You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
enderland07

Great NTC 2.0, now just make the reward ships less stupid OP

133 comments in this topic

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles

I actually like the new approach to the NTC, described on reddit (see bottom of post for link).

However, please for the love of all that is balance in WoWS don't make stupidly OP ships for the rewards.

• Cool 5
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[APES]
Members
1,488 posts
8,380 battles

It's looking like it will have the same effect as the first proposed NTC just tuned down a little.  Tier 10 used to be a balanced tier for clan battles.

• Cool 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

It's looking like it will have the same effect as the first proposed NTC just tuned down a little.  Tier 10 used to be a balanced tier for clan battles.

That's my worry.

I do like the idea of this a lot, I think cosmetic rewards could be useful too but WG has decided against those.

I just don't want busted ships being released and breaking all TX balancing.

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,196 battles
9 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

That's my worry.

I do like the idea of this a lot, I think cosmetic rewards could be useful too but WG has decided against those.

Am I reading this right, you have to redo FIVE branches to afford one ship? 

Edited by BarneyStyle
  • Confused 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
1 minute ago, BarneyStyle said:

Am I reading this right, you have to redo SIX branches to afford one ship? 

4 for the Colbert.  The first line counts double.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
9 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

You are aware the Stalingrad exists right?

• Boring 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, BarneyStyle said:

Am I reading this right, you have to redo SIX branches to afford one ship? 

No.

You get 10k for free and each line is 10k, but you get 20k for a line each season depending on how long this deal goes. So if that lasts 3 seasons, you'd be able to get 70k total credits, which would give you the Colbert and 13k bonus points.

It could change as "initial stage" isn't defined though.

At the initial stage, the impact of the seasons on the Research bureau will be that the ships of the first branch reset in the season will receive a multiplier of double the amount of research points. This bonus will remain on the ships until the player gains his first victory on them.

[OO7]
Members
540 posts
6,757 battles

Stalingrad is not OP, it has its strong points but also glaring weak points.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

You are aware the Stalingrad exists right?

Oh get out of here with this rhetoric.

Having played the:

• Current Ohio
  • Current Stalingrad
  • Current Colbert

the Stalingrad is not remotely close to what the Ohio/Colbert offer skilled players.

Maybe if you suck at the game, Stalingrad will be more OP than those two. Though given my experience in random battles with average players in the Stalin, it's not close to OP for them. I would much prefer legendary Moskva in random games than the Stalin having played both.

Edited by enderland07
  • Cool 2

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,355 posts
20,042 battles

If they redid your stats per the line you redo I'd be all for it Make up for all my bad play in my early games

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
Just now, enderland07 said:

Oh get out of here with this rhetoric.

Having played the:

• Current Ohio
  • Current Stalingrad
  • Current Colbert

the Stalingrad is not remotely close to what the Ohio/Colbert offer skilled players. 

Overpowered is still overpowered. Just because the Colbert is *worse* doesn't mean the Stalingrad didn't tip the balance as well. $99 is less than $100 but just because it's technically worse doesn't totally negate that it's still a great thing to find on the sidewalk.

• Cool 1

0 posts
22 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I actually like the new approach to the NTC, described on reddit (see bottom of post for link).

Let's get this straight, you like the idea of regrinding x5 tech trees (with option of converting for cash all the xp that has been dropped on the t1, to free xp, to speed up the process)?

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

Overpowered is still overpowered. Just because the Colbert is *worse* doesn't mean the Stalingrad didn't tip the balance as well. $99 is less than $100 but just because it's technically worse doesn't totally negate that it's still a great thing to find on the sidewalk.

Stalingrad isn't overpowered. Unless you think legendary Moskva is more OP?

I doubt you will find above a small number of purple players calling Stalin stronger than legendary Moskva. I am unaware of any purple player saying that the Ohio isn't blatantly OP.

Members
6,858 posts
15,340 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

You have to remember that he's talking about skilled players 

• Funny 3

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,728 posts

This new NTC / Research Bureau thing still involves selling off my ships that I already play and regrinding what I already earned.

