You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

I planned to dump her, but she did something magnificent and won my heart.

18 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
20,113 posts
14,323 battles

I had never really understood or been impressed with the Kirov, and so I had resolved to sell her as soon as I unlocked the Budyonny. Tonight was the night for that to happen, with only 7042 XP to go and, I figured, a few Random games to push that over. Being eager to accelerate the process, I threw on a 100% camo and an Equal Speed Charlie London and off I went.

WELL.

Matchmaking was kind to me and made me top tier. ONE terrific battle later, I can't bear to get rid of her any more. I understand her now.

She'll sit in port forever, collecting the occasional snowflake and heading out for a quick co-op battle in Type 1 camo to brush it off while she relives the glory days; that last Random battle that was the best battle I ever had in her. 1550 base XP put me at the top of the ladder with 7832 ship XP in my hand after all bonuses, and the Budyonny was mine in one fell swoop.

Thanks are, as always, due to the surviving members of the team I had for bringing it home for the win.

• Cool 7

[FERAL]
Members
87 posts
5,387 battles

I have only obtained 4 krakens in my year playing WoWs and my fourth was in the Kirov. That two was my last battle in her to research the Budyonny. Now she sits with a 1pt captain in her (had a 12 pt cpt) until i can grind more cpt XP. I really began to enjoy the Russian cruisers because of her.

[KWF]
Members
4,372 posts
6,405 battles

Kirov is pretty nice, I remember back when I was started with the line how much I appreciated the firepower of the 180mms, albeit on a clunky platform.

As for Budyonny, in my opinion a pretty strong candidate for best Tier VI tech tree cruiser.

• Cool 2

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
51 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Kirov is pretty nice, I remember back when I was started with the line how much I appreciated the firepower of the 180mms, albeit on a clunky platform.

As for Budyonny, in my opinion a pretty strong candidate for best Tier VI tech tree cruiser.

If you like Kirov, you'll love Molotov. Same hull, but with un-neutered guns. 

[WOLFC]
Members
2,875 posts
16,304 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had never really understood or been impressed with the Kirov ...

Kirov never clicked for me either ... but your story makes me wonder if it was my inexperience at the time I had her, or more probably, poor matchmaking. 

Perhaps with more balanced battles I would have enjoyed her more.  I'm happy you enjoyed her ... I didn't "get" the RU Cruiser line until Budy and Schors. 

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles
56 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Sold Kirov so fast it wasn’t even funny; 5 Randoms, (+10 Co-op,) and done. 60% wr, 1,200 avg xp, 34k avg dmg. 60% survival.

Hated the thing.

4 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Same hull, twice the explodiness. Liked it for Killer Whale, and surprisingly Raptor, but not much else. Reload so slow the gunners must nap between shots.

57 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Only liked Buddy because it reloads faster than The Foreign Minister. My average damage in it is actually less than I scored with Kirov.

[PVE]
Members
1,031 posts
8,572 battles
37 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Having Molotov is the only reason I sold Kirov. Both fun ships

[RLGN]
Members
14,303 posts
25,241 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I guess someone has to like the Russian tech tree cruisers and do well in them.

It certainly isn’t me...

...or something?

Good wr, decent damage, maybe; still hated the three that came after Bogy. 

[ARCO]
Members
833 posts
1,287 battles

Kirov is a capital ship in RU cruiser line, for 2 reasons:

It is one of the few (apart from Molotov, Chapayev and  Kutuzov) that is not papership.

All the line derives from her, in aestethics but also in gameplay. If you do good on Kirov you will excel in Donskoi.

Edited by Patosentado

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu,

Kirov is one of the few tier 5 or lower tech tree ships that I kept.  I think she is a BEAST!  It wasn't love at first sight with me either because of the squishiness.  Those guns though!

Buddy, on the other hand, was love at first sight.  I also think she is one of the best tier 6 cruisers.  She performs admirably in the operations as well.

Shchors.....  I had my best and worst games ever in her.  I kept her because, well, reasons.

Chapayev is a great ship, as is the Lazo.  Lazo is Chapayev downtiered thus making her available for the tier 7 operations.  She does sing in the ops.

I am looking forward to acquiring the Dmitri Donskoi soon. 

Molotov has Dm. Donskoi guns at tier 6.  Caution is advised because she also has Kirov's "explodiness".

[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles

Oh, I almost forgot.  Svietlana!  What a wonderful ship.  She is definitely top of her class.

I actually like the Krasny Krim for that very reason.  She's a Svietlana that let's me work directives and dailys while still getting my Svietlana on.

[4HIM]
Members
3,021 posts
12,631 battles

Hated Kirov when I started playing it (and aren't RU ships typically referred to as 'him'?).  Loved the Buddy.  I think it still holds the highest base XP I've ever done in game to date.  But I still play Kirov from time to time.  Biggest problem is I ground up to Kirov when I was still fairly new and was getting pummeled in it.  It does have paper armor and can't lob shells over islands like the US line.  But once you gel with Kirov, you can do well.  I have one of my Dasha commanders in Kirov right now.  

[ARGSY]
Members
20,113 posts
14,323 battles
38 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

aren't RU ships typically referred to as 'him'?

They are, by the Russians. Being from the British Commonwealth, I will stick to British practice. :Smile_teethhappy:

8 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I guess someone has to like the Russian tech tree cruisers and do well in them.

Well, that was sort of the point of this post. I wasn't a fan by any means, but after an entire grind of 'meh', Kirov turns around and does this.

(Mind you, now that the whole Snowflake thing isn't just a one-off, I've got even less incentive to get rid of her. Plus I'm sure there are going to be giveaway events that require Russian ships at T5 or higher, and having an extra in my port can't hurt.)