You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gamer_60

Someone explain this to me

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF8]
Members
48 posts
696 battles

So I got the chapayev rather recently and have been grinding it. Ironically, as I’ve started to do more damage in the ship, my ship WR plummets. Now looking  at my stats, I’m a pretty terrible player. But still, how is it possible to lose so many? I’ve watched some videos and guides but just can’t seem to win. Perhaps it’s because it’s such a  small sample size? 

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles
13 minutes ago, gamer_60 said:

small sample size? 

Yes.

With a large enough sample size even the worst players in this game (in terrible ships) win 40% or so of their matches, and losing streaks happen to good players too.

Keep trying to improve though. Tier 8 MM can be rough but Chappy is a solid ship.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,459 battles

@gamer_60 Are you surviving the losing battles?

Are you getting destroyed early?

Are you teaming up with others for mutual support?

You are only 1 of 8 or 12 players on your team. So win or lose you are contributing only 1/8th or 1/12th of the teams effort.

Win or lose you the thing common in every team is you. 

[PISD]
Members
1,285 posts
5,290 battles

As said: tier 8 is rather harsh in match making, but it's not all. I find that Chapayev is the kind of ships with a low impact on the game. Sure you can do a lot of damage, but you are unable to contest and dev strike enemy ships like many other ships. You end up in some kind of passenger seats where you cannot carry the team or change the flow of the game

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,816 posts
4,631 battles
55 minutes ago, gamer_60 said:

So I got the chapayev rather recently and have been grinding it. Ironically, as I’ve started to do more damage in the ship, my ship WR plummets. Now looking  at my stats, I’m a pretty terrible player. But still, how is it possible to lose so many? I’ve watched some videos and guides but just can’t seem to win. Perhaps it’s because it’s such a  small sample size? 

Chappy is okay.  IMO your problem is that you're trying to maintain at T8 with only 550 battles.  Spend 500 more battles grinding a new line or two.   If you really want to get better, you can.  But you won't without more experience.  In general, 1000 games is the breakover point where a player starts to "get it". 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,445 posts
14,165 battles

This things come to mind here. A bad luck streak or you are pushing up the trees too hard or even a combination of both.

[RLGN]
Members
14,334 posts
25,271 battles
59 minutes ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Keep trying to improve though. Tier 8 MM can be rough but Chappy is a solid ship.

I’ll have to take your word for that; not a fan of RU cruisers. (Except Mikey K. and The Donut.)

[SIM]
Members
4,943 posts
8,026 battles

Your Win/Loss rate decreasing even as your damage improves isn't as strange as it may seem. If you're on a bad team, your teammates aren't taking the best shots or picking up the damage that they should. That leaves more opportunities for you to rack up damage points that otherwise wouldn't be available to you. With no disrespect, with the amount of battles that you have under your belt you're still very much a green player. Just focus on doing the best that you can, and if you're interested in raising your game look up some posts on the forum or some videos on Youtube that discuss strategy and techniques. Don't sweat your stats too much at this stage in your Warships career.

[POP]
Members
1,573 posts
22,607 battles

You have a pretty low number of battles overall, I would not get too distraught over it as you are still learning. Learn to keep your ship relatively safe and abuse line of sight if you can. Keep islands between you and anyone who can see you while still allowing yourself to fire on the red team. Do not get locked in to close to a cap too early in the match, watch the mini map and let the DDs/CV do the spotting for you.

Members
667 posts
9,190 battles
26 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I’ll have to take your word for that; not a fan of RU cruisers. (Except Mikey K. and The Donut.)

No, I hear ya.  In the tech tree Budyonny and Shchors are very good IMO and still a blast to play but the top tiers not so much.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,345 posts
19,596 battles
1 hour ago, gamer_60 said:

Ironically, as I’ve started to do more damage in the ship, my ship WR plummets.

High damage numbers come from burning battleships and continuing to do so even after the game is decided. High damage, low influence.

High influence often comes with low damage because it's damage against destroyers (who have fewer HP) or you so thoroughly kick the legs out from under the enemy team that they collapse and the game ends quickly.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
1,042 posts
17,813 battles
1 hour ago, gamer_60 said:

It's a complex game covered in a veneer of arcade-game simplicity. One facet of that is damage. As others mentioned, doing more damage could be at the expense of damage that matters. Also, as other have mentioned, while we all learn and integrate learning at different rates, experience brings new understandings about the game. Different tiers, different types (CL/CA/CC), different armor schemes and projectile speeds and trajectories, different maps, different possible ships on the red team... and a host of other things all contribute to the challenge of playing cruisers, particularly at high tiers where mistakes are increasingly costly. And yes, random chance can lead to some ugly losing streaks no matter how well we may play.

Though you likely will not read it on any WGing materials, there is little reason to race through the tiers. More than perhaps any other contributing factor, an inability to play effectively at high tiers can lead to serious frustration with the game. I recommend strongly taking your time with each ship, in each line, at each tier, to get a handle on what there is to learn there before moving to the next tier.

Specifically with the ship and line you are working on, I recommend staying well back, making use of cover whenever possible to keep solid objects between you and BBs capable of one-shotting you, looking for opportunities to blap DDs and to keep BBs engaged with others on your team continuously burning.

Kudos to you for seeking advice. My final recommendation is to consider joining a clan where you can play the game in a division with more experienced players who may be willing to offer advice and feedback during your games.

Respects,

Am

[WOLFG]
Members
29,147 posts
8,353 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Chappy's pretty much the same as Mikey, just without the smoke.