You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ocoda

Tier 10 Ships you don't play anymore and why

30 comments in this topic

[PLDN]
Members
270 posts

Now before you read this this is not a moan and groan post just a curious play on ships question as we the players learn a ship and then the game changes to add new ships or add buffs or nerfs for older ships and the play style you learned in your ship is now useless. So do you mothball your ship or do you start over relearning the ship?

My very first tier 10 was the GK it was a awesome to play it and although it was bulky and slow and easily detectable it could take a lot of punishment. Nonetheless i lost a lot in her and i mean a lot but i was determined to get good with it and i turned it around with the help of an old unicom player X15 who helped me refine my playing skill in her.... that was until the invention of the HE spammers like the Harugumo entered the game. I was just dumbfounded at how this ship easily destroyed all the love out playing the GK, so i did what any reasonable person would do i learned how to play the Haru and have never looked back. Now my second Tier 10 is a different story, I use to love my Hindi also but when they nerfed her i noticed she was a liability instead of an asset and lost so much in her i stopped playing her, but i'm told she was buffed back and i'm trying to relearn her again.  I understand that the game is always going under balance checks and Nerfs and Buffs are part of the game but i do miss playing my GK like i use to. just took it out today and lost 3 games in a row with it so back to mothballs for her. So what tier 10 ship have you had to mothball and why ?

Members
890 posts
14,058 battles

I have played tier 10 exactly 3 times in the last couple of years. Too many gimmicks. Too many power creep ships. Radar that sees through rocks. It's just not fun to play up there anymore. Hasn't been for quite a while.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

I don't play tier 10 as much as I'd like simply due to the service costs.  I can make it back playing lower tiers but it is so dishearteneing to play a match and think you did ok, only to return to port and see you lost 200k.  The premium consumables being free will help a bit I guess.

Other than that, I have the GK also and yea, battleships are just in a rough spot.  I think I aim ok and hit where I should, but just can't seem to do the "oh man" damage others do to me consistently.  I tend to stick to spammers now, where the location doesn't matter as much as volume.

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,759 battles

I don't play my Groz, DM, Wooster or YY much anymore. 

No great reason (except YY, she was nerfed too hard), just moved on to other T10 boats. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

When I played, I avoided tier 10 because of the stagnant gameplay that immediately and heavily punished you for even the slightest mistake. I'm not patient enough to enjoy that environment.

Mid-tiers actually reward aggression, in tier 10 if you're seen you're dead.

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,029 posts
5,690 battles

Of the T10 ships I own, and there aren't many....

Harugumo, Shimakaze (just got), Midway, Hakuryu, Worchester are the only ones I own.

I play Harugumo all the time, love it, will probably stop playing it after the IFHE nerf kills it.

Shima, just got it, but didn't really like it in the few games I've tried it so far, torpedo angles are just really bad, needs more time.

Midway, stopped playing it after the 8.4 DB nerf killed most the reason to play the ship.   Tried it once or twice after that nerf, it just doesn't have anything anymore

Hakuryu, my "go-to" T10 CV if I still have one of those.   Just don't enjoy T10 CV play, no credit earning, not fun, AA is stupid, its just not as good as the CV I'd prefer to play overall, Enterprise.

Worchester, first T10 I ever got, its great at firing over islands and using radar....thats all I got.   

I am enjoying Georgia and Benham at T9 though.

[PENND]
Members
355 posts
7,641 battles

I don't take Harugumo out anymore as I seen to always get the potato teams when I play her. 17 straight loosing streak sealed her fate for me.

Alpha Tester
1,635 posts
9,525 battles

Stopped playing most of mine. I play very little now as the whole game is going down hill, but will say the last few I remember was the Brit DD. Third game in it and was being yelled at that I was playing it wrong, regardless of me explaining that I have not had the ship long. Sick of the people that sit at tier 10, getting sick of the game in general.

[CAST]
Members
4,996 posts
3,513 battles

I have a bunch of Tier 10 ships, but I'm not a big fan of Tier 10 in general, although that depends on the ship.

For example, while I love BBs in the mid tiers, I can't stand playing them at Tier 10 as they turn like molasses. Although I do play Conq as she's quite agile.

My personal favorite tier is Tier 7. I also love Tier 8, but those poor ships get placed into Tier 10 matches way too often to be enjoyable.

[Y0L0]
Members
227 posts
20,799 battles

Yeuyang was my favorite ship then it was brutally and illogically nerfed it in the face of almost universal opposition.   I refuse to play it now.  Definitely not alone on that as you almost never see them anymore.  Buffs and nerfs are supposed to be about balance so what sense does it make to nerf something to the point that it stops being played?  Giving back a pitiful 10 sec of torp reload is not doing to change that.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,215 posts
21,436 battles

Ships I avoid playing: YY, Hak, Midway, Audacious, Moskva

Ships I don't play not because I am necessarily against them; but there are more fun options: Shima, Gearing, and Mino.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,169 battles

I barley play any tier 10 ships but I’m in tier 10 all the time . 

• Funny 2

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,195 battles

Montana and Gearing see regular play. Play Des Moines occasionally, Worcester not at all. Stopped playing Audacious and Daring. Minotaur and Conqueror are low-play ships. Yamato gets a daily outing in co-op towards the special upgrade. I was going to grind to Harugumo and said screw it, not worth the effort for a nerfed paper DD.

[-AGW-]
Members
978 posts
13,552 battles

I don't really enjoy any of them. GK, Henri, Moskva, Republique.