Therefore, it is still 100% no-go for me.  I will never do it.

NTC or whatever they end up calling it has nothing to do with actually getting players to play more battles at lower tiers, it's entirely about trying to extract money out of that EXP that's sitting on so many of our ships unconverted.  It's clear that WG considers unconverted EXP "lost revenue", and this is a transparent attempt to monetize it. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 7

[OO7]
Members
540 posts
6,757 battles

The only people who think stalin is OP are the bad players... mr. RC here also think dd are over powered.  You wont win the stalin debate against him, he will be posting excerpts from his PhD thesis on why stalin is OP soon if you keep this going.

• Funny 3

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,727 posts
6,987 battles
2 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

You have to remember that he's talking about skilled players 

yeah,i don't find stalingrad OP.

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,196 battles
7 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

No.

You get 10k for free and each line is 10k, but you get 20k for a line each season depending on how long this deal goes. So if that lasts 3 seasons, you'd be able to get 70k total credits, which would give you the Colbert and 13k bonus points.

It could change as "initial stage" isn't defined though.

That’s a significant grind, I’ll pass, I’m trying to grind through the RU DD line right now and I’m only at tier 7... yikes

Members
6,858 posts
15,340 battles
Just now, mixmkz said:

The only people who think stalin is OP are the bad players... mr. RC here also think dd are over powered.  You wont win the stalin debate against him, he will be posting excerpts from his PhD thesis on why stalin is OP soon if you keep this going.

Shoot, I only have a masters thesis on why it isn't OP.... 

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
5 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Stalingrad isn't overpowered. Unless you think legendary Moskva is more OP?

I doubt you will find above a small number of purple players calling Stalin stronger than legendary Moskva. I am unaware of any purple player saying that the Ohio isn't blatantly OP.

I didn't say the Ohio wasn't OP, I said it was worse in the sense that it (the Colbert specifically but same issue) is worse for game balance. And I would argue the Moskva is overpowered compared to the other T10's CA's, especially with that free 50mm scrate and hidden (from armour viewer) 100mm bow plate that largely prevents long range face pens to her cit. And regardless of the Moskva, the Stalingrad has straight advantages not given to ANY of the other tier ships and pays very little for them.

Do not mistake 'overpowered' with 'win machine.' The two are different concepts. Overpowered just means it bucks the relative quality trend which the Stalingrad very much does.

Edited by _RC1138

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
Just now, LoveBote said:

Let's get this straight, you like the idea of regrinding x5 tech trees (with option of converting for cash all the xp that has been dropped on the t1, to free xp, to speed up the process)?

Yes, I do, though if you actually read it's currently 3 lines.

There are many, many players who have checked all the boxes on their main account and literally are playing alt accounts because they are bored with the game. WoWS needs something for that type of player.

As long as the ships aren't blatantly OP (which is concerning), I have no problems with this. I say this as someone who will likely at most regrind 1 line a season.

Basically, there are two types of whales in games (and sometimes players are both):

1. Time whales - people playing the game constantly, completing all events, etc
  2. $$$$ whales - people willing to pay to grind (and hopefully, never pay to win)

I am neither of these. However. I acknowledge that WG needs both types of whales to succeed as a company - (1) fill the game with players and keep the player base alive, (2) in order to stay profitable.

This NTC/Research Bureau is catering specifically to those two types of whales. If you are neither, you will not really like it because either the money or time requirement seems excessive. But WG needs content like this for the game to survive, especially for (1) whales, and since I want WoWS to succeed, I am a fan of the idea... even though I likely will not benefit much at all from it.

• Cool 3

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

I think the NTC/RB annoys people because:

• Game companies are abusing the gaming communities ability to put up with massive, repetitive gameplay, as long as there is a reward for it
  • The fact that they obviously couldn't come up with a better idea than this (Seriously, a 4 year old could have come up with this idea).
  • Cool 1