanics, the thread is about asking for more statistics for Ranked Season 12 and Ranked Season 13 starts today. 

I would much appreciate a comment from one of WG staff or admins.

Members
126 posts
10,113 battles
On 8/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, awiggin said:

Counting people that played one game?

That's like saying that these 76k players that played a single game during a month are relevant.....:Smile_teethhappy:

H75kkN0.png

I don't think that means 76,576 players on the NA server only played one game of ranked.  What it must really mean is 76,576 players on the NA server played between 1-19 ranked games.  The next stat would be read that 51,135 players on the NA server played between 20 and 99 games, and so on.  I doubt very many players played one game of ranked and said to themselves, "That's it, I'm not doing any more of this."  There is bound to be a few players like that, but not many.  

Looking at these numbers, I'd be pretty frustrated if I played over 1,000 ranked games in one season and failed to rank out.  Damn, 1 player on the NA server played at least 3,000 ranked games.  On the one that shows a lot of dedication.  On the other hand, that's really pathetic.

Edited by Pigus_Drunkus_Maximus

Members
505 posts
6,641 battles

Over a month since the requests for additional stats were requested in the thread started by Wargaming.  That thread was archived and locked so was re-posted here again asking for some sort of feedback.  Numerous admins, staff and developers were included in the messages so they could not have missed it and not one single one of them have the common courtesy to say, sorry but we can not give a comment.  

Great way to engage with your players.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,592 posts
On 8/8/2019 at 1:15 AM, Pigus_Drunkus_Maximus said:

I don't think that means 76,576 players on the NA server only played one game of ranked.  What it must really mean is 76,576 players on the NA server played between 1-19 ranked games.  The next stat would be read that 51,135 players on the NA server played between 20 and 99 games, and so on.  I doubt very many players played one game of ranked and said to themselves, "That's it, I'm not doing any more of this."  There is bound to be a few players like that, but not many.  

Looking at these numbers, I'd be pretty frustrated if I played over 1,000 ranked games in one season and failed to rank out.  Damn, 1 player on the NA server played at least 3,000 ranked games.  On the one that shows a lot of dedication.  On the other hand, that's really pathetic.

Had you looked closer, you would have seen this is server numbers for all modes. For a one month period.

To clarify, i was making a point in responding to someone who said they were counting everyone who played a single game....when you take out the 1 gamers, the stats probably look completely different....more like the overall game.

Edited by awiggin

Members
491 posts
28 minutes ago, Squib_Surefire said:

Over a month since the requests for additional stats were requested in the thread started by Wargaming.  That thread was archived and locked so was re-posted here again asking for some sort of feedback.  Numerous admins, staff and developers were included in the messages so they could not have missed it and not one single one of them have the common courtesy to say, sorry but we can not give a comment.  

Great way to engage with your players.

Never gonna happen. "We listen to the players" is just lip service. I think WG just has a very low opinion of it's own playerbase. In other words, they don't give a flying [edited]. They only care about positive criticism, being stroked and called good little boys and girls. Any negative constructive criticism is ignored. When that turns to salt because of WG ignoring the issue, they get but hurt and blame the playerbase. WGs M.O.

• Boring 1