You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Stormbringer924

Exeter is awsome

24 comments in this topic

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
100 posts
14,146 battles

I have to say, The Exeter is most likely the best t5 cruiser out there. As it was an event reward, I'm not sure it is available through the store. ( please correct me if I'm wrong) If you haven't had a chance to play one, you are missing out. With getting bored with high tier play, and not all that interested in seal clubbing, I find myself playing the t5-t7 much more often. I didn't play this ship much after I got it, but  in the last few week's I have been running it much more and it is a beast. While it only has 6 gun's, they are 203's with standard reload time. Along the line's of a standard RN CL it has the fast acceleration that is a life saver when you have to bug out. Decent torps with decent AA. But the gun's are the star's of the show. With both type's of ammo available it can lay waste to any CL/CA it come's across. I have burned BB's to the ground at max range. 

If you get a chance to get this bad boy, Do it. It is well worth the price for an effective and fun CL that won't under perform. In the hand's of  a competent player it is a solid choice.

That's my 2 cent's

• Cool 6

[WHARF]
Members
249 posts
17,409 battles
7 minutes ago, Stormbringer924 said:

I have to say, The Exeter is most likely the best t5 cruiser out there. As it was an event reward, I'm not sure it is available through the store. ( please correct me if I'm wrong) If you haven't had a chance to play one, you are missing out. With getting bored with high tier play, and not all that interested in seal clubbing, I find myself playing the t5-t7 much more often. I didn't play this ship much after I got it, but  in the last few week's I have been running it much more and it is a beast. While it only has 6 gun's, they are 203's with standard reload time. Along the line's of a standard RN CL it has the fast acceleration that is a life saver when you have to bug out. Decent torps with decent AA. But the gun's are the star's of the show. With both type's of ammo available it can lay waste to any CL/CA it come's across. I have burned BB's to the ground at max range. 

If you get a chance to get this bad boy, Do it. It is well worth the price for an effective and fun CL that won't under perform. In the hand's of  a competent player it is a solid choice.

That's my 2 cent's

Totally agree...love playing her

[-N-]
Members
262 posts
15,675 battles

It definitely took a bit of time to get used to not having smoke, but once I accepted that fact, and embraced her excellent maneuverability and stealth,  she's a solid ship. Ambush tactics, alpha strike, dynamic switching of ammo types, all for a great experience. Although being uptiered sucks, when doesn't it? At least she's not Emerald.

And she is available in the Premium Shop. Although before picking her up I strongly recommend having either a spare 10 point captain, or enough elite XP to promote one. With no smoke Exeter's concealment is her armor, and without CE it's like 10.1 or something.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/vehicles/11754/

[CAST]
Members
4,981 posts
3,513 battles

As far as I'm concerned, Exeter is the best Tier 5 cruiser hands down. Fututaka is also very good, but I think Exeter beats it simply due to her great concealment (WAY better than Furry's) and her heal. That concealment is king for ambushing broadside cruisers who's paper thin armor at that tier all but guarantees multiple citadel hits from those 203s.

Curiously, I too thought she'd be shizer when she came out. And then she proved me wrong time and time again.

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
100 posts
14,146 battles

Well the Kirov is better at the long range game, the exeter with it's better concealment can get in range and lay waste to the kirov. it doesn't have the armour to stand up to the 203's as well as the torp's.  the furutaka is a good boat but has most of the same problem's.  Making use of the exeter's repair party give's it an advantage in slugging match's with other cruiser's. As it is very nimble and with the point captain skill's it can OP a furutaka in short order. But as the case with all thing's, it is up to the player to make the most out of any ship they  run.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,033 posts
10,089 battles

I'm still of the firm opinion they could have stuffed her in at tier 6.

• Cool 2

[CAST]
Members
4,981 posts
3,513 battles
6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

You mean her original test build with the 12s reload (or was it 10?) and smoke?

[AAA]
Members
127 posts
27,054 battles
10 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

sssshhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

[WG-CC]
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
8 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

You mean her original test build with the 12s reload (or was it 10?) and smoke?

I mean they could get away with it as she is now and she'd be merely okay.  Giving her smoke and the 12s reload would make her hella powerful at tier 6.

[RLGN]
Members
14,266 posts
25,117 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Furutaka is better.

Who knows? Like them both.

1 hour ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Kirov.

Explodes too easily.

[WSU]
Members
4 posts
9,851 battles

I have both Exeter and Furutaka and see them as the best at their tier.  

[-N-]
Members
262 posts
15,675 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 1:34 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I mean they could get away with it as she is now and she'd be merely okay.  Giving her smoke and the 12s reload would make her hella powerful at tier 6.

To be a successful T6 she'd definitely need either the smoke, the 12 second reload, slightly more armor that is actually armor, or all of the above.

[WG-CC]
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
Just now, Nine_Lives_ said:

To be a successful T6 she'd definitely need either the smoke, the 12 second reload, slightly more armor that is actually armor, or all of the above.

Bumping her up to tier 6 would automatically give her a 16mm bow/deck to conform to cruiser norms.  That would give her the ability to autobounce up to 229mm AP shells which is a pretty huge buff.  Everything else after that would be gravy.

• Cool 2

[--V--]
Members
1,410 posts
13,573 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 1:18 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yes, but she wouldn't be fun facing T8's.  IMO

[WG-CC]
12,033 posts
10,089 battles
13 minutes ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Yes, but she wouldn't be fun facing T8's.  IMO

Yes, but what tier 6 cruiser ever celebrates facing tier 8s? 

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
1,410 posts
13,573 battles
4 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yes, but what tier 6 cruiser ever celebrates facing tier 8s? 

I dunno.  There are a few I don't mind taking to T8 match:

French - De Grasse

US - P'cola (which I actually like playing)

Russian - Molotov (which I love playing)

[ARGSY]
Members
20,014 posts
14,281 battles
On 7/31/2019 at 3:04 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I'll take the Original Exeter at Tier 6 as HMS York, please. :Smile_great:

[4HIM]
Members
3,015 posts
12,550 battles
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, LittleWhiteMouse said:

So much this.  I didn't get it in the event.  But if it was T6 I'd consider picking it up.  At least T6 can run in Ops, where T5 can't.  And T6 gets better XP for captain training as well.  

[WOLF3]
Members
27,005 posts
23,801 battles

203mm guns is really strong in Tier V considering the abundant amount of Cruisers there with even more abundantly bad armor.  Omaha-class in particular is very popular.  152mm AP already Overmatches them, so Furutaka, Exeter with 8" guns are murder against the Cruisers here.

[FML]
Members
3,939 posts
15,481 battles
On 8/1/2019 at 1:39 AM, Helstrem said:

Furutaka is better.

I have to admit, the Furry Taco has more torps at longer range.  But seriously, the Exeter's heal at T5 is simply OP - I'd now take an Exeter over a Furutaka any day...

On 8/1/2019 at 1:41 AM, Captain_Slattery said:

Kirov.

I enjoyed my Kirov, but it was a different style of play.  To do well in the Kirov, it was long rang, no risks, spam HE onto battleships.  On rare occasions, a cruiser at short range would be broadside, so its AP would be devastating.  

But an Exeter does the cruiser killing just as well if not better, its heal combined with other tools incl sonar and plane means it can be closer to the action and take more risks, and it can still start fires at long range (just not as well).  Again, I think the heal makes the Exeter a much stronger ship. 

Still, all three are good choices...