Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wepps

Jaguar is terrible...

60 comments in this topic

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

Well, it depends what you do with it. I had a match last night in which I yolo-ed the enemy cap right from the start. I figured if I could find a nearby BB and take her down, that would be about the best I could do in the ship.

I rounded the center island, and 5 enemy opened up on me, including ... King George V, who sadly didn't make it. I LOLed, thought that was fun, now I'm dead. Somehow, don't ask me what happened, I managed to escape around a large island with 20 hps left on the ship. Right into New York. Who then bought the farm. I was looking for a place to hide, but there was a Pencola rounding the island I was trying to get behind, and a Jaguar coming around the other way. The Jaguar bought it. And my teammates took down the Pencola for teh win.

77k damage output, I survived lol. I figured, there is no possible way I will beat that score in this ship ever.

Next game, 87k. Then this...

It's not so bad a ship after all.

shot-19.07.31_00.40.58-0863.jpg

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

Well, for Co-op purposes Nicholas is just way better than Jaguar and she's a tech tree ship.  Jaguar's torps hit hard but the reload is slow and the max torps is low.  Nicholas' torps are weaker, but you get 12 torps and fast reloads.  I wasn't too fond of Jaguar even for Co-op and as soon as my mission for her to get some tokens was done, I haven't even looked at her in port since.  In Co-op where it's a DD's World to take over, Jaguar is pretty mediocre.

• Cool 2

[MUDDX]
Beta Testers
8,144 posts
22,442 battles

@Wepps I am happy with all my French CVs so far. In co op and random I have had great results.

@HazeGrayUnderway The advance release French DDs are tech tree ships with temporary premium benefits. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Well, for Co-op purposes Nicholas is just way better than Jaguar and she's a tech tree ship.  Jaguar's torps hit hard but the reload is slow and the max torps is low.  Nicholas' torps are weaker, but you get 12 torps and fast reloads.  I wasn't too fond of Jaguar even for Co-op and as soon as my mission for her to get some tokens was done, I haven't even looked at her in port since.  In Co-op where it's a DD's World to take over, Jaguar is pretty mediocre.

I do enjoy the American DDs. For some reason I always perform best in those.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,496 posts
24,765 battles

I find myself chanting, "No Smoke, No Smoke" at the beginning of every battle.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
7 hours ago, Efros said:

I find myself chanting, "No Smoke, No Smoke" at the beginning of every battle.

It's funny, because I've played my USN DDs in Co-op using their fabulous smoke to help out Cruisers behind me, but they just play as if I never dropped it.  In Randoms, you do that for a Cruiser, they're ecstatic for it, especially Radar Cruisers.  In Co-op, people don't know what to do with smoke that you provide for them.  I.e. In Randoms, I drop smoke outside the cap so the DM player can get up close (but not torpedo range close) without getting spotted far away and help support the cap effort with its Radar and rapid firing 203mm guns.  In Co-op, that Cruiser player is clueless.  That is why I stopped dropping smoke for people in Co-op, I'll save it for myself.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
57 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's funny, because I've played my USN DDs in Co-op using their fabulous smoke to help out Cruisers behind me, but they just play as if I never dropped it.  In Randoms, you do that for a Cruiser, they're ecstatic for it, especially Radar Cruisers.  In Co-op, people don't know what to do with smoke that you provide for them.  I.e. In Randoms, I drop smoke outside the cap so the DM player can get up close (but not torpedo range close) without getting spotted far away and help support the cap effort with its Radar and rapid firing 203mm guns.  In Co-op, that Cruiser player is clueless.  That is why I stopped dropping smoke for people in Co-op, I'll save it for myself.

My cruisers always seem to be spotted from another direction anyway. The best play in Myoko type cruisers or pencola is to Island hop and use that to actually stop the shells that find me in smoke anyway.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
160 posts
15,132 battles

I too am amazed at the cruisers who ignore available smoke or sit in the smoke firing long after they're visible.

For everyone that does not know their smoke vis range, you can get it in-game by holding down the "h" key. Look for "Visibility after firing main guns in smoke" or something like that. This is helpful for people like me who cycle through a lot of ships and can't remember the range by heart for every one of them.