I can't make them work, though I had the occasional good game in all of them.

The funny thing is I do better in some T10 games with T8 and T9 ships :Smile_amazed:

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,248 posts
19,606 battles

Khabarovsk, game changed too much for it

[JMMAF]
Members
456 posts
8,164 battles

Minotaur and YY.

YY has nothing that makes it compelling. Deepwater torps aren't enough to offset how weak she is in comparison to other DD's.

Minotaur - Its more of a me problem, I  just cant make the arcing shells work in that crap (have no problems with wooster) and I Always seem to get hit at odd angles and eat cit's all day.

Members
1,434 posts
17,129 battles

I sold the Midway with the rest of my CV fleet for reasons. I play the rest of my T10s as often as most of the other tiers. My Yamato is the only one that I can make money in most of the time. As others have pointed out it's expensive to take them out and only have an "average" game. It's not that big a limiting factor for me as I make plenty of coin elsewhere in the game.

[P2W]
Members
426 posts
12,216 battles

I just have 3 - Des Moines, GK, and Shima. I love the Shima and play it early and often. GK is fairly new to me and I have yet to figure it out, but still liking it.

DM - I have no idea what you are supposed to do with this ship. I see all these people hiding behind rocks and sending invisible-to-the-target daka downrange, but I can't figure out the hang of it. So, unless I'm working on something that literally requires a T10 American Cruiser, it stays safely locked up in the curio cabinet.

Members
31 posts
3,537 battles
2 hours ago, Prothall said:

I have played tier 10 exactly 3 times in the last couple of years. Too many gimmicks. Too many power creep ships. Radar that sees through rocks. It's just not fun to play up there anymore. Hasn't been for quite a while.

Yep, radar is a real downer. I have no access to radar and cannot practice how to avoid it or react to it. It is particularly painful in the Sims DD, which does not even have sound surveillance. Being matched against ships with radar makes you completely helpless.

Peter

[HINON]
Members
3,254 posts
26,519 battles

Gearing. To be honest I was never able to adjust after the Fletcher grind. It was such a good bote and so much fun that after 20 ish mediocre performances in the Gearing, I put my 19pt USN DD cap right back in the Fletcher.

• Cool 1

[0456]
Members
3,618 posts
9,586 battles

I have 12 tier 10s and most sit in port since I don’t feel I excelled at harnessing their strengths enough to have the impact needed in game. 

Some of them changed quite a bit and I didn’t- not enough anyway. 

I occasionally play Montana but as one of my first tier 10s I was terrible in it (and tier 8+ overall) so Parked it... dubious I’d ever make it shine. 

GKF was a favorite until the advent of mass HE spam all around and the fire alarm was triggering for me. I parked it, suspect of my ability to work it the way it needed to be. 

Minotaur was a bit of a risk but I thought I could make it work as my situational awareness improved but increased radar and the work involved in making a difference was less than inspiring. Others could make her tick but I generally stay away from it. I made the mistake of pretty much skimming through the entire line so never really got used to how it was supposed to be played- my own fault and I paid for it.

Des Moines had some potential but like Mino I was on easy street right up until I went to battle- then the reality of my lazy whale-ish ways got the best of me. I had a few good games but most were losses... usually because I wasn’t doing what I was supposed to be doing. 

Worthlesstor... no idea why I got it other than I wanted to be on the donating end of the fire spam for awhile. I suck in it and the novelty wore off. Might have been different if the water could catch fire but I watched my win rate and main battery accuracy predictably drop.

Moskva was one of the cruisers I worked through the line for... to a point. It was one of my first and at the time there weren’t a lot of other tier 10 cruisers. Subsequent cruisers power crept it leaving it a shadow of its former self. Stay at range, tank in close- everything else did everything better. 

Yamato came a long a bit later for me but still just never felt like I could adapt to the way it played. My long range shooting wasn’t great and while it has improved my desire to play it is absent. 

I bit into the Conqueror lusting for low concealment values and being able to get in a bit closer for 12 gun ambushes but while my average damage was / is the highest of any ship I have, the numbers were mostly repairable fire damage and resulted in having limited impact in the game and a proliferation of fireproof achievements for my opponents. 

I liked Grozovoi and was able to make it work to a limited degree and then they actually made it better in some ways... but I didn’t adjust well to those changes and have been hesitant to take it out much. Those times I do I tend to do okay but lose a lot. I often feel this is because I’m not having the impact a tier 10 DD needs to have...

I do still run Hindie and feel as though it has remained relatively consistent throughout. I didn’t understand it well at first but watched a lot of videos and gradually improved. I still play it and am relatively confident though admittedly I’m just happy to be about average in it.

Khab is a bit love hate... many seem to think it’s an I win button but over time it’s been pulled back quite a bit and while excellent players are able to dominate and impact game outcomes I’m still just trying to keep my guns firing as much as possible while tracking the progress of the match. I do still enjoy playing it.

I do play Republique since I think it looks cool and I like the capacity of the main battery. I like the secondaries as well... and the speed boost can be a game changer. I’m still struggling to have a consistent impact- as I do with so many ships and unfortunately my win rate in it isn’t great. Moving in sooner and trading more HP is generally my sticking point across all my battleships- very, very good players have told me this several times I just can’t make it happen. 

So yeah- I’m not playing tier x as much as I used to... but I do feel as though my experience in that tier did help make me a more decisive player in mid tier.