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

Maybe, but then the cruiser player doesn't have the smoke timer like you do, doesn't know when to light the engines and find a better spot, and I have never seen a DD that even gave me the time of day.

If my cruiser is ineffective in its position I will move. Otherwise, I'll certainly help you survive best I can because if I don't, I'm next. As a cruiser, I am always wondering what my DD next to me is doing because working with him is the best opportunity for a higher score. He will spot the DDs first, more than likely, and the DDs are my primary job. If I don't kill at least one early in a fight they aren't anywhere near me.

• Boring 1

[WOLFC]
Members
160 posts
15,132 battles

Wait, doesn't every ship who's actually inside a smoke cloud get the timer even if it's not their smoke? I always do.

A destroyer will usually lay smoke for its own purposes, but a supporting cruiser is sometimes well positioned to just ease into said smoke if the range to target is far enough. Again, you need to know when you'll be spotted in smoke so you know when to either stop firing and warm up the torpedo launcher or get the h*ll out of town.

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles
7 minutes ago, aardvark7734 said:

Wait, doesn't every ship who's actually inside a smoke cloud get the timer even if it's not their smoke? I always do.

A destroyer will usually lay smoke for its own purposes, but a supporting cruiser is sometimes well positioned to just ease into said smoke if the range to target is far enough. Again, you need to know when you'll be spotted in smoke so you know when to either stop firing and warm up the torpedo launcher or get the h*ll out of town.

LOL it's probably supposed to be there but with my luck the smoke isn't anymore. I've found it most successful and best for the team in coop to island hop. I know how to manipulate the cruiser to be effective and survive, usually.

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

I had a rough go with the Jaguar but I was shown how to use a Jaguar to draw the red DD's to teammates and then target BB's & cruisers. My Coop score improved greatly.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts

NOTE / PSA:

The early-access ships come with the upgrades, but do not default to having the upgrades mounted.

This can make a big difference on most ships.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,345 posts
6,239 battles

I think Jaguar is fine. I suppose there're better botes in the game that can do similar role, but I believe her true strength comes out whenever the speed booster is active. You can just zip past the bots and pepper them with 130mm shells, lol.

I suppose I'm fine with a ship like her, because I always played my Harekaze with the TRB and not the smoke. It's kind of fun (lel?) at times when you can just dance around the concealment range & some islands, with no smoke to fall back on if things get hairy, while the bots try to get you like some hungry bloodhounds... lul. :Smile_veryhappy::Smile_hiding:

Edited by Blorgh2017

Members
31 posts
3,537 battles

Jaguar seems popular, but I just tried it and I really don't what this ship is good for. It doesn't even have smoke. I was harassed for most of the battle by a CV with no chance to hide. 

From my limited experience with the ship, she seems to be sturdy (I survived despite the CVs permanent attacks) and has a small detection radius for airplanes. Guns seem to be good as well, but the detectability radius is large. The only thing I could think of doing with the Jaguar is to train for those tier VIII battles with radar.

Peter

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,542 battles
On 8/2/2019 at 8:09 AM, aardvark7734 said:

On 8/2/2019 at 8:18 AM, Wepps said:

LOL it's probably supposed to be there but with my luck the smoke isn't anymore. I've found it most successful and best for the team in coop to island hop. I know how to manipulate the cruiser to be effective and survive, usually.

It is actually something you have to enable (ie; smoke screen timer).

From your port go to Settings>Controls and check the box that turns it on and then hit Apply. It's in the middle at the very bottom right over the OK button.

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,542 battles

So I have all of the "new" French DD's; Siroco, Jaguar, Guepard, Vauquelin, La Fantasque, and Mogador. I even have Aigle and Le Terrible. IMO the entire line be it tech or premium is horrible. Some more than others. The only one I find even remotely decent is Aigle. Why? Because it actually has a smoke as any DD should in this game. Now this is based solely on Co-op play as the meta is different than PVP. In a passive meta where you can go dark and run and hide they may be fine but in Co-op where the bots always know where you are and will hunt you like a dog on a blood scent not having smoke is just so bad. I wouldn't care for them in PVP either but for Co-op they just are bad. Period. At least IMO and as always YMMV.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,496 posts
24,765 battles

The only one I'm missing now is Fantasque, and TBH I'm not too bothered about that. The idea of a smokeless DD would be fine if it was a bit bigger and had more punch... you know like a Cruiser!!!! First encounters are usually interesting I had a Mogodor duel this morning and I found I was actually holding my breath and leaning in to turns. Darn thing is fast on boost with speed flags. Felt like I was driving a speedboat.  Leading shots in that situation is also challenging! I managed to kill the other Mogodor by using the reload booster and eventually killed a KGV too after emptying 6 racks of torps at him, having to fire them as he approached range without encroaching my detection, most of which he managed to dodge despite unlocking target prior to firing .

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,496 posts
24,765 battles

I don't think you can until she is becomes a tech tree ship at the end of the event.

[PVE]
Members
11,852 posts
24,542 battles
10 hours ago, WulframWarrior said:

How does one remove the Jaguar from the inventory please???

Thanks...

2 hours ago, Efros said:

I don't think you can until she is becomes a tech tree ship at the end of the event.

As Efros said you can't until the line goes live next update. At that time you can sell it like any tech tree ship.

[_EASY]
Members
279 posts
13,489 battles

I got both the Jaguar and the Guepard out of free crates. I'll sell the Jaguar at the end of the event, but I'll keep the Guepard as it is not a bad bote for T6 play...

Edited by MWSVette1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
21 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So I have all of the "new" French DD's; Siroco, Jaguar, Guepard, Vauquelin, La Fantasque, and Mogador. I even have Aigle and Le Terrible. IMO the entire line be it tech or premium is horrible. Some more than others. The only one I find even remotely decent is Aigle. Why? Because it actually has a smoke as any DD should in this game. Now this is based solely on Co-op play as the meta is different than PVP. In a passive meta where you can go dark and run and hide they may be fine but in Co-op where the boys always know where you are and will hunt you like a dog on a blood scent not having smoke is just so bad. I wouldn't care for them in PVP either but for Co-op they just are bad. Period. At least IMO and as always YMMV.

A regular DD in Co-op is just so much more simple, and still effective.  Most especially if you get maps, map sections where it's wide open.  That's bad for the French DDs.  If you got islands, the FR DDs can use them as a "bastion" of sorts to work around, to get closer to the fight and surging out here and there for torpedo and gun runs, then back to cover.  But if it's wide open, especially in High Tier, those Cruisers will light you up if you got no cover to get behind any time soon.

Mogador.  I can get some great games with her, but life is so much more difficult than with the normal DDs.  FR DDs got to work harder for it even in Co-op.

Meanwhile, I can play Fletcher, Benham, etc. from the same tier, go up to a cap, even in a wide open map area, smoke up in front of all the Cruisers and I'll be safe.  I'll gun down the approaching enemy DD from smoke, HE spam the incoming Cruisers and Battleships from smoke, and dart in for a torpedo rush from smoke if the situation looks right.  The FR DD doesn't have these options, especially in maps with no cover in the engagement area.  The French 139mm guns are nice, but they're not going to get you lots of damage.  It's your torpedoes.  And employing torpedoes for success takes a bit of finesse with FR DDs compared to the normal DDs.  Living by the Gun for a FR DD only means you get focus fired by the bots.  And you got no smoke to save you.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,219 battles
On 8/3/2019 at 9:29 AM, Blorgh2017 said:

I think Jaguar is fine. I suppose there're better botes in the game that can do similar role, but I believe her true strength comes out whenever the speed booster is active. You can just zip past the bots and pepper them with 130mm shells, lol.

True, but every other non-Brit DD out there has smoke AND speed boost (the Brits get other perks). The Jag isn't all that fast compared to other T5s and only gets 2 charges stock. For a ship that relies on that speed boost as its only gimmick, it should have more. The fact that they bleed speed in turns further gimps their sole "advantage". A dodging Brit DD is probably faster than a dodging Jag with speed boost on. Certainly has better rudder shift/turn radius. The 130s seem pretty meh.

I KNOW there are much better botes in the game.

Sign in to follow